This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE1 Form check

Started by Johan Tideland, May 1, 2016 · 8 Replies · 148 Views

Johan Tideland

Hi, this is the first time I am doing the hinge row for about 2,5 months. I stopped doing them about 2,5 months ago since my physio told me that I should not do any exercises that involve bending forward. I am in the process of recovering from a herniated disc. If you want to know more about it you can read here https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/24136-recovering-from-a-herniated-disc-a-few-question-long-text/

Anyway, I am feeling a bit better and I wanted to try out the hinge row again and below are 2 videos of my attempts. I felt very stiff in my lower back during the attempts but no direct pain, however I felt that if I would hinge any more forward it would hurt. I do not know if I hinge enough at my hips, unfortunately I have a horrible pike now due to my injury preventing me from stretching. I can barely reach my knees.

Here are the videos, I am happy for all the help I can get.

https://youtu.be/ff8JgQYWbl8

vid 2

https://youtu.be/ykV5d8k_nvE

Thank you

Johan

 

 

Johan Tideland

Bump

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Johan, 

You're very close. Try sitting further back, a little behind your rings, as opposed to directly under them (means move your feet back a bit). It will be easier to hinge from there and probably better for your lower back too. Notice how at the top position you end up with your elbows slightly lower than your shoulder. Aim for 90/90 angles above and below your humerus. See how Zach Armijo's artwork sums it up. 

 

temp.PNG.18e44cf55b62b31b78258d15d7381c80.PNG

Petri Widsten

The angles look fine though a front view would help to confirm. I would also eliminate the up-down movement of your legs so that they essentially stay still while you're hinging.

Eva Pelegrin

Much better Johan! Good job in correcting both issues (feet placement and 90/90) at once. Now like Petri said, just eliminate the hip bobbing. I started doing that too:) Btw, does your back feel better after you moved your feet back?

The good thing is that it looks like you have the rings at the right height by looking at your top position (almost L shape). However, when you lean back, you're elevating your hips during the transition. Try keeping your hips in the same spot as when you're in the top position. Right now when you're facing the ceiling you have a long arch from heels to shoulders. You can see from my crude drawing below that if your hips were a tad lower at the green line, they would not need to move when you hinge. That's it. You're very close.

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 3.19.23 PM.png

Johan Tideland

Thank you Petri and Eva, I will try to eliminate the up and down movement of my hips.

My back feels stiff when I am at the top position, but no real pain, it just feels like the lumbar spine is very stiff.

here is a new vid of my latest attempt.

https://youtu.be/LQRLAQmTNTY

Johan

Eva Pelegrin

Looks much better Johan, considering your back pain and stiffens on the top position... I know how that feels.;) One thing you might consider so that the top position doesn't feel as stiff is to pre-stretch your hamstrings before doing your Hinge Rows. I think that will allow you to hinge more at the hips and be more comfortable. It's looking really good. Also look out for keeping your shoulder blades pack down. Now that you have the correct 90/90 angle, I'm sure you've noticed how it's increasingly more difficult to maintain the shoulders down. All and all, good work!

Petri Widsten

Getting better, Johan. You still have some up-and-down stuff going - I think it's the only thing left to fix. Watch the course video and you'll notice how the athlete's legs remain at the same level during the exercise.