This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deep squat mechanics... I just don't get it!

Started by Lisa-Jayne El-Sour, March 27, 2016 · 33 Replies · 964 Views

Dorian Brown

Best thing for my squat was just sitting in squat with my back against the wall for 5-10 min a day + doing front split.

Maksis Riley

I found that video pretty pointless for discussing anything other than a feet and knees together squat. We aren't a 2 dimensional structure so it doesn't really help to look at this single plane. At least that's how it feels to me. 

 

Of course for feet and knees together, it's pretty much always going to be a case of ankle mobility (or in my case knee flexion). But as soon as the feet step outside the hips there's more too it. At least that's how I view it. And I do believe Alessandro is right with ankles being an issue, I just think they can play less role in achieving that rock bottom squat at shoulder with stance. However, trust Alessandro's opinion over mine :). Plus ankles will always help sitting comfortably at the bottom.

 

Max

Eduardo Paul

I don't agree it's pointless. It's true the guy is showing a 2D model, but you can generalize it to 3D in a straightforward way. When you open your legs, the only difference in terms of proportion is that you have a projection of your bone length on the relevant plane. Think of multiplying by a cosine :). It's important to note that he's talking only about the proportion, but there are still other hugely important variables, mobility being one of them.

Lisa-Jayne El-Sour

I found that video interesting. It gave me more of an understanding of why some people appear to find the squat so easy.

Max, when you say knee flexion, what do you mean?

I have tried holding the squat with my heels raised. I'm finding that my shins ache after a while, just above the ankle. Is this a sign of a weakness that may be worsening my squat?

The SLS progressions probably will help improve my squat, but at the moment I can't even do PE1 :(

Coach Sommer

- Knee flexion merely means bending the knees.

- The fatigue you feel in your shins is merely due to weak anterior tibialis (the muscle that runs up the front of your shins) and is causing no damage other than to your peace of mind. ;)

- If you are unable to perform deck squats then perform them with your glutes rolling back onto an elevated mat and feet on the floor.  Continue elevating the surface you roll back onto as high as necessary (6 inches, 12 inches or even more) until you are able to perform scaled deck squats.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
19 minutes ago, Lisa-Jayne El-Sour said:

I found that video interesting. It gave me more of an understanding of why some people appear to find the squat so easy.

Max, when you say knee flexion, what do you mean?

I have tried holding the squat with my heels raised. I'm finding that my shins ache after a while, just above the ankle. Is this a sign of a weakness that may be worsening my squat?

The SLS progressions probably will help improve my squat, but at the moment I can't even do PE1 :(

If you can't even do PE1, then you know where you stand. PE1 works knee flexion (bending) as well as ankle flexion and calf flexibility. It does dynamically (or pretty darned quick) so that momentum takes a bit more of the work than pure strength and flexibility.

PE2 and PE3 are all about the hips and the >ims about the knees. PE4 will get your ankle flexibility to where it needs to be for the pistol squat, as well shoring up any imbalance between the hamstring and quad. SE1 will work the glutes and further strengthen the hamstrings and calves, then from there you're progressing towards the pistol squat. Those first five PEs are devastatingly simple but astonishingly difficult.

Follow Coach's advice on regressions and micro progressions for PE1 and similarly so for every other PE. Progress that does not come in leaps and bounds, but that still comes, is still progress.

Lisa-Jayne El-Sour

I have been using mats for a while after reading this suggestion in other threads. I could do deck squats all day long an inch or so off the floor, but went back to being useless when I tried to lower the height. This is why I've been trying to improve ankle flexibility and figure out any other issues holding me back.

I'm very pleased to report I tested my abilities last night and managed to do one perfect deck squat off the edge of my yoga mat. I still can't squat, but I seem to have reached the necessary level of flexibility to make progress with this exercise.

I'm looking forward to working on all the initial progressions for SLS as I'm sure they will gradually squash out any imperfections in my mobility.

My experience with this exercise and reading other threads has really demonstrated to me the importance of working through each PE and >iM thoroughly and not moving on too soon.

Thanks everyone!

Paul Gray

As someone who is also lacking this flexibility and wants to resolve this ASAP I was thinking of the including the following daily mobility exercises:

Skiers2, pike 2 squat, Kneeling achilles pulses.......how does that seem?

Can I do deck squats on a daily basis with reduced numbers?

Alexander Egebak

Seems fine Paul. However, I think you need specific ankle stretches as well to solve your problem faster. Try to google ankle dorsiflexion stretches, I believe plenty will come up