Skill Name?

Started by Sternford, November 23, 2009 · 30 Replies · 4,313 Views

Sternford

Is it acceptable that he uses his hands to push his legs?

Joshua Naterman

Sure, for learning purposes. You just slowly push less and less if your goal is to not use your hands at all. Eventually it will be there. It's actually kind of nice to have your hands on your legs because in the very unlikely event that you use this technique in a fight, your hands will already be between you and your opponent.

Blairbob

In gymnastics, we would prefer a pike and handspot it a lot or find some way to do it so you don't just end in a squat. This doesn't teach the proper mechanic of the head/neck-spring or handspring/flyspring(bounder).

However, doing it with straight legs to stand is gonna take a lot of pike snap.

Sternford

I don't think I've ever seen one with straight legs. Would you happen to have a video? I searched youTube but didn't find one.

dlsso

I don't recall ever seeing one where the legs stay straight the entire time. Most people (myself included) have a hard time even landing with the legs very straight.

Jamesters' is actually one of the better ones I've seen.

Coach Sommer
dlsso said:
I don't think I've ever seen one with straight legs

You need to get out to more gymnastics gyms :).

Mastering various kips and headsprings with straight legs are an essential first step in eventually learning correct front handsprings and bounders.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer