HS, PL and FL

Started by Fryk, November 16, 2009 · 28 Replies · 6,000 Views

Fryk

I have bad experience with negatives and static, as I have mentioned previously. Though I do think that this partial ROM might be better than negatives, for me anyway.

Three work-outs a week is just a little bit on the low side, and if we are talking about full body work-outs they will end up being terribly long, if they should indeed contain the same as the ordinary work-outs:

Statics, (handstand), push/pull x2, 3xcore, squats - perhaps DL. That is a lot of load in one session. Of course it facilitates more recovery time than a split schedule, but I recall reading that work-outs should not be more than an hour, this is looking more like two hours.

Joshua Naterman
Fryk said:
I have bad experience with negatives and static, as I have mentioned previously. Though I do think that this partial ROM might be better than negatives, for me anyway.

Three work-outs a week is just a little bit on the low side, and if we are talking about full body work-outs they will end up being terribly long, if they should indeed contain the same as the ordinary work-outs:

Statics, (handstand), push/pull x2, 3xcore, squats - perhaps DL. That is a lot of load in one session. Of course it facilitates more recovery time than a split schedule, but I recall reading that work-outs should not be more than an hour, this is looking more like two hours.

The reasoning behind workouts being around one hour as a "maximum" time is that when you are working out for more than 45 minutes continuously, testosterone levels start to drop and cortisol(catabolic hormone) levels start to rise from the stress. At an hour and 15 minutes the levels are approximately equal. After that there will temporarily be higher levels of cortisol, which means that it is possible for some catabolism to take place during that part of the workout. SO, for absolute maximum efficiency, you keep sessions at or under 75 minutes(preferably 60) and do multiple sessions per day on workout days in order to do all the work and minimize with more rest days in between to facilitate recovery.

Having said that, a two hour workout isn't going to keep you from getting results. But, if you are making effective use of your time, the workout you describe should not be difficult to complete in an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, and believe it or not it really isn't much of a load on your system. You will experience better results with the full body routine, but if you are making progress without it and don't want to change there is nothing wrong with that.

Fryk

We are talking about strength training, right?

Work like: handstand training, recovery / pre-hab / rehab - general sports activity outside this strength training schedule is allowed right? I dislike being inactive to state the obvious.

Joshua Naterman

Yea, strength training :P And that's nonstop work with never taking more than a minute or two rest. If you're getting a ten minute or thirty minute break in there at some point, the hormones won't be affected as much. And to add to all that, the hormone situation is temporary. It doesn't mean that your testosterone has disappeared.

Now, if you really push yourself to exhaustion in a sport, just know that will affect you a little bit on your recovery. Still, always live your life :) Working out should improve your life, not take away from it. Don't worry too much about that stuff. It's not uncommon for my workouts to go into the 90+minute range at times, when I feel like doing a few extra things. Doesn't bother me at all, I still get stronger all the time.