Saying Hi and is it too late ?

Started by Dave Morris, May 11, 2016 · 6 Replies · 2,121 Views

Dave Morris

Hi, I've never done gymnastics before and my real weakness is flexibility.  I tend to go in for more endurance stuff and long treks and hikes but many of the issues I get come from tight hamstrings, glutes etc so I see this as a great way to improve strength and flexibility.  I'm 49, 5'11 and 190lbs in average condition with good cardio stamina.  

I'm starting with the 4 week foundation (even the crab is tough) but I will persevere.  A question particularly for those who maybe weren't natural gymnasts before would be what is reasonable to expect (I know; how long is a piece of string) but given time, commitment and perseverance can anyone master the splits or the ability to sit in straddle with their chest on the floor for example?  Final one for now is during each day as a new exercise is released how long should I practice it for to get the benefit without risking injury or so much fatigue that the next day is too hard?

Many thanks for any replies, Dave

 

Douglas Wadle

Welcome Dave!  As you may have noticed there are many of us over 40 on the forums, and some (studly athletes I might add) over 50 or 60.  It is never too late.  Obviously your progress will be slower and your peak perhaps not as high as when you were younger, but you will enjoy improved strength, functionality, and mobility, and you will likely feel younger and live longer.  There is much scientific data regarding the impacts of poor mobility and movement quality on risk of early death and risk of degenerative joint diseases. So I recommend starting the journey, enjoying the journey, and seeing what becomes.  You will likely surprise yourself, though you may not get a full Manna :) , you will be vastly better off for having tried.  I am 43, was not a gymnast (doubt I'll ever do a flip), but have been here for over 2 years and feel it's been a superb addition to my quality of life and training for other sports I enjoy.  It allows me to not get injured when all my friends are ending up with weekend warrior problems like achilles strains, torn hamstrings, rotator cuff tendonitis, etc playing soccer and skiing and running.  Enjoy the process.  Us old guys have the benefit of a mature training mindset and the knowledge that what we do for the next 3 years will add up to a lot.  I love Coach Sommers' analogy on his recent podcast of comparing it to pages in a book.  1 page is thin and seems irrelevant, but many pages together make a book, perhaps a very long book, it all depends on your consistency.  

Dave Morris

Thanks Douglas, I'm a member of forums for property investing (which is what I do) and I know the value of support and also the impacts of those tiny improvements each day and your post is encouraging.  

Eva Pelegrin

Hello Dave, 

4 hours ago, Dave Morris said:

given time, commitment and perseverance can anyone master the splits or the ability to sit in straddle with their chest on the floor for example?  

Yes, it's possible, if you're ok with "time" meaning "meaning months or years," since you already know mobility is your Achilles. I find knowing empowering, so one is not defeated by unfounded or unrealistic expectations...
I can't answer your second question. I think you're referring to the Fundamentals program, which was just released. Most of us a doing Foundations.

Dave Morris

Thanks Eva, having a four year old daughter who is already interested in exercise and gymnastics makes this even more fun trying to keep up with her.....

Eva Pelegrin

Awesome Dave, the little "grasshoppers" have a lot to teach us. She's going to love doing those animal patterns with dad! Kids, dogs, cats, no intelligent creature can resist them.

Jon Douglas
5 hours ago, Dave Morris said:

Thanks Eva, having a four year old daughter who is already interested in exercise and gymnastics makes this even more fun trying to keep up with her.....

Well, i can see we aren't going to have any motivation problems here.... :)

I think you will do well. Weighted mobility work works like voodoo on situations like yours and while it may take time to achieve the full positions i have found steady improvement more than adequately encouraging enough to continue.