Looking for a check on the mobility part of the spl/pe2. When I extend my legs are my feet up too high above my hips, or is this ok? thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2OXBP5Sv3k
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Emily Record, April 11, 2016 · 7 Replies · 182 Views
Looking for a check on the mobility part of the spl/pe2. When I extend my legs are my feet up too high above my hips, or is this ok? thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2OXBP5Sv3k
As far as I can tell, the height of your feet is fine.
Rewatch the course videos and look for more details.
Hi Emily,
It's hard to see from this angle if you have a PPT and your hip/thighs angle relative to your torso. I would try setting your camera view more from the side. It will also make it easier to asses the trajectory of your feet.
Thanks Rayne-William and Eva! Eva, I actually filmed it from the side too, here it is. Also, what is PPT?
PPT is everywhere you look in the forum (posterior pelvic tilt). Just means keeping your hips flat in the front. No hinging.
It looks like your left leg is not going as high, but perhaps is the camera perspective. In any case, make sure you lift both each leg (foot) up to hip height. Pause at the end of the rep to make sure you nail that position. I believe that the non-working leg should not dribble down... Reach far away with your toes and legs making a straight line. Imagine your legs were lasers rays.
Are you enjoying any cramping on the side of your hips? Good.
Not exactly, Eva. Depending upon the individual, it is possible to have flat hips and still not be in PPT (posterior pelvic tilt).
The hips being flat refers to the hips being 'open'. The hips being piked refers to the hips being 'closed'.
PPT refers refers to the hips being tilted and tucked under so that the lower back is flat with no curvature.
PPT, how to train it and how to strengthen it, are covered extensively in Handstand One.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Yes Coach, that was an over simplification. I agree with you. I should've used the word "open," I was trying to use the word you use for the layman and it happens to be "open" not flat.
Specificity of terms is important in order to convey the correct positional detail.
In regards to the front of the hips, the terms 'open' and 'flat' are both interchangeable.
Neither however specifically infer PPT which will primarily be evaluated by whether or not the lower back is flat.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer