It's as reasonable as anything can be. Just make sure you pay more attention to your injury than your calendar! ![]()
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Video on Page 8
Started by Seiji, November 16, 2009 · 119 Replies · 7,266 Views
Yea, hehehe.
Last question, should these things be done every day? (if painless)
Not really, 3-4x a week is going to work better for you I think. Maybe some really stupid easy stuff just to move on off days, but like half of the resistance you use with your normal rehab work. You need the rest, what you are rehabbing are muscles just like all the others.
Thanks again
You always come in handy.
SO! I went to the physical therapist. It was amazing.
I only have a little inflamation... the only pain she found was from a front raise at full force.
I bought a theraband, which will really come in handy. She gave me a new routine of 6 exercises to do twice a day. I have weak postural muscles, which could help cause problems in the future. I didn't know it caused my shoulders to rotate internally. It suggests I have shoulder stability problems... which is probably true, I can dislocate them when I pull down on them. The good (or bad, I don't know) news is that I can externally rotate my shoulders 117 degrees.
I'm going to be doing physical therapy for about three months. WOO!
I actually like it a lot, I enjoy it. Maybe it's because I've been deprived of exercise, maybe it's fun to roll around (with a purpose) on a physio ball, I don't know, but I like it. I may even consider *gasp* going to college for this. I'm very irrational and stuck with not going to college when people argue with me, but this might be the thing I go for. I could definitely enjoy it. I'm sure it pays well too.
The great news I figured out today... I'll be building up my planche without working on it. Human flag too! I think it's extremely unexpected. I figured this because I have to do postural exercises to fix some problems and I'm doing stuff that involves my shoulders (duh). I found out that my shoulder mainly had problems with clicking and producing full force while trying to do a front raise motion. Exactly what's needed for planche!
I mentioned human flag because I get to do side planks, for shoulder stability, but also for my obliques, the weak link of my flags. Also, some of the postural exercises require wide pull ups at an angle, which will help out those muscles too.
I'm ecstatic!
Still on glucosamine doing the therapist's exercises.
I don't do them if my shoulder doesn't feel good. Which has only happened once so far.
Three months was a guess, probably too small of a time frame. I don't have any clue on how long this will go for.
Although I haven't posted in a while, I've still been lurking the forums, don't you worry!
I'm out of Physical therapy, I had 9 sessions, and the last one ended on wednesday. I'll probably go see my doctor soon, to check back.
I tried not taking my glucosamine to see if that actually had an impact, and I really couldn't see too much of a difference. I only have a few left, maybe 10-15 days worth, so I'll finish those up. I've been really good with not taking the Ibuprofen as well. I only took it on bad days, which have basically zero'd out now. I'm definitely getting better.
Thanks for telling me Ibuprofen slows healing... I feel much better than when I started. I haven't had any (on a scale of 1-10 in pain) 4+ since PT and not taking the stuff. You guys really helped me a lot, and I wish there was more to do to thank you besides typing "thank you".
I've been avoiding all things bicep too... no heavy lifting, unless it's a one arm job. I haven't tried squatting, but I know that when I used to have shoulder pain that I couldn't because it would hurt to hold onto the bar in back squats. I was afraid to try front squats because I didn't really understand the problem; I figured it would hurt me. I'll have to try on tuesday because it really shouldn't affect me. (theoretically)
Oh, and through PT I learned that my right scapular muscles (the ones that pull your scapula closer to your rib cage) are weak, so they gave me some exercises to help with that. My natural posture sucked too
I wonder why my right ones were weak, but my left ones weren't... :/ Doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe I used to lean too much on one side and not the other.
I'd keep you updated more often, but there really isn't too much to say. ![]()
Well, today was the last day of school until my senior year of high school. So, me and my friends figured we should mess around. I came up with a video for it, and I'd adore sharing it with you all. I'm putting this in the workout log because: 1- I am an attention whore and 2- This probably counts as a workout. I'm the guy with the orange pants. (again with the orange!)
a3Av2rBpFlk
Two things:
1: Sick Flips. :twisted: I had fun on one of those air bouncies at a kids party this past weekend. I too was doing flips, but nothing like what you did.
2: I read a previous post you said about taking glucosomine. It reminded me that I should be talking it too, my knee started acting up a little today. So thanks.
You're welcome! I've been taking them for the past two months or so. I just got the ones you only need to take once a day. They're huge pills though *dies*
I'm thinking about going to school for physical therapy too seiji. what type of exercises did your PT tell you to do for your clicking shoulder, my shoulder clicks when I do front shoulde raises and planche stuff also.
Well, I can't know if you have the same problem as me, but I can tell you why my shoulder clicked.
Tendonitis inflamed my bicep tendon in the shoulder... Your humerus (the upper arm bone) has a notch at the ball end where that fits. When your tendon is inflamed (as with my case), it can slip out of that notch. That's where the clicking comes from. You'd best get it looked at now because that clicked can cause serious damage to your tendon. If that notch isn't rounded (it might be, might not be) it can sort of cut away at your tendon, making it weaker. It can cause tendonitis; or worse, it could cause a tear in the tendon. When that happens, you might need surgery or get a shot of cortisone. Luckily, mine was healed well from my own treatment at home, so it was not as severe as when I first started physical therapy. I'd recommend icing it and avoiding heavy pulling if your arm ever acts up. I learned from GB that ibuprofen can slow healing, so if you ever need it (my doctor prescribed 3x the over the counter dosage - 600mg), only take it when you need it.
Exercises, I did mostly light pulling exercises. I started each session with the "arm bike". It's basically a stationary bike for your arms. I did that for I believe 5 or 6 minutes at first, then I did 8 minutes every time near the end. After that, with no specific order, I did pulldowns (35? lbs), rows (35 lbs), and various posture fixing exercises with 2 and 3 lb weights. (I have lousy posture in my upper back, my right scapular muscles are weak) I also did a few exercises with a resistance band, some bench pressing (40 lbs) and push ups later on. Eventually I had the fun of walking with my hands on an exercise ball and doing push ups on one of those half physio ball things. I also did planks and side planks for shoulder stability, as well as an exercise where you make circles on a wall with a medicine ball.
I really enjoyed it, it was fun and the people were nice. I learned quite a bit of extra stuff too.
Well, you all can assume I took up slacklining. I practiced for quite a while today - it's very fun.
I found out that I can do a few things. The harder sounding ones are inconsistent. I'd say this is great for a first day.
I can sit on the line and stand up, sit on the line and bounce, stand for sometimes 30+ seconds on one leg (same time for two), kneel on the line, walk about four steps, and I can bounce in place with two feet. I probably practiced for about 2 hours total today. The first and longer session was fun, but the second one became very frustrating and I decided to quit before losing my temper.
Sometimes I can feel that I'm still standing on the line when I'm on the ground... I'm assuming it's because I'm more aware of my balance now, even though it's only been one day.
Slacklining is hard in a skill kind of way - it is not physically taxing. (as far as I know) I noticed that if you try to stand on one leg for extended periods of time, the muscle that runs to your big toe under your foot starts to burn. This might be just me leaning forward though.
I'm having a hard time putting rings up, but I'm going to because my stepdad wants to use them
He was only really interested in pull ups, BUT I happened to have a copy of BtGB which I gave him to look at. Hopefully he'll get into it. He's pretty (being a little generous here) out of shape, but I think he would do well if he could stick to working out again.
Obviously since my rings are a PAIN IN THE *** to put up, I won't be slacklining unless I get more cargo straps. A good bit of news for the rings is that I bought some carabiners, so now it'll be safe to use the rings however we choose to use them. They used to just hang on a hook (no problems ever), but it'll be safer.
I had an idea today as I watched some parkour and freerunning videos... Can you train your ability to jump higher (strength jumping/standing stumbling, not reactive jumping) by falling off of high things and simply landing? Your shoes would hate you for it, but it seems logical. When you jump, you exert the most amount of force you can in a short time... It gets easier to jump after momentum gets going, so you can gain benefits from training that way... But what if you did negatives? That's basically my idea. When you fall, you land and exert that maximum force again, but this time, it can get harder or even stay the same in difficulty to stand back up after landing. We all admire how far these parkour/freerunners can jump, (daniel ilabacca's 19 ft gap) and they do a ton of landing from high places.
Obviously rolling would defeat the purpose of the exercise, so I'm proposing that you could simply land on your feet and stand back up. I'm going to test how well it works - I'm a reactive jumper, I can jump higher and farther off of one leg than two, so the results (if my theory is correct) would help me out and would be a good testament to how well it works.
A little background for my jumping... I tried last week to touch the rim of a regulation basketball hoop; I couldn't do it. I got about half a foot higher off of one leg than two, but I also did a spin when I tried
I was about an inch or two away from the rim though :/ I promptly did an aerial and landed in a pirouette to prove my manhood (lol, jk)
Well, I've gotten back into training martial arts... I can't practice punches or blocks yet because they're too demanding on my bicep, but I've gotten my kicks back. One thing I did notice on the punches that I did, they've gotten slower. Not. Cool. I'll start on my left arm again, but my right is going to be left in the shadows. I guess it'll give me time to get my left arm caught up in speed. Funny thing, I've never been able to do a OA push up, possibly because I've never been healed while trying, on my right arm, but I can with my left. My kicks are as good as they ever have been, and I was messing around with multiple flying kicks today. I managed three and didn't go for four, but I think tomorrow I'll try for four because I had enough height in one move to pull it off.
Once or twice a day (since yesterday) I mess around with inverted planche, and now my triceps sore because of it. Right now I'm working on various exercises that will get me a manna, which I desperately need
My rear deltoids are weak.
