Hello,
I've been training GB style for almost a year now. Over that time I've focused on the back lever position as one of my main exercises. I've progressed through the back lever tuck, back lever tuck flat back, and now I am starting back lever straddle. I am so pleased at the strength gains that I have made over this time. I can hold the straddle position for 6 seconds. Using the steady state routine, I'll do 10 sets of 6 seconds each for about 8 weeks. Hopefully by then I can hold it longer as doing 10 sets is a pain in the neck.
This latest position is very hard for me. I don't have an ideal gymnastic build (5' 11'' with long legs) so I can't imagine holding this position for a full minute before I progress to the next variation. Am I just a wimp or should somewhat advanced positions like this be held for less than the standard 1 minute time frame under steady state before progressing to the next variation?
One other question. I noted in the book that these static holds should be placed at the end of your workout. This particular exercise is so difficult, I decided to move it to be my first exercise - any issues with doing this? I'd rather suffer on my other exercises (such as dips) if I can make better progress on the back lever.
thanks,
Jerry