This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curl - Back goes out

Started by Chad Tall, July 17, 2015 · 20 Replies · 1,008 Views

Chad Tall

Hi Guys,

I've been searching/reading this forum about Jefferson Curls, now I need to add to the noise.

 

I have been on Foundation one for about a year.  I've been working at Jefferson Curls for probably 6 months now, and I've been very cautious with weight and intensity because it feels like a back-dangerous move to me.  My back has gone out several times over this period from doing Jeffersons, so I've now switched to doing just the negative (toward the floor) which seems to work well. I feel the work and the stretch, and it feels challenging but good.  Almost every time I've tried to reintroduce the upward motion (after a microcycle or two of doing just negatives), my back goes out, or fairly soon after.

 

What are your thoughts:

  • Do you think lightly weighted negatives are a good way to build up? (I've been using around 3kg/ 6lbs)
  • How do I progress to doing a full Jefferson Curl when almost every time I try the upward part, my back goes out?

I should also mention I've been to a back specialist and I was told there's nothing massively wrong with my spine.

Mark Collins

Use less weight.

What exercises are you currently at with foundation? Are you doing the stretch series?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Your back goes out?! Woah, definitely use less weight. Pain is no gain. Do you HS routines? They start with a wooden rod and increase weight with a 1.25lbs. Not to say you need to go that low or increase at that rate but it's worth considering.

Chad Tall
Mark Collins said:

Use less weight.

What exercises are you currently at with foundation? Are you doing the stretch series?

I'm still quite early in most exercises. Over a year I have taken occasional breaks from GST (Probably twice I've changed to a different workout for a month), and I favour repeating a microcycle rather than rushing ahead.  Currently I'm in the final block of these:

SLS/PE2

FL/PE2

SPL/PE2

HBP/PE2

RC/PE1

SL/PE2

MN/PE2

 

I don't currently do the Stretch series.  I have Handstand series but haven't been able to fit it in to my week as yet.

Keilani Gutierrez

if you need to take small steps to progress, you gotta do it.

I did waist high incline pushups for close to a year to get mastery due to a past shoulder dislocation that wasn't properly dealt with. let your body take its time and go at the pace it sets. the journey for us all starts with foundation but we all have different pasts, of course. some of us just have to work a little longer on some bits.

also listen to what Mark Collins has to say on your recovery, he's a GB Athlete, so he knows what your going through and he's a physiotherapist. he's insightful and has been very helpful in helping me troubleshoot some pre-existing hip issues. :)

Jeremy Huston

Do partial range of motion. With mobility you don't have to do the full ROM from the beginning. (Of course full ROM for mastery.)

Mark Collins

The front split series will really help the Jefferson curls get better.

Through the day try to get in as many unweighted Jefferson curls as possible. This can be as simple as on rep when you go to pick up your shoes. You will find as you get better at the FL series your PPT will improve which helps the Jefferson curls.

I had the same problem as you. My back would feel so fragile after Jefferson curls that I had to drop to 1-2kg. It is a sign that your spine needs time to adapt, so go slow.

Cole Dano

Can you please post a form check so we can also verify your form isn't part of the issue.

Chad Tall

Thanks for your responses guys, I really appreciate it. 

I've uploaded two form checks, which may give some more info.

  1. Jefferson Curl - no weight.  (It felt scary, but here it is)  Youtube Link
  2. Jefferson Curl - light weight, negative only. (This is what I have been doing in my workouts) Youtube link

[edit] These videos are now both viewable (one was accidentally private)

chuchodani

Your motion is not good, take a look at the video again. You need to keep the weight really near to you body in order bend vertebrae by vertebrae, the descend and the ascend must be slowly, smooth and controlled, your knees are bending. Read this topic and you can see how I improved my jefferson curl using the cues that people from GB gave me.

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/18263-jefferson-curl/

Chad Tall

Thanks for that @chuchodani, that thread has some good stuff in it and your progress was great to watch. 

 

Mark, Cole do you have any thoughts about my form ?

 

Mark I've been trying non weighted Jefferson's and problem I'm having is that I'm tipping over backwards without the weight to pull me forward. That's why you see me reaching that far forward in the video.  Any thoughts on that?

 

 

Mark Collins
chuchodani said:

Your motion is not good, take a look at the video again. You need to keep the weight really near to you body in order bend vertebrae by vertebrae, the descend and the ascend must be slowly, smooth and controlled, your knees are bending. Read this topic and you can see how I improved my jefferson curl using the cues that people from GB gave me.

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/18263-jefferson-curl/

This is really good advice. Apart from this you need to add the front split series. You may also need some manual therapy to loosen up stiff joints and tight muscles that you have developed over the years.

Cole Dano

Thanks for posting the video.

In addition to the good advice above.

Can you see that movement has a major hitch in it once you get into you lower back? And once you get into that area you speed through it? You move directly from your upper back to your hip joint and skip the rolling of the lower back on the way down.

Slow down, try to smooth that out, the moment the disconnect starts end the rep and roll back up. So it might only be a quarter rep.

Also try the same from the bottom rolling up as smoothly as possible and back down.

Over time the two ends should come together and you'll have a smooth Jefferson Curl.

Don't add weight until you've accomplished this. Post form checks from time to time so we can aid your progress.

Glenn Mac Cnáimhin

Hi Chad,

 

You could also try doing the Jeff Curls against a wall. It'll offer support and will allow you to feel each vert as you roll down/up.

Chad Moffitt

Hi All,

I've been chipping away at the Jefferson Curls for ages since we last spoke.  I started with doing un-weighted curls several times a day, then began adding very light weight in my actual workouts.  I haven't had a back blowout from this in quite a long time, which has been a great.  I'm currently OK with 5kg.  This is my form as it currently is.  Keen to hear your thoughts on current form, and whether you reckon I should keep adding weight with how it's currently looking.

 

Chad Moffitt

Hi guys,

Just a checkin with my current progress. Currently doing 8kgs (about 10th body weight) and feels OK.  If you see any problem with my form, please sing out :-)

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Chad,

Your J-curls are coming along pretty well. It looks like you could get a bit more curl in your lower back. Also, be careful not to let your knees bend at the bottom of your reps.

Chris Umiastowski

Looks to me like you're not keeping your chin tucked into your chest near the bottom. I was just watching the tips video today for this exercise and I noticed that was KEY feedback.  There's a huge improvement in this last video compared to the first one you posted, but the neck seems like something you can improve on.  Curious if Jeffrey agrees or not since he's been giving me solid advice in video reviews.

Michael Vetter

Sorry, non english native here. What does it mean when "ones back goes out" ?

Chad Moffitt

@Michael Vetter great question. Most people use this figure of speech when they experience sudden and sharp pain in their back — what’s known as acute back pain — while doing some activity.   Maybe you're leaning over to pick something up and >CLICK< something suddenly happens in your back:pain, ache and massively reduced ability to move.

 

Michael Vetter

Alright I see :)