This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

grain derived Omega 3 eggs?

Started by Sean Wood, March 24, 2016 · 7 Replies · 153 Views

Sean Wood

Jeff,

Not sure if there is another place I should be posting this but since I'm on the lesson I was wondering your take on Omega 3 levels in eggs from chickens that are still mass fed a grain or so called "vegetarian" diet organic or not. In the paleo crowds it seems because omega 3s are coming from that grain source mainly so its omega content is considered less significant. Hinted at that it may not be worth spending the extra dough on it as compared to the cheaper versions since not quality omega 3's and grain focused.  I've looked and many omega 3 eggs, organic or not, and none seem to not use this as there main source of feed. Gold standard I'm seeing in same circles is truely free range chickens that can also feed on farm vegetable matter from post harvesting. I'm currently research some local farms that may have this standard I just mentioned. Maybe even get a few of my own. Perhaps this is just the way the industry is and I may be splitting hairs on this. Please school me if you have the time. 

This is where i got the question from under the heading of enriched omega 3s

http://robbwolf.com/2012/08/29/cracking-code-egg-labeling/

Thanks for your time...

Jeff Serven

The gold standard is free range omnivore chickens. Yes chickens like humans are omnivores not vegetarians, just look at the digestive systems. Ideally a chicken would eat worms and the such.

As for grocery store eggs, all are fed grain. All. Do you want a grain fed chicken w/150mg of O3 or none is what it boils down to. 

The concept that the flax they are fed is an inferior source of O3 is a lack of knowledge of whomever said that. The sources of 03 they are fed is ALA in flax. Its somewhat useless to feed a human flax because humans cant up convert ALA to EPA or DHA very well but chickens can. So if you feed a chicken flax its not the same as a human. 

 

Note to vegetarians: This is not an invitation to talk about yourself just because you were mentioned. 

Briac Roquet

They're always going to be fed grains (plus other things if they're truly free-roaming chickens) might as well be good grains which result in Omega-3 in your eggs. :) 

A problem you can have though, depending on where you live and/or shop is having to choose between free-range organic eggs and free-range omega-3 enriched eggs. Some people here have had a bit of trouble finding eggs that are both, so you may wonder which is best. Organic will be given food without pesticides and will be virtually free of antibiotics, while omega-3 enriched doesn't automatically imply organic standards. Hard choice, but the solution would be to just switch it up. Of course, if you find eggs that cover all these standards then you're all set, buy the shit out of them!

Sean Wood
1 hour ago, Jeff Serven said:

The gold standard is free range omnivore chickens. Yes chickens like humans are omnivores not vegetarians, just look at the digestive systems. Ideally a chicken would eat worms and the such.

As for grocery store eggs, all are fed grain. All. Do you want a grain fed chicken w/150mg of O3 or none is what it boils down to. 

The concept that the flax they are fed is an inferior source of O3 is a lack of knowledge of whomever said that. The sources of 03 they are fed is ALA in flax. Its somewhat useless to feed a human flax because humans cant up convert ALA to EPA or DHA very well but chickens can. So if you feed a chicken flax its not the same as a human. 

 

Note to vegetarians: This is not an invitation to talk about yourself just because you were mentioned. 

Thanks guys, here is the statement I was curious about from that link. I should have stated it was the grain additives that were the issue I'm paraphrasing: likely the grain was laced with flax, algae, or fish oil. they do have "more" omega 3s but amounts are insignificant. better to buy plain.

This is from Rob's main nutritionist. Not bringing this up to start a battle of who's right or wrong just exploring the statement, am open to other opinions. Not sure how to reconcile what the label says and what she thinks still amounts to an insignificant levels. Don't make sense to me sort a. Not worth getting into then that's cool. Not trying to start a "my sensei and can beat up your sensei" controversy with this. And for the record, vegans don't have sensei's...just sensitive feelings. I plan to stick to the course.

Briac- Yes your right all chickens get supplemental feed here, but I would imagine to produce the higher omega levels out the back end (no pun intended) there would have to be some kind of additive to it. That kinda concerns me. I do have that problem you spoke of thus far where I am, but I've recently discovered an organic certified farm that sells their eggs. Their chickens get to freely graze on the vegetable plots they have post harvest as well. So these got to be good. So I plan to get my hands on them when I can. Bit of a drive, will cost more, but willing to see the difference.

Jeff-would these be ok? or stay focused on the omega 3 aspect for now, keep it simple, and hold off If I can't verify their omega 3 content? 

Not sure if later in this course it will turn out to be a bad thing but I love eggs, no problem doing them in the morn or anytime for that matter, with any other meat side as well...mmmmmm ba..ba..ba..baaaconnnnn.  

For whatever reason I had to change the font colour or my post wouldn't show. Nothing meant otherwise...

Briac Roquet

Can't say about the point about Omega-3 content being significant or not, but in an another thread, Jeff mentioned not to worry about Omega-3 enriched eggs if it's hard finding them as you're already doing a good job get free-range organic ones (looking for the thread if Jeff doesn't respond in the meantime). 

Edit: found it, didn't actually take that long 

 

 

Sean Wood

Thanks bud, I actually just finished reading that one. Appreciate the efforts, this is a pretty supportive group I gotta say:)

Jeff Serven

Briac hit the nail on the head 

Sean Wood

Cool, done