This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stiff Leg Windmill: MN/PE1>iM - what weight to aim for?

Started by Philip Bedwell, June 14, 2016 · 28 Replies · 1,051 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
8 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Alessandro Mainente I did my first Foundation session today, and was able to do the windmills with 15% of my bodyweight (kettlebell), with the bottom arm far behind me in the bottom position. (I used to do kettlebell windmills, 20% bodyweight, 15+ reps, (so my body remembered the movement,)  but the hand touching between the legs, so this was new to me and very pleasant stretch). Shall I next time try for 20% bodyweight weight or is it getting too much weight? I suspect it's ok to increase more and more, as long as I have a great form?  Also, with "negatives", you mean going down super slowly? Or returning back to the standing slowly? I suspect going down? Just want to make sure. 

I would post a video form check with 15% bodyweight to doublecheck you're doing them right and, if you are, freely increase the weight little by little.

Suzanna McGee
1 hour ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I would post a video form check with 15% bodyweight to doublecheck you're doing them right and, if you are, freely increase the weight little by little.

Will do, Daniel, next time I do my Foundation exercises. Today was my first session, I went through all 7 of them, and just wanted to test myself if I can do the mastery level (as I have a good basic fitness levels). It took quite long time as I was checking the instructions too to make it right. So I didn't have time to video film. I did all of them at the mastery amounts of reps/seconds, so I passed "my test", however I will keep doing them over and over and fine-tune my technique… and take videos for form check. Thank you!!!!

Alessandro Mainente

Negative is the descend part of a repetition, it works well especially on single leg work.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 7/28/2016 at 6:53 PM, Wesley Tan said:

For Russian twists, 30 reps means 15 per side if that is what you are referring to Michael.

For beginners starting stiff leg windmills 3-5 kg is plenty. The emphasis is on both the hips (adductors/hamstrings) and shoulders (rotation movement). It is not a strength exercise, it is a mobility exercise, emphasis should be on building smooth, controlled motion and regaining full range of motion both on hips and shoulders. 

Eventually the bottom hand will reach through the legs and touch the floor behind the body, and the upper arm will experience very large amounts of rotation. 

Adding more weight will build more strength through the range and help the body open up, but do not be in a rush!

 

This. This is the info I needed. I wish someone was willing enough to bookmark and collect all these tidbits into a useful list/summary for most of the beginning elements. Too bad the wiki has disappeared...