No, I definitely recommend listening to Luke.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
MN/PE2>iM Check (Jefferson Curl)
Started by Iain McLean, May 18, 2016 · 38 Replies · 642 Views
14 hours ago, Luke Searra said:Great Lain! What I would like you to do is concentrate on the movement first, weight second. Stand on a box or bench and get as low as possible (below your feet), to do the full curl. You can add weight - it doesn't have to be in such big 5lb jumps, you can start with 25g or 50g if you like and work up from there - if form breaks or there is pain reduce the weight to the pain free weight. I would like to see 5x5 at each weight with no pain and wonderful form just like your last video.
I have one more question. Should I not progress with the accompanied strength element paired with the Jefferson curls so I can keep them in my training regime for a while? Alternatively should I move on and just keep doing 5X5 with Jefferson curls twice a week on top of my workouts?
It looks like you have a flexion hinge in the upper lumbar spine and the lower is not moving. You can see there is a kink in the upper lumbar spine and a flat spot lower. Now what is causing it? Too hard to tell without assessing you. It could be anything from tight hamstrings, stiff thoracic spine and ribs, an old lumbar injury.
Also try to keep the bar as close to the body as possible.
It is common to get sharp pain at our hinge points, so for you upper lumbar and thoracolumbar junction.
How long have you had this problem for?
24 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:It is common to get sharp pain at our hinge points, so for you upper lumbar and thoracolumbar junction.
How long have you had this problem for?
I first started having problems when I was 16 (six years ago). Then I was being treated mostly for scoliosis that seemed to be caused by muscle imbalances. The pain then was more just pain in the lumbar muscles not near the spine. It was not until about 2-3 years ago that it became more focused around the TL junction.
Can you post a picture of your pancake and seated pike from side on.
You are approaching this the absolute right way for sure, by prioritizing mechanics (in accordance with Wesleys advice), over forcing the extra depth Iain. Good Job so far.
You are flexing too much in the lumbar spine and extending the thoracic spine. You need to focus on anteriorly tilting the the pelvis and pushing the sit bones(ishial tuberosity) back so the flexion is more in the hips. As you improve doing this your JC will improve. You already have enough lumbar flexion for the JC, but you lack control of the hips/pelvis and your hamstrings are tight.
Thanks again @Luke Searra @Mark Collins for your input.
What you are saying makes a lot of sense to me Mark. I shall work away on this. Going to take some patience I'm sure.
Here is an update @Luke Searra and @Mark Collins. I've been working at 2.5 lbs for the past 4 weeks and feeling comfortable/pain free. How does the form look? I realize desired tempo is much faster but have just been going slow to nail down form.
What a huuuuge improvement, good job Iaian!!! I am impressed !
Just one cue, let your arms hang instead of role the weight down your legs.
Thanks @Luke Searra! I appreciate the support and the cue.
@Luke Searra It's been sometime, but I have been taking it slow with this movement and have progressed the weight gradually. I want to make sure I'm still on the right path.