I'm going to start doing a warm up routine twice a day that I found in a taekwondo book so that I can improve my flexibility and get back where I should be. My flexibility hasn't gotten worse, but I think my pike and straddle splits could use some improvement. I can only do full straddle splits on a machine because I don't weigh enough to push myself all the way down! lol The same thing happens in a butterfly stretch. I can press both knees to the floor, but only when I have something heavy to hold one leg down while I push the other. Splits have a manageable pain, but the butterfly stretch isn't painful at all. I think either my hips naturally tilt of my left leg is more flexible than my right :/
I'm really starting to get excited... I'm going to a gymnastics gym for the first time ever on friday with some of my friends. You'll definitely see a video come out of the trip. I'm just going to a 1 hour open gym, but maybe I'll learn something new.
If I'm lucky, I might get a front tuck and a half... What do you call that anyways? A front tuck where you land in a roll. Same question with arabian. If you doubt me, I'd like you to know that my last video had a bad representation of my front tucks... Throwing your arms up and then back down is far better for height than simply throwing them down.
I doubt I'll get double backflip... highly doubt. You never know though; they have all the apparati I could need. Foam pit, trampoline track, tumble track, and plyo.
I am going to try a few double butterfly twists, imagine a double tong fei if you're unfamiliar with the term. I'm sure I can do them now.
Front pike, layout... I'd have them too. I can almost do them on grass, no excuse for doing them wrong in a gym.
Can you see how excited I am? Here I am, again, with somewhat unrealistic expectations. They might be crushed, but at least I'll try. That's the point right? I AM VERY EXCITED NOW. Just typing about it is making me more eager ![]()
Thanks.
I've been around here for a year now; since two days ago actually. I've learned a lot: Corrected bad habits, learned amazing new skills, heard great stories, etc. I think back at what it was like before all this... It wasn't great. I was bullied, I didn't stand up for myself; I was a pretty pathetic person. I thought I was smart and one of the best fighters of my age (I was a martial artist who got thrown off the path); but I realize that I definitely wasn't. I was an idiot, and I was weak.
I can see that I've improved over the time I started doing these gymnastic type things, in both ways; mentally and physically. I still think of myself as smart and a good fighter, but now I look at myself a different way than three years ago. I'm still a cocky, naive bastard, but now I know it (you guys know too!). I know my flaws, and I can see how to fix them. Oh, but it's not just me. You all have been there to help me. Without you guys, I wouldn't know most of the fitness related things I know now. You all have helped me grow so much, but there's nothing more to do than to type a few letters to show my gratitude. I've already said it multiple times, but thank you. All of you.
Onto the more interesting part!
I went to a gymnastics gym on friday night. I loved it. That was the most fun I have EVER had. Plyo floor is incredible... a couple of fuzzy carpets on top of a trampoline is what it feels like! I didn't realize how springy it was. I've always done flips in grass, and I've never been on a trampoline longer than two minutes. I jump pretty high naturally, some kids at my school went as far as saying I could fly. (hehe) Being on plyo... I did fly. I don't get very much airtime on ground... Maybe half a second. On plyo, I think I got another two feet of height. The first time I did a front tuck, I freaked out, I was going so high. Everything from a punch was far easier. I'd always heard that it doesn't help you jump, it just stops you from hurting your feet on landing. Obviously that's a total lie. I'd show you a video, but I'm having problems with the editing program. I accidentally deleted the major videos I had, so there isn't much to see. All I have now is three tricks.
The trampoline was amazing. Not the track, the big square one. That was so high that I was afraid even to jump high. I got a good 6-8 feet off of it. I probably could have gone higher too. I didn't try the trampoline track, there were people on it. There wasn't a rod floor at the place I went :/
I grabbed onto the high bar... that was also amazing. I didn't realize it bounced as much as it did. I tried to kip, but failed. I was thinking about messing around with the uneven bars, but I didn't want to embarrass myself
I didn't even try rings, but they looked more comfortable than mine ![]()
I'm a martial artist through and through. My life's goals are circled around martial arts. All of them. When I get a chance, I'm going to take up gymnastics. It was just so amazing, how could I resist doing something so fun and so good for you?
On a side note... I ran out of glucosamine a few days ago. I'd taken it for 60 days (1500 mg a day), and this is my evaluation: Didn't affect me. I felt no difference on it, and I feel no difference off of it. I saw a video a few days ago of modern "snake oil". There herbal supplements which are supposed to do good things for you; like DHEA, fish oil, glucosamine, various plant extracts... Do they actually help? It said no. This glucosamine, although I did believe in it, didn't affect me. I thus deem it a "snake oil" of modern times. Sorry, but you might want to consider buying it next time. In fact, all of the supplements you take. Do you notice an effect after prolonged periods? You might just decide next time that it's a waste of money. I bought glucosamine to help mend my tendonitis. I figured it would make all my shoulder movements a little easier, and might calm down the tendon. It didn't. It took just as long for the pain to go away this time than it did without it.
There are different kinds of glucosamine. Sulfate is the one that works better, not hydrochloride, and some people just don't respond to it, while others do.
I see... Hm :/