This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Problem with workout scheduler

Started by James Tipman, June 13, 2016 · 15 Replies · 372 Views

James Tipman

Hi,

I moved onto the Foundation workouts last week.  It being part way into the week I scheduled Wednesday and Thursday to do mastery testing for all of the movements that I'm working on (I have no access to any way to do the rope climbing stuff yet).  Anyway, I scheduled mastery testing, did it, logged it.  Since I had to do that through the more advanced view, I also set up (before I did any of the workouts) this week for the workouts and recovery that I'm doing, and set it to mastery testing too, on the assumption that the results from last week would propagate through the system.  This doesn't appear to have happened, as I have mastery scheduling on today's workout.  So should I go back and manually change the workouts to what I tested at by the guidelines in the documentation, or is there some way to prod the workout scheduler into evaluating my mastery and updating?

Thanks,

James

Tyson Rogers

I'm interested in this too.

 

Also, not sure how to schedule the mastery testing.

James Tipman

I did it in the advanced view.  When you select the movement (Manna for example) you can select "Mastery Testing" at the bottom of the list of steps (So like instead of PE1 or wherever you are.).  But I may not have done it right given my current problems.

Cory Fair

It may well be that you entered some workouts for this week before logging last week. If there's a schedule already you won't get a new one. Trashing the workouts will regenerate the schedule based on your results. I did this in your case. 

Please notice that since you passed a couple elements for PE1 that there will be PE2 mastery tests this week.

James Tipman

Cool.  Thanks Cory.

Ashe Higgs

the workout scheduler is an awesome addition but there's definitely a steep learning curve.

Coach Sommer

Hi Ashe,

What is it specifically you are struggling with with the workout scheduler?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

James Tipman

Viewed from the outside, it's been designed to be something that "Just Works."  That said it's not quite as intuitive to me as it is to you guys, and would benefit from a little documentation showing how to plug in your workout, and how and when it automatically updates your workout program.  Anyway, just my two cents.

Ashe Higgs
2 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Ashe,

What is it specifically you are struggling with with the workout scheduler?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi Coach, thanks for checking in!
I kind of agree with James comment that it's not quite as intuitive at first.  It reminds me of Drupal in the sense that it's a bit "developer-centric" if that makes sense.

I just spent about 30 or 40 minutes playing around with it and I think I have a better sense of how it works now, but one suggestion would be to change the verbiage on the submission button to "update" as opposed to "add to workout" as that can throw folks, especially ESL users in cases where, say you're deleting one or more items from a days workout. My initial thinking was "what the heck, I don't want to add, I'm trying to remove an exercise!", but figured it out.

Up till now I had put together my own WODs on a spreadsheet before the WOD scheduler was available, so I'm just now looking at using it.  One thing I'm not clear on is: will the schedule automatically rotate for the following week?  ex. I select the x3 / week schedule,  it schedules MN and SL only one day.  Will the following week rotate to that you do MN and SL twice the following week and vice versa?  It seems like it would be hard to progress doing a strength element only once every week...  I tried to click ahead one week to see if that was the case, but you're not allowed to look at the following week if you haven't completed the current week. I get why that's the case, but it does make it a bit hard to get a full sense of how to use the scheduler fully IMO.

Screenshot (30).png

Ashe Higgs
51 minutes ago, James Tipman said:

 would benefit from a little documentation showing how to plug in your workout, and how and when it automatically updates your workout program.  Anyway, just my two cents.

Hey James, I would be happy to do a short screen cast showing you what I have figured out so far if you think it would be of help to you.

James Tipman

Hi Ashe,

Thanks for the offer, but I think I've got the hang of it.  It works pretty well, but you just need to be introduced to a couple key procedural things for the rest to click in.

Now I'm off to more difficult problems, like how to get gymnastic rings into my apartment.  I haven't found a good solution for that quite yet. 

James

Cory Fair
15 minutes ago, Ashe Higgs said:

Hey James, I would be happy to do a short screen cast showing you what I have figured out so far if you think it would be of help to you.

We do already have an updated tutorial and even emailed everyone about it (http://my.gymnasticbodies.com/3-tips-to-succeed-in-foundation-one/).

Guys, we will make improvements where needed but the process doesn't have to be overly complicated.

1. Stay with the basic view. Use the setup tab at the beginning of the week if you need to change days (which shouldn't be frequent).

2. Log on the same day you had a workout and click the log tab and enter how you did.

3. That's it. The vast majority of issues I see are that students wait until mid week to try to change workouts or wait until Monday without having logged any workouts. 

Cory Fair

Ashe,

You are correct, the scheduler will automatically rotate your 3 day a week workout between elements.

Ashe Higgs
1 hour ago, Cory Fair said:

We do already have an updated tutorial and even emailed everyone about it (http://my.gymnasticbodies.com/3-tips-to-succeed-in-foundation-one/).

Yes sir, I just caught that email in my inbox. I was going coming back to post the link, but you beat me to it.

Thanks for the continued effort on the part of the GB team to bring us the best.

Ashe Higgs
1 hour ago, James Tipman said:

Hi Ashe,

Thanks for the offer, but I think I've got the hang of it.  It works pretty well, but you just need to be introduced to a couple key procedural things for the rest to click in.

Now I'm off to more difficult problems, like how to get gymnastic rings into my apartment.  I haven't found a good solution for that quite yet. 

James

Yeah, that was my experience as well. You just need to play with it a bit.

Todd Mallory

I've learned much about the workout scheduler from the intro articles and forums and very much appreciate the set it and forget it (other than actually doing the work) aspect.  What I am struggling with is trying to set up the 5 day template.  I've changed templates a bunch of times and it still only gives me workouts for 3 days if I choose the 5 day template.  If I schedule 4 days it gives me 2.  I've decided to just do 3 days this week.  Either the software wants me to do 3 based on my super beginnerness or there is some karmic thing going on.  Either way I'm good. 

Todd