This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bringing it Together (Jon's Foundation 2.0)

Started by Jon Douglas, April 17, 2016 · 103 Replies · 8,453 Views

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

As I have said elsewhere, I decided to give my Foundation training a full reboot five weeks ago. A couple people have asked me about my thought process, so here it is in one.

There are a couple reasons; the primary one is that I have rehabbed and fixed a number of imbalances and issues. I can only imagine from how much better they feel just how much a decade of martial arts overlapping with several years of kettlebell training screwed up my shoulders in particular. Never felt like anything was stiff, sore etc... but can't believe how much better I feel now. Crazy to think this is how it is supposed to be :)

 

Other than that, reasons in no particular order;

- Coach fixed a few things at Australian seminars last year, primarily lower traps deficit/ inactivity and some technique misunderstandings-- particularly in areas in which I was both strong and tight (lats, upper traps, hamstrings....). I spent a few months fixing my weaknesses/deficits following that, then decided the time was right to bring it all together. These November seminars are what began this process of taking a hard look at what I wasn't doing ie enough mobility, despite being very happy with my results to date.

- Coach also mentioned Leo (Trinidad)'s strategy of restarting a progression every time he hit a failure. This has a massive appeal to me as an incredibly simple / effective approach that automatically incorporates waving loads etc. Similarly I'd hit some plateaus and wanted a shake-up to find where my gaps were

- Similarly, I particularly liked Alessandro (Mainente)'s approach of requiring a single 200% warmup set to establish an element as mastered.

- I more or less doubled mobility throughout. Big emphasis on heavy J-curls gave me a nasty little turn one day; I thought I had done something nasty to my back when I woke up and struggled to move properly. It took about three days for the spot in my spine to settle down. Figured I'd gone too heavy and strained something

Here is the cool part.

Before this incident, I could not do sit-ups with my feet on the floor, not hooked under something. No big deal, naturally. After three days, the 'pain' (not quite the right word, more system shock) disappeared and.... wonder of wonders, I could suddenly do sit-ups with my feet on the floor. It was as if my spine had developed an extra joint; I now regard it as two vertebra beginning to fuse and stiffen up, and then being separated, and the system shock as fallout. Scared myself briefly but once it was gone not a single re-occurence.

 

That informed my approach.

- 3x F7 for one cycle, to speed testing up to appropriate training levels. Having established almost all of these now and still training 3x a week MWF mornings with work, I am now training a 3-day split MWF with stretch series afterwards, HS Tues/Thurs and Movement Sat

- 110% strict on form, tempo, etc. Was pretty happy with how this had gone previously, but having coached and worked with a lot of people since beginning this, I know far better how to dial in on the details. Part of this is racing the clock and getting amongst my workout as if I'm being chased :D

- Doubled down on mobility. I perform a whole-body ROM limber in every session, 5-10r of all HBP ims, etc. I also run J-curls for 10 reps before each session, easy at 40-60kg, just feels like a stretch. Takes about 10 minutes if you are motivated.

- Warming up with 50r scap shrugs sPL progressions each session; this alone has done pretty cool things . As mentioned I also require a 1x 200% mastery set before I consider an element put away. Exercises I find difficult stay in my warmup for that progression, and working higher reps in warmup is great.

- Getting more done at work and taking less home, allowing me more sleep. Not going to lie, this has certainly accelerated the process.

- Completely eliminated shoulder impingement symptoms with hinge rows.

 

The basic lessons so far

I have not lost any strength. I have been doing, for example, rope climbs for laps 2-3x a week for a year or more, and here I am improving my pullup numbers and widening my back on hinge rows :) this makes it very easy to exercise patience until I can be 110% certain I have performed my sets perfectly.

Doing it right gives you the function; the form follows. I have lost about a kilo on the scale; leaned out significantly. I will put up my before/after pictures once I'm through Thrive. I'm no Leo or Daniel Burnham, but I am still a bit surprised myself.

Mobility, mobility, mobility. You cannot get strong in ROMs you don't have. Patience, grit, consistency, whatever it takes to gain that mobility. Once it is in place, it happens remarkably fast; I had about two months of steadily re-educating my left shoulder in extension in very limited range; frustrating, humbling etc. Who cares. It worked and now I am back doing HS/PE2im x10r with 15kg. But it will not happen at all if you don't start fixing it from the bottom.

Taking the time to perfect the basics is the fastest way to exceptional strength and mobility.

Most of all is my mindset change. I never thought I would say it, but I am genuinely happy to find a basic exercise difficult in some detail. I test myself occasionally and am steadily increasing my strength levels, including on exercises I had 'plateaud' on previously. Lack of ROM in a movement simply meant one more area in which I couldn't develop strength; fix the root of the problem and the whole responds.

 

Oh, and I took 10s off my 2.4km run since December last year, although there are way too many confounding factors on that one.

Progressions are now scattered through F1-4; I'm actually still testing through a couple. Champing at the bit to get to my next training day.

 

Edit;

Apologies this reads kinda clunky; I stream-of-consciousness'd :)

Maksis Riley

Really cool read Jon, thank you for sharing! 

 

Max

Mats Trane

Nice read Jon! 

Interesting story with the hinge rows taking away shoulder impingement. I've been having good results with doing Lat flys with my feet supported going back and forth. Doing like 25 reps. This has helped my shoulder impingement ALOT!

Ryan Bailey
4 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Taking the time to perfect the basics is the fastest way to exceptional strength and mobility

Great insight, Jon!

Douglas Wadle
6 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Leo (Trinidad)'s strategy of restarting a progression every time he hit a failure.

6 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Alessandro (Mainente)'s approach of requiring a single 200% warmup set to establish an element as mastered.

Fun and interesting read Jon.  Thanks for taking the time to outline your thoughts.  The above 2 quotes particularly struck a chord with me. I have been stuck on L-sit bulgarian pullups for a while.  I can do 5x5 but it's a real grunter, certainly doesn't have the feel of mastery.  So I have gone back to plain pull ups to build volume, then I think progressing more slowly and making sure I can do 200% of a single set prior to moving on will make the difference here.  I also just started doing a full F7, as I have been doing a split for a long time.  Really cut down my numbers in a bunch of elements. For instance, at the end of an F7 workout I can only do 5x1 HBP/PE19, whereas when I did split workout I could do 5x3.  So clearly I need to dial back a notch and build work capacity for a while.  I like the idea of going back to the beginning and repeating everything as an F7 workout to do this.  I might give that a try just to milk as much out of each exercise as possible.  However, the early mobility stuff is fairly minimal at this point in time, but I guess with the stretch series I can keep progressing there as I move through this routine.  Thanks!

Wayne Grima

Wow, you're a busy little vegemite. How long does a session take you mate, I feel somewhat slack

after reading your program, well done and thanks for the insight.

Jon Douglas
1 hour ago, Wayne Grima said:

Wow, you're a busy little vegemite. How long does a session take you mate, I feel somewhat slack

after reading your program, well done and thanks for the insight.

Not long- i budget an hour a day not including stretch sessions but i don't take rest once i get started so i get a lot done in a pretty short time. It's much moretime consuming to build than it is to maintain so I look at time in now as time banked later.

Costas Karakatsanis

Hi Jon,

Do you do a full F7 in an hour?

 

Jon Douglas
11 minutes ago, Costas Karakatsanis said:

Hi Jon,

Do you do a full F7 in an hour?

 

Nope, a 3 day split/6days training. I have a further few hours of physical training MWF mornings, so those are 2 a days that also provide a handy objective testing ground for my improvements.

I am usually done in around 40 minutes, then spend a little more time on weighted pancakes and such. 

Luzian Scherrer
17 hours ago, Douglas Wadle said:

I like the idea of going back to the beginning and repeating everything as an F7 workout...

Yeah, really interesting idea! I have to think about that too... (currently doing 3-day split).

Sergio Mgencasa
On 17/4/2016 at 10:23 AM, Jon Douglas said:

I have not lost any strength. I have been doing, for example, rope climbs for laps 2-3x a week for a year or more, and here I am improving my pullup numbers and widening my back on hinge rows

Golden information Jon!

I have a question. You said you did'nt lost strength. Were you doing rope climbs during your foundation training (I mean that year/s) and you didn't lost stregth or Did you usually do rope climbs, stop doing that during your foundation training and one day you test that exercise and realize you didn't lost it.

Sorry for my English, I'm not sure if I've explained correctly...

Jon Douglas
17 minutes ago, Sergio Mgencasa said:

Golden information Jon!

I have a question. You said you did'nt lost strength. Were you doing rope climbs during your foundation training (I mean that year/s) and you didn't lost stregth or Did you usually do rope climbs, stop doing that during your foundation training and one day you test that exercise and realize you didn't lost it.

Sorry for my English, I'm not sure if I've explained correctly...

The second one :) Admittedly it's only been a month or so since I wound back, so its not like I've had time to atrophy or anything, but I've found it much easier to dial in on the smaller details when I've already built a reasonable foundation-level strength on most of my body. The limiting factors are much more easily identified and I can focus on the and know when I have deviated from tight form.

Sergio Mgencasa
6 minutes ago, Jon Douglas said:

The second one :) Admittedly it's only been a month or so since I wound back, so its not like I've had time to atrophy or anything, but I've found it much easier to dial in on the smaller details when I've already built a reasonable foundation-level strength on most of my body. The limiting factors are much more easily identified and I can focus on the and know when I have deviated from tight form.

