This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curl and Lower Back Pain / Failure

Started by William Enck, June 7, 2016 · 10 Replies · 472 Views

William Enck

GST is my latest experiment in resolving chronic lower back pain. I've had MRIs, which show some degeneration, but for someone in their early 30's that is to be expected. The most likely explanation is a persistent strain in my lower back from bad posture. I'm actively working on my posture when standing, bending over, etc. I've read many posts suggesting that GST will help over a long period of time, and I full expect it will take months if not years to fix.

I was able to make it through PE1 without significant problems. However, when I do Jefferson Curls with even a 5lb dumbbell, I'm fine until I start flexing the last few vertebrae. I then get a short jolt of muscle pain in my lower back as I uncontrollably drop a few inches. It feels like the muscles in my lower back fail. This is consistent with my prior experimentation with my chronic back pain. I have no issues curling back up to standing position.

So here's my question: Should I keep doing the Jefferson Curls despite the pain? Or should I find an alternative mobility exercise that will allow me to build up to Jefferson Curls?

Thanks for any insights!

Mark Collins

Drop the weight to one kg. Remember that you are still loading the lower back with the weight of the upper body. Do not push it so that your back gives way. This is an ihibition(muscle turns off to protect you) of the muscle and is risky. 

Jon Douglas

The forces on the spine are quite significant in this movement; remember that it is deliberately reducing the leverage. A little goes a long way; when injury is in the picture, you may not *have* a long way to go.

Take care with it :)

 

Edit;

That said if you are healthy and your back pain is not a symptom of anything, it may be enough to simply stop at the first sign of pain, shortening the ROM, and only very gradually extend to the full movement. But it's a better solution to perform full reps with lighter weight :)

William Enck

Thanks, Mark and Jon! This is helpful advice. I did some more experimentation tonight. Even when I use no weight, I get a small amount of inhibition in my lower back. I'm trying Jon's suggestion and shortening the range of motion, stopping at the first sign of pain. Since I have some inhibition even with no weight, I'm using no weight for even this version. I'll see if this version gives more a greater range of motion without pain over time.

I was also unaware of the term "inhibition" for this symptom. So now I have a new search term for research. Already turning up some interesting articles. Thanks!

Nick Ebner

@William Enck What is your pike mobility and rotational mobility like? Do you have tight piriformis? 

Anders Löfgren

A lot of advice in this thread will be helpful for me as well, thank you. 

Could someone explain the "mechanisms" behind this Weighted exercise? And are there more benefits than flexibility? 

Leonhard Krahé

You build both mobility and strength in spinal flexion.

Mike Bowerman

Did you have any success with the lower back pain and Jefferson Curls in the end @William Enck? Thanks for any updates, I have had a history of lower back pain which started resolving doing GB, but recently flared up and I think JCs were the trigger. 

Chad Moffitt

Hi William,

When I started Jefferson curls my back used to go out either immediately, or over the next day or two after doing the exercise.  You might find some good info in that thread:

Jefferson Curl-back goes out

I went back to zero weight, and doing JCs a couple times a day.  It's taken me about a year of taking it very, very carefully, and now my back doesn't go out, and I'm very very carefully increasing weight (at 8kgs currently).  I usually do a couple of JCs a day as desk breaks.  Hopefully the thread gives you some ideas or help....

William Enck

I thought I would follow up on this. Between work travel and kids, my training is inconsistently consistent (i.e., I am consistent for 4-6 weeks, and then get thrown off my routine and have to fight to get back on it). However, I'm happy to say that I am doing weighted Jefferson Curls with 15 lbs now, no problem. It has been a long progression from unweighted.

The biggest thing that helped me was to make sure that I pull in at my belly button as I'm curling down. This caused my abs to stabilize my core as I was lowering. I started by going as far as I could go without the pain and then going back up. After a while, I learned that I could simply pause at that point, and then slowly lower past the problem point. I continued this for quite some time before going to a 5 lb dumbbell, then eventually 10 lb, and most recently 15 lb.

Pauline Taube

Hi William, 

Awesome progress and thanks for sharing your experiences. Do you have any before after photos/videos? 

Looking forward to follow your continuous progress :)