This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 091110

Started by Coach Sommer, November 10, 2009 · 8 Replies · 1,136 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20091110.jpg

Complete four rounds:

6 - 20m wind sprints

5 Clapping Pull-ups

10 FL Pulls

notes:

1) The wind sprints should be performed with an all out effort.

2) Perform the Clapping Pull-ups immediately after the wind sprints.

3) Move immediately from the Clapping Pull-ups to FL Pulls.

4) If regular FL Pulls are too easy, please add weight to the ankles. For very strong athletes, the added weight for reps should vary from 25-45lbs hanging on the ankles.

5) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

John Sapinoso

Coach Sommer,

(and anyone else that would like to chime in)

For front lever pulls, at what point does decreasing speed of the movement become less beneficial than adding weight to the ankles; what is your preferred tempo for training strength? I perform these slow and controlled at around 3-4 seconds per rep. I feel that adding weight to a rep that is faster than 1-2 seconds per rep would be utilizing too much momentum and negate the added difficulty.

Thanks,

Johnny.

fireman

I train at home. Could I sustitute the wind sprints by jump rope (fast).

SamSpaiser
fireman said:
I train at home. Could I substitute the wind sprints by jump rope (fast).

I train at home primarily as well. Unless it's raining, can't we just go outside and dash a 20m straight away back and forth 3x? I was thinking of just going to the parking lot across the street, then I'd just go back inside, hit my pull up bar, and do it all over again. The only thing is, I max out at 5 regular pull-ups generally. Then, to even try to do 1 FL pull would be a dream. Should I do the 5 regular pull ups, and then get a chair or box to elevate myself to get my chin over the bar, and do negative FL pulls but without any pulling at all (and also in a tuck). I'm pretty undermuscled and have just recently made strides in strength with the FL flat tuck. I generally can only get 1, maybe 2 FL pulls (tight tuck) at a time, and I'm not sure this would provide any significant gains. I'm not able to get my hands on a bar that would allow me to do naners or the easier version (I forgot the name), otherwise I would make that substitution.

Coach Sommer
ts00nami said:
I feel that adding weight to a rep that is faster than 1-2 seconds per rep would be utilizing too much momentum and negate the added difficulty.

I believe that with a little experimentation you will quickly find the correct balance point between tempo and the amount of extra weight used. If you are capable of performing full ROM FL Pulls quickly with 45lbs on your ankles, you are a superman!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
SamSpaiser said:
The only thing is, I max out at 5 regular pull-ups generally.

Given your current strength levels, the correct approach to scaling this GB WOD would be to abandon the clapping pull-ups and FL Pulls and scale down until you find exercises that will allow you to perform the movements with the correct repetition range. One example of such a substitution would be 5 jumping pull-ups plus 10 TOPs Pulls.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

David Picó García
I train at home. Could I sustitute the wind sprints by jump rope (fast

i've done so, and worked quite well, and after the 5 clapping pull ups my heart was also clapping for rest. The FL pulls were really hard with this high heart rate. So i decided not to add more weight than my socks. :P

SamSpaiser

I still found the top pulls extremely challenging to execute, and I really could only do 1 with proper form after the sprints and jumping pull ups, but managed to struggle through usually 3. It's just the pulling up aspect that gets me, seeming just as challenging as regular pull ups. Why should I be able to do 10 TOP pulls when I can't do 10 pull ups? I was trying them in a tuck form, as the bar I had was low. Is there something specific I need to train to aid me in this major pulling weakness? My static body weight exercise progressions have improved tremendously over the past few months, but I struggle with pulls and pushes.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

I like how you say,

If FL pulls are too easy, please add weights to ankles.

Hehe. Going to try this one Sunday!