Thanks!

Costas Karakatsanis
14 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Nope, a 3 day split/6days training. I have a further few hours of physical training MWF mornings, so those are 2 a days that also provide a handy objective testing ground for my improvements.

I am usually done in around 40 minutes, then spend a little more time on weighted pancakes and such. 

I have a very narrow time limit in the morning. I currently do F7 and can handle the load. The problem is that I cant follow with the strech series after my F7 training due to time constraints. I may end up to do one or no session within a week and eventually after one year to show very little progress.

Do you think that it is better to do the 3 Day split and since it is much shorter to do the strech series regularly, or should focus more on the conditioning and continue with F7?

Thanks

Ronnicky Roy
15 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Not long- i budget an hour a day not including stretch sessions but i don't take rest once i get started so i get a lot done in a pretty short time. It's much moretime consuming to build than it is to maintain so I look at time in now as time banked later.

So did you always train that way? No resting between sets and if you were too tired on a set and failed, move onto the next element? 

Jon Douglas

Mostly. But I did get a bit complacement certainly. Now i actively try to beat the clock and have dropped the volume, and feel like i can put more in right from the get go.

Jon Douglas
4 hours ago, Costas Karakatsanis said:

I have a very narrow time limit in the morning. I currently do F7 and can handle the load. The problem is that I cant follow with the strech series after my F7 training due to time constraints. I may end up to do one or no session within a week and eventually after one year to show very little progress.

Do you think that it is better to do the 3 Day split and since it is much shorter to do the strech series regularly, or should focus more on the conditioning and continue with F7?

Thanks

In your position I'd strongly consider sorting mobility out first. It takes longer to build than to maintain eg) with a set or two of the major positions in a warmup. But it depends; if you already have great flexibility and this is not your limiting factor then go ahead with the conditioning side. 

If on the other hand mobility is the weak side, then you already knowthe answer to this :)

 

Kevin Herring

Thanks for the post.  I'm going to read it a couple more times through out the day.  Really rang home on the mobility and options on the 3 day split and handstand training.

Costas Karakatsanis: I have similar issues with time in the mornings.  If you have the online classes there are shorter stretching classes and a upper body lower body focus.

Finishing my Foundation workout with a 15 minute stretch works better than no stretch at all.  And I may change to Handstand training Tuesday and Thursday followed by Middle and/or Front since the handstand workouts don't take as long I'll have more time to do the stretch.

Cameron Williams

Excellent post Jon! The info is much appreciated :)

Edgar Hernandez Celli
On 17 de abril de 2016 at 3:23 AM, Jon Douglas said:

I also require a 1x 200% mastery set before I consider an element put away

Hi there, it's just to check if I understood well this concept: the 1X200% mastery set. For example the SLS/PE1 Deck squats which mastery is 5x15 reps, then the 1x200% mastery would be a set of 30 reps? Thanks in advance for explaining.

Mark Schoenhard

 

1 hour ago, Edgar Hernandez Celli said:

Hi there, it's just to check if I understood well this concept: the 1X200% mastery set. For example the SLS/PE1 Deck squats which mastery is 5x15 reps, then the 1x200% mastery would be a set of 30 reps? Thanks in advance for explaining.

That's the way I understand it as well.  Although I wish I had it wrong while attempting a two minute bent arm chin hold. Humbled.

Jon Douglas

That's how I've been doing it. 120 hollow body rocks as warmup makes sure you are efficient :)

This isn't strictly course necessary, i just like it as a rule of thumb and to be totally comfortable with putting an element away :)

Jon Douglas

As i mentioned longer sets of some elements are particularly sweet; 50 scap shrugs in pl warmup is doin me good and I intend to put 50 hinge rows alongside it. Zach has written some on this re hll and body lever work too

Bradley OConnell

@Jon  So you aren't doing that as your mastery test, you are adding 1x200% of the previous exercise as the warm up?  For example:  FL/PE1 mastery is 60s, so you are warming up for FL/PE2 with 120s of PE1?  Am I understanding this correctly?

Jon Douglas

Ah, i see where the confusion has come in.

 

*No, there is no escape from doing 5x60r for mastery. No other configuration counts :) *

In ADDITION to that, I am requiring from myself a single set to the value of 2x whatever a single mastery set value is, of the previously mastered element in that sequence.

So for eg. If i am brushing up my bent hollow rocks, I require myself to do a 2min static hold before working rocks. I implemented this while testing up first of all, so as to be totally sure i could put it away, but now i just like it as a habit/consolidation of previous work :) volume on basics never hurts. You can also get in a lot of volume whilst working lower rep elements; for eg requiring 10r warmup sets whilst working up over weeks or months on  5r element.

Still 1-2 extra elements in warmup done for varying reps in addition but always requiring the previously mastered element for 2x a single mastery set