This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE2>iM Check (Jefferson Curl)

Started by Iain McLean, May 18, 2016 · 38 Replies · 642 Views

Iain McLean

I would like to get an opinion on my Jefferson curl.  In this video I am doing it unweighted and very slow.  I struggle with pain day to day in mid back (around TL junction) so have been very careful not to add weight quickly with this exercise.  What kind of weight increments do you recommend increasing by?

Thanks in advance.

   

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Weight increments will vary depending on how long the previous amount of weight  was used.  Personally speaking. I use an amount of weight for at least 15 weeks before adding more. 5-10kg(about 10-20lb) increments might be common.
For the sake of information... 1kg is 2.2lb 
Before adding any weight, have your spine checked for "Subluxations" by a chiropractor and start treating your core muscles(Abs, lats, lower back, serrats, obliques, etc) similar to back belt when you lift, push, pull, and or carry anything relatively heavy.

Eva Pelegrin

Good start. If you can, bring the bar closer to your legs (more compression). Are you working with a physio or osteopath?
If you're starting with an unweighted bar I would be very conservative and use fractional plates or similar, after you adjust your form. Basically, the increments you can tolerate without pain when you are ready to add weight. Let your body tell you.

Check this post. You'll also find good moderator comments in my thread:

Iain McLean

Thank you both for the helpful information!    

I have had MRI work done and have been seeing an osteopath consistently now for the past 2 years now.  

I do have 2.5 and 5 lb plates that will allow me to increment slowly.  You seem to have quite the history with this element Eva.  Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your thread.  Very helpful to read through it.

 

Iain McLean

I feel like I have been making process with the Jefferson Curl.  I am working at 5lbs currently. I have been aiming for more compression, and trying to not pike at the hips as early.  I can currently get through 4 sets of 5 with almost none to a small amount of pain.  

Any tips on the current form?

 

Luke Searra

You're in the right place Lain. When you say pain what do you mean? Do you mean muscle stiffness, difficulty in the movement or actual joint or other pain?

Iain McLean
1 minute ago, Luke Searra said:

You're in the right place Lain. When you say pain what do you mean? Do you mean muscle stiffness, difficulty in the movement or actual joint or other pain?

Thanks for your response Luke.  I feel muscle stiffness locally around the TL junction that is also somewhat sharp but bearable.  It is most intense when the spine is pushed further from neutral.  In this movement, I am working hard to brace my mid section and not go too far into flexion around this area of my spine.  As my hamstring flexibility has improved, the stress on my back seems to be decreasing.

Luke Searra

Do you know what the actual problem in your TL is?

Luke Searra

Are you shooting your body so far forward to avoid pain? As far as  your movement in the last video I would like to see you have your hands pass just in front of your toes - another very good way to do this is with a kettle bell between two boxes.

Luke Searra

If you have not seen a professional to find out exactly what your problem is, please do so.

Iain McLean

MRI just shows some degeneration from T11 through L3 with small schmorl's nodes.  I've had it professionally checked by a few professionals (chiropractor, physio and osteopath).  I'm generally more intolerant to extension than flexion, but have to be careful with both.  

I think my body is shooting far forward as a result of me not trying to bend too much at the mid back to avoid pain there.

Luke Searra

If you lower the weight can you do the movement without pain?

Iain McLean

Without weight I still experience some discomfort, feels more like muscle stiffness.

Luke Searra

Can you get full range of motion without weight?

Iain McLean

Yes I can

Luke Searra

can you send me a video?

Petri Widsten
25 minutes ago, Luke Searra said:

Are you shooting your body so far forward to avoid pain? As far as  your movement in the last video I would like to see you have your hands pass just in front of your toes - another very good way to do this is with a kettle bell between two boxes.

To me that looks like a dangerous way of doing JCs. I always try to keep the bar as close to my legs as possible. If you're unable to do that with your current weight maybe you should reduce it

Luke Searra

You mean with the kettle bells Petri or the last video technique is dangerous

 

Iain McLean

here is a video from just now with no weights:

 

 

 

Petri Widsten

Sorry, I meant the original form where the weight goes far from the body. 

Luke Searra

Great Lain! What I would like you to do is concentrate on the movement first, weight second. Stand on a box or bench and get as low as possible (below your feet), to do the full curl. You can add weight - it doesn't have to be in such big 5lb jumps, you can start with 25g or 50g if you like and work up from there - if form breaks or there is pain reduce the weight to the pain free weight. I would like to see 5x5 at each weight with no pain and wonderful form just like your last video.

Iain McLean

Thank you kindly for your knowledge and time Luke.  I will take your advice and start slower with the weight.

Luke Searra

Always a pleasure Lain. Keep it up and please continue to update me on your progress.

Ryan Bailey

Good effort Lain. Ironically, minimal weight, only gravity, presents a sheer force through the thoraco-Lumbar junction as you described. (Oddly, in some movements, increased weighted mobility actually facilitates improved form). I notice as I increased the weight, 25% BW initially, I decrease the shear force in this region, as compression and Petri's decreased hand to thigh position is exemplified. Once trialed for a few sessions or weeks, with increased control and speed, 50% BW JC further improves compression forces, decreases shear forces and pain, during your 90 degree emphasis you display in the videos.

Iain McLean

I understand where you are coming from Ryan.  Not sure if you are suggesting for me to jump up in weight.  If I do already have pre existing problems in my back, is it not safer to follow Luke's advice starting off with no weight at all and building up slowly?  I sure feel more comfortable not making any big jumps in weight.