This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Adjusting reps for HBP/PE5 on rings instead of bars?

Started by Nazim Kilic, March 28, 2016 · 3 Replies · 112 Views

Nazim Kilic

Hello,

I do not have bars or any similar construction at home. I thought of doing both PE5 and PE6 on rings instead, which I understand will be more difficult. Shall I adjust the reps or the time (on the negatives) for it, or shall I just do the progressions as if it was on the bars?

John Cunningham

See this

Samin Ishtiaq

I've been using my dining room chairs --- sssh, don't tell anyone at home!

They shift under my weight, so I weigh them down with 15kg plate each.

Nazim Kilic
13 hours ago, John Cunningham said:

See this

Thank you for the reply, the question has been answered. I will try to find something else.

Just out of curiosity, I have a question of understanding about the difference between bars and rings:

If I understand it correctly, on the rings, the scapula would be involved whereas on the bars it wouldn't. Is this muscle involvement because while on the rings, I have to keep them close enough together so they don't pull apart? Or is the scapula just in general responsible for holding the rings in place? What other muscles need to be "stable" and/or "active" on rings that are not active when an exercise is done on the ground or bars? (e.g. handstands)

I mean: of course I instantly feel and see the increased difficulty of doing the same thing on rings, but I never understood the mechanics behind what is responsible for that.