Integration of Gymnastic Training

Started by Leon Brouwer, June 8, 2016 · 4 Replies · 2,494 Views

Leon Brouwer

Hi,

I'm new to this site and I have a question regarding the integration of gymnastic training.

I have been training for approx. 6 years now, am 22 years old, and fairly strong (in a "moving external resistance" sense ie. barbell and strongmen training) and weigh 93 kg/ 205 lbs and am 191cm/ 6.27 inches

Recently I've developed an interest for gymnastic training and have been integrating it into my routine
I've been making good progress with the handstand, muscle up, front lever and lsit and pistols.

My training at the moment looks something like this (I train 3-4 times a week)
Upper Body 1:
Gymnastic Block
A1. Handstand practice 3-5 sets
A2. Front Lever Practice 3-5 sets
B. Muscle Ups 3-5 sets
Plyometrics
C. Med Ball Chest Pass 3x5
Weightlifting Block
D. Bench Press 5+/3+/1+ scheme (basically 1 heavy set to close failure)
E1. Dips 3x6-8
E2. Barbell Rows 3x6-8
F1. Ring Pushups 3x8-12
F2. Ring Rows 3x8-12

Lower Body 2:
Gymnastic Block
A1. Pistols 3-5 sets
A2. L Sit holds 3-5 sets
Plyometrics
B. Jumping complex
Weightlifting Block
C. Front Squats 5+/3+/1+ 
D. Bulgarian Split Squats 3x6-8
E. Calf work
F. Sled/ Sledgehammer/ Conditioning
G. Wrist&Grip work

+ 1 upper body day focused on barbell overhead press + 1 lower body day focused on deadlifts, with strongman and olympic training (snatches,deadlift,heavy farmers walks etc.)

I hope you understand roughly how I train

I do make good gains, also in the gymnastic part, however, I'm not 100% satisfied with the structure.

My passion will always be lifting, carrying heavy things as fast as humanly possible but I feel like gymnastic training is a crucial step towards the best bodily capacity I can build and I enjoy it very much.

What would be your suggestions to integrate gymnastics into my training?
Should I do it separately with high frequency (e.g. handstand, lsit, planche etc. 5x a week in the morning), should I dedicate a whole training day or two to gymnastic training and do it between my barbell strength training days or should I leave it combined with the barbell training?

I'm sorry for having a hard time to explain my problem but I hope you can understand 

Greets
 

Mikkel Ravn

Quick comment:Too much strength work, too little mobility. 

For info on how to program this, look into the Foundation, Handstand and / or the Stretch courses. 

Welcome on the forum! 

Gabriel Nunez

Like Coach said, we tend to focus too much on muscular development, but not enough on the development of our connective tissues: tendons, ligaments, etc. These tissues have a longer metabolic cycle (they take longer to heal/be replaced), so we have to spend considerable time on mobility, not just power. A balance of the two is best and all the programs offered at GB will help you with them. Good luck in training.

Leon Brouwer

okay, thank you very much!
 

Gabriel Nunez

You are welcome!