This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New to the foundation course

Started by Marcus Patterson, May 15, 2016 · 11 Replies · 331 Views

Marcus Patterson

Hi all, brand new to this program and it is pretty confusing at first glance!

To test mastery before I begin, do I just click on the mastery testing button , is that what takes me to week 11?

I was trying to move the weeks along in the scheduler but it only seemed to allow me to move forward one week. 

Another question. I want to go to my gym to train this, but how can I do this and still be able to remember all elements of strength and mobility for each exercise plus keeping form correct , without being able to watch the videos at home on the pc? I can print the schedule sheet but obviously this just shows only the names of each progression , not what each progression is.

Once completed the mastery test, how do I go to week 3/5/9 etc to check what each progression is at that phase?

 

sorry lots of newbie questions. If this has been covered just point me in the right direction with a link if you would be so kind. :)

Marcus Patterson

Also following on from this, am I supposed to get mastery of every single progression before moving onto the next? So for example with FL, mastery would always be 5x60´s of every single step and 5 reps of mobility of e.g. pe3 before you can moving onto the next progression in this case PE4?

 

In that case would it take 3 months to complete every single phase? So 4 phases per year? That sounds excessively slow , unless I am completely misunderstanding?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

A lot of your answers are currently found within the course material and or found in one of more the "Pinned" threads found at top of this particular subforum.

Read the following posts: #1 #2

The length of time it takes for you to finish a particular phase may be longer or shorter than someone else and depends entirely on your joint's mobility and or the amount of strength you need to develop. A year or more one one preparatory element is not unusual. You have access to the course material for as long as you might live. 

In regards to taking the course material with you to a gym... You can access the material through your phone's mobile data connection.

Marcus Patterson
3 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

A lot of your answers are currently found within the course material and or found in one of more the "Pinned" threads found at top of this particular subforum.

Read the following posts: #1 #2

The length of time it takes for you to finish a particular phase may be longer or shorter than someone else and depends entirely on your joint's mobility and or the amount of strength you need to develop. A year or more one one preparatory element is not unusual. You have access to the course material for as long as you might live. 

In regards to taking the course material with you to a gym... You can access the material through your phone's mobile data connection.

Thanks for the info. since posting last night , I reread about twenty times and I have a better understanding of how the course works. I think the layout and explanation of how things work and how to get around the site could be better explained, or even a walk through for beginners would be very interesting (similar to google ads for example)

 

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if I can achieve mastery on a specific progression on the strength side, but the mobility is lacking....do I carry on practising the strength at mastery level until the mobility catches up?

Kevin Herring

Welcome, I'm in my 15th month and still feel like a beginner.  Do not advance your level without achieving mastery of both.  They are paired so it's not two separate exercises.  It's two parts of a single purpose.  So one part without 100% of the other is not mastered. 

You have to, you need to be 100% with room to spare.  Room to spare is a standard of excellence you must hold yourself too.  Just "making it" has led to failure later on and I've had to start over at the previous level.  Tease out everything each level has to offer you.  You are building strength at the level you are on for a reason.  Less than mastered is weakness.  Eliminate the weakness before moving on. 

You're not climbing stairs trying to get to the next floor.  YOU ARE building a FOUNDATION on which the next level is built.  Have the strongest FOUNDATION you possibly can. 

Video your sets clean up technical deficiencies. The form (technique) IS the function.  And the function is to build strength plus mobility. 

I'm still in PE1 in three of my foundations.  One was lingering because of mobility, one was strength, one was technique.  The more you do them (even the repeats) the more you'll understand.

I'd recommend listening to Coach Sommer's interviews with Tim Ferris (fourhourworkweek.com) and Barbell Shrugged on youtube.com.  Much insight and advice there. 

Marcus Patterson

Thanks for the advice, I already listened to the Tim Ferris podcast which is what swayed me into joining :)

 

I did mastery today on all seven exercises of pe1. 6 of them I passed except for rope climb pe1, wow that was hard.

One problem tho is that with swivel hips I was nowhere near completing properly, however after logging my training it has moved me onto pe2. How can I rectify this?

 

Secondly as I bought the program on the weekend it started last week as week one even though I only started today and am essentially already on week 2 , can this be altered also?

 

thanks!

Giovanni Garcea
4 hours ago, Marcus Patterson said:

Thanks for the advice, I already listened to the Tim Ferris podcast which is what swayed me into joining :)

 

I did mastery today on all seven exercises of pe1. 6 of them I passed except for rope climb pe1, wow that was hard.

One problem tho is that with swivel hips I was nowhere near completing properly, however after logging my training it has moved me onto pe2. How can I rectify this?

 

Secondly as I bought the program on the weekend it started last week as week one even though I only started today and am essentially already on week 2 , can this be altered also?

 

thanks!

The suggestions I read in the forum is that when you have an iM lacking, you can advance steps on the strength element until you are at the last steps (7-9) and then uncheck the box  that says that you completed mobility. In that case the scheduler will not advance you to the next PE until the mobility improves. Once you are there you have a couple of choices, you can continue doing step 9 or you can cycle steps 7 to 9. I believe that both strategies are acceptable by GB coaches.

On your second question, if you go on the weekly schedule view, on the top left there is the number of weeks to deload. You can click on that and set where you are in the cycle (You should select "I did my deload last week" to be set at week 1 for this week).

Marcus Patterson

Thanks so much!

Marcus Patterson
17 hours ago, Giovanni Garcea said:

The suggestions I read in the forum is that when you have an iM lacking, you can advance steps on the strength element until you are at the last steps (7-9) and then uncheck the box  that says that you completed mobility. In that case the scheduler will not advance you to the next PE until the mobility improves. Once you are there you have a couple of choices, you can continue doing step 9 or you can cycle steps 7 to 9. I believe that both strategies are acceptable by GB coaches.

On your second question, if you go on the weekly schedule view, on the top left there is the number of weeks to deload. You can click on that and set where you are in the cycle (You should select "I did my deload last week" to be set at week 1 for this week).

It won´t let me click on the weeks to deload, what do I do?

Giovanni Garcea
4 hours ago, Marcus Patterson said:

It won´t let me click on the weeks to deload, what do I do?

Click on account>help and explain your problem. Usually Cory will answer rather quickly.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 16/05/2016 at 1:16 AM, Marcus Patterson said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if I can achieve mastery on a specific progression on the strength side, but the mobility is lacking....do I carry on practicing the strength at mastery level until the mobility catches up?

Yes, continue working on the strength portion until the mobility portion is "Up to par." Do not be in rush to complete the entire course. Look at the Earth we all live upon and realize how young you still are. Your body will show more muscle definition and gains more muscular strength as your tendons develop. If you, do not already know:  Tendons connect muscle to bone. Ligaments connect soft tissue to soft tissue.

The forum's search function is near the upper right hand corner of your screen, just below the words "Gallery" and "Help"

Marcus Patterson

Hi and thanks.

 

Yep I know what tendons and ligaments are but thank you anyway. I separated my achromiclavicular joint snapping both ligaments and also have chronic tendonitis, hence the knowledge lol.