Training in a cold environment?

Started by Darren Rousar, May 12, 2016 · 3 Replies · 1,620 Views

Darren Rousar

I'd like to hang a set of rings and a rope in the garage (assuming I make it that far in these courses :) ). The ceiling is 11' high and the garage is insulated.

That said, it can still get down to 25 degrees F in the winter (I'm in Minnesota). Will the low temp be a problem for me?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Space heater? Sweatpants? I think the temperature will only be a problem if you think it's a problem. So long as the area is enclosed, the temperature shouldn't be that big of an issue. Were it outside then I would say that the wind chill and cold air could make it harder on the lungs. Cold temps would likely just necessitate a longer warm up... I wouldn't likely do my skill/handstand workout in the environment but for Foundation I don't see why not.

Ryan Bailey

Hey Darren. I'm not too far from you in Wisconsin and I have the rings in my barn . Daniel is right about an enclosed area helping block the elements. In winter, when it is 10 degrees below 0, however, I like training inside better of course. My brother-in-law describes my training set up as "Rocky style" and I find these winter workouts invigorating at times. 

Darren Rousar

Thanks to both of you.
Yes, it's enclosed, fortunately.