Hi. My name is Lori. I live in the Seattle area. I've been doing Crossfit for about 2 1/2 years. I was 42 when I started and had been at my desk for 20 years and I was pretty deconditioned. I skied every year and hiked, but that first winter I had gone to Revelstoke, Canada, and I could no longer keep up with my 6 year old. I had been limited from exercise for a couple years due to a health condition, so I got that cleared by agreeing to work with a trainer. In Crossfit I got strong really fast. It changed my life. I liked the gymnastics movements, so I started training with a coach and a group of adults a couple days a week at a gymnastics gym. My coach warned me that my overall strength was increasing at a rate greater than what my ligaments and bones would handle and he told me to take it easy. He went on to take a job at a gym in another part of the state, but I often think about his advice, and how it probably did apply to me more than I was willing to admit. I was enjoying Olympic lifting and I found a coach. I competed locally and really enjoyed it. My coach competes internationally every year and my intention was to begin to travel with him and his wife, until last summer when I was in a car accident and I hurt my back. I rehabbed, did PT, did a 12 week cycle and felt pretty good, and then was messing around with some deadlifts one day and reinjured. They ran tests, I have a torn disc at L5/S1. I've gotten a variety of opinions. My chiropractor and physiatrist both say to take up another sport. My PT sees more harm in being inactive than in continuing to lift and says that my MRI doesn't look much different than what you would find if you could see the MRI of many 45 year olds. What I have found is that some movements increase my pain and some decrease it. I've been listening to my pain. Pull ups, handstand holds, hollow rocks, a little cardio all seem to make me feel better. If I load up a bar and do heavy squats or cleans I can really feel it for the next few days in the form of peripheral nerve pain in my leg and a band of pain across my low back. I'm a bit crooked, my right hip seems to stick, I can do a pistol (with some support) on the left side fluidly, but on the right side it isn't fluid. I don't know where I heard about GB, but it keeps popping up and I'm intrigued. I love to lift, I love following a program, but I am in this for longevity first. I'm trying to find something to replace lifting. The hardest part has been not training with my coach, he and his wife are wonderful training partners and we've had a lot of fun the past couple of years. Lately I've been training at a Crossfit gym again and just scaling things quite a bit.
Would following this programming help with the imbalances? My hesitation comes from the lack of a coach. I would love to have a GB affiliate in our area. I enjoy that coaching relationship, and it makes me feel secure knowing that someone is watching my progress/safety. Could I do it in addition to a couple Crossfit workouts a week (for the community/coaching aspect of them)?