Skill Name?

Started by Sternford, November 23, 2009 · 30 Replies · 4,313 Views

Sternford

I've been working on something recently and I do not know if there is a name for it or if it's useful at all.

HERE is a video of it. Today was the first day I tried doing it outside of the gym so I had a pillow down. Most times I come right down. Thoughts?

I wasn't sure what forum to put it in

Blairbob

I believe this would be considered a back kip to HS. I've never tried it, but I should.

Sternford

Do you think it would be possible to slowly decrease the speed of the kip to the point where it's just a candlestick type push up?

Blairbob

well, it may be possible to push up while lifting the hips toward candlestick slowly

Gregor
Sternford said:
Do you think it would be possible to slowly decrease the speed of the kip to the point where it's just a candlestick type push up?

Yes.

John Sapinoso

I wanna see straight arm and slow

[=

jl5555

My first thought on seeing you perform this is that I hope you don't injure your neck doing this. You should make sure you're fully warmed up prior focusing specifically on the neck. Having padding under C7 is also good as well.

I don't think you need to do this so explosively and could slow down the movements substantially. From the pike roll up onto your shoulders pushing the feet back behind the head (keep the legs straight). From there pike up into a shoulder stand, chin to chest, straight body. Press to headstand, but ideally straight though to handstand.

The part to worry most about re the neck is the transition from shoulder stand to headstand. Be very careful here that you definately use your arms to get through that and I would say it's preferable to put as little pressure on the head after the shoulder stand...

Gregor
jl5555 said:
My first thought on seeing you perform this is that I hope you don't injure your neck doing this. You should make sure you're fully warmed up prior focusing specifically on the neck. Having padding under C7 is also good as well.

Nonsense.

Seiji

I was thinking the same thing gregor.

Any athletic person has a good neck really. I would be worried if it was someone who works at a desk job or plays WOW all day. One of my friends (who does the 2nd) almost got whiplash from a roller coaster. I thought it was funny, he thought it was painful.

jl5555
Gregor said:
....

Nonsense.

Any particular part or just everything is nonsense?

I'm just curious as I am not a gymnast but certainly try my best to do some things and some of the WOD. My only, limited skill comes from some decent yoga practice. From the video posted above that is a skill that would be practiced in a moderate level yoga class, albeit at a much slower pace. I suppose an elite gymnast or even a longtime Gymnastic Bodies adherent might not have an issue with this but I haven't seen any posts here at all regarding shoulder stands. It sure looks to me as though this movement transitions through a shoulder stand.

I guess I don't understand the difference in mechanics but I'm just the new guy.

Joshua Naterman
jl5555 said:
Gregor said:
....

Nonsense.

Any particular part or just everything is nonsense?

I'm just curious as I am not a gymnast but certainly try my best to do some things and some of the WOD. My only, limited skill comes from some decent yoga practice. From the video posted above that is a skill that would be practiced in a moderate level yoga class, albeit at a much slower pace. I suppose an elite gymnast or even a longtime Gymnastic Bodies adherent might not have an issue with this but I haven't seen any posts here at all regarding shoulder stands. It sure looks to me as though this movement transitions through a shoulder stand.

I guess I don't understand the difference in mechanics but I'm just the new guy.

Because it is a kipping movement, the upward momentum takes almost all of the weight off of the neck during the transition.

Gregor
slizzardman said:
jl5555 said:
Gregor said:
....

Nonsense.

Any particular part or just everything is nonsense?

I'm just curious as I am not a gymnast but certainly try my best to do some things and some of the WOD. My only, limited skill comes from some decent yoga practice. From the video posted above that is a skill that would be practiced in a moderate level yoga class, albeit at a much slower pace. I suppose an elite gymnast or even a longtime Gymnastic Bodies adherent might not have an issue with this but I haven't seen any posts here at all regarding shoulder stands. It sure looks to me as though this movement transitions through a shoulder stand.

I guess I don't understand the difference in mechanics but I'm just the new guy.

Because it is a kipping movement, the upward momentum takes almost all of the weight off of the neck during the transition.

:wink:

Gregor

Even if it wouldn't be a kipping movement, it's not necessary that neck would have any pressure, if the exercise is done correct.

Joshua Naterman

True, if the athlete is strong enough to press up from there it still wouldn't be a problem.

Seiji

No handed kip up, however, will leave you with a sore neck.

Joshua Naterman

Backwards? Sure. Forwards? No way, the pop should come from the shoulder blades. not the neck and head.

Seiji

Backwards and forwards? Pop? What?

I'm talking about this. Sadly, I can't find a good one with no hands D:<

Of9ihTgvnR4

Besides, Jamesters is awesome.

Joshua Naterman

Hell yea, Jamesters kicks ass. For the no hand version, you just start pushing less and less with your hands, and more and more with your shoulders against the ground. You can do it exactly like he does, but without the hands. It looks really cool :P

Sternford

This an okay one?

PRhL0ZBjouM

Seiji

Well, your hand ones are the same as my no hand ones. We get no height and just barely make it into a really low squat.

Slizzard... do you by chance go to TricksTutorials.com or watch james' gogo dancing? LMFAO

Sternford

That's not me, you just said you couldn't find one

Joshua Naterman

Your no-hander is better than your hands kip up! As it should be. Your kip with the hands would be better if you explode immediately from the rolled back position instead of letting yourself fall just that slight bit first, you can see it if you watch your vid!

No, I don't go to those websites but I have seen some of his videos mentioned here before :) So I checked them out.

Sternford
slizzardman said:
Your no-hander is better than your hands kip up! As it should be. Your kip with the hands would be better if you explode immediately from the rolled back position instead of letting yourself fall just that slight bit first, you can see it if you watch your vid!

No, I don't go to those websites but I have seen some of his videos mentioned here before :) So I checked them out.

You meaning whoever that is in the video

Seiji

I found videos of the same thing, so I assumed that one was you. Meaning: they suck, and I couldn't find a video of someone doing it well LOL

Joshua Naterman
Sternford said:
slizzardman said:
Your no-hander is better than your hands kip up! As it should be. Your kip with the hands would be better if you explode immediately from the rolled back position instead of letting yourself fall just that slight bit first, you can see it if you watch your vid!

No, I don't go to those websites but I have seen some of his videos mentioned here before :) So I checked them out.

You meaning whoever that is in the video

Yes, whoever is in the video :) Oops :P