Fundamentals with Injury

Started by Jay Dunn, May 19, 2016 · 5 Replies · 2,573 Views

Jay Dunn

Hey,

So I have decided I want to start doing GST here, but just wanted a few things clarified to my specific circumstance. A little background information, I've had quite a lot of injuries over the years, and my last physio told me that my body is basically out of balance because of all of the sitting I do (I play poker for a living so don't really move much). My injuries include Achilles Tendonitis on both feet (one of which developed a Haglunds deformity) knee pain, shoulder issues, a little elbow pain and now plantar fasciitus (which is kind of the final straw that has made me want to sort everything out). Basically, considering all of these things, will the fundamentals and then a gradual move to the foundation and stretching courses help me or should I look at focusing on fixing at least some of my issues before doing so because they're so numerous? If yes, would the stretching element help in the beginning, or is it best to get fundamentals down first and then slowly introduce it (I have as much time as needed because of my job, so it really isn't an issue)?

Also, I've been reading the forums a lot and noticed quite a few of you are Physio's, or at least have a good understanding of the human body. I have Ducks Feet, which I'm confident is one of the causes of a lot of my ankle/foot problems (or symptoms of the real cause depending on how you look at it). One Physio I saw told me that there is nothing that can be done and it's just the way my body has formed, but another told me actually my lack of proper function in some of my muscles is what is causing it and once I can solve those I will correct my walk. Is there anybody here that knows if Ducks Feet can be fixed? If so, will the courses help me with that or are you aware of any specific exercises that will help sort the problem out?

Thanks for any help in advance with absolutely any of the issues you might be able to help with. It'll be nice to fix some of these and then look to getting some real strength and mobility gains in the future.

Cheers,

Jay

Mark Collins

Your problems will improve, but will depend on how long you have been stiff for. It could take years to correct. Fundamentals is a good place to start.

For your duck feet start trying to stand with your feet a little straighter. Also do this when you walk. The small changes you make daily will end up making a huge difference in the long run.

Jay Dunn

Hey Mark,

Thanks for such a quick reply. More than happy to let my body take as long as it needs to correct the problem.

With regards to walking with my feet straight, what should happen with my knees? The problem I have is when I rotate my feet forward, my knees then naturally point inwards. Should I be making a conscious effort to push the knees outwards and into line, or will my body slowly adjust as long as I keep my feet pointing forwards? I ask because sometimes when I try to do this and push my knees out it can cause some discomfort on the outside of the kneecap.

Thanks again.

Jay

Steve Epstein

Same topic, but different issue:

I've been recovering from a frozen shoulder for over 18 months. I've got about 90-95% of my mobility back, but still cannot fully flex my shoulder over my head and still don't have full rotation - e.g., I'm still having trouble with a Turkish Get-Up. I'm wondering if this program would help or hurt. I don't want to load a shoulder that isn't ready for it and amplify poor form, but it's unclear to me if the mobility issues are connective tissue or muscular (since they haven't been regularly to length for some time).

Any suggestions?

Jay Dunn
On 5/22/2016 at 3:09 AM, Steve Epstein said:

Same topic, but different issue:

I've been recovering from a frozen shoulder for over 18 months. I've got about 90-95% of my mobility back, but still cannot fully flex my shoulder over my head and still don't have full rotation - e.g., I'm still having trouble with a Turkish Get-Up. I'm wondering if this program would help or hurt. I don't want to load a shoulder that isn't ready for it and amplify poor form, but it's unclear to me if the mobility issues are connective tissue or muscular (since they haven't been regularly to length for some time).

Any suggestions?

Hey.

I went ahead with the course, and you certainly won't regret it. I also have shoulder problems, and what the fundamentals is great at is exposing the underlying imbalance that is causing the problems and gently dealing with them. 

It seems that it takes a while for these to be corrected, especially if they've been brought about by years of poor mobility, but because they are all body movements you can really only go to what your body is comfortable, as opposed to weighted exercises which can easily be too heavy too quick and lead to further injuries. Add to this that it is a gentle full body course to promote overall balance, and the team have done "Common Issues" videos to help people understand where they might be going wrong and how to compensate until form is correct, it really feels like it is designed for people like ourselves who are already injured to help get us back into working order and prepared for bigger and better GST work.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

Wish you all the best with your recovery,

Jay