Here in Germany i've never seen omega-3 enriched eggs, i honestly think they do not sell them here.
Do normal eggs count as well for the breakfast-fat task?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Johannes Thumser, February 22, 2016 · 7 Replies · 256 Views
Here in Germany i've never seen omega-3 enriched eggs, i honestly think they do not sell them here.
Do normal eggs count as well for the breakfast-fat task?
Yup! Johannes I am not exactly sure what they sell in Germany for eggs but lets get to the bottom of it here because I know there is a number of Germans here. I bet Andre or FNP would have an answer. If they don't then can you tell me what type of text they put on the cartons that separate the 'good' from the 'bad'?
6 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:Yup! Johannes I am not exactly sure what they sell in Germany for eggs but lets get to the bottom of it here because I know there is a number of Germans here. I bet Andre or FNP would have an answer. If they don't then can you tell me what type of text they put on the cartons that separate the 'good' from the 'bad'?
You can chose between how the chicken have been living. so there are 4 types:
0 = Eier aus ökologischer Erzeugung which means organic raised chicken (same rules as 1, but additionally there has to be a max of 6 chicken per squaremeter and organic food)
1 = Eier aus Freilandhaltung which means the chicken can run around outside freely, there have to be at least 4qm2 available for every chicken
2 = Eier aus Bodenhaltung -> those chicken have been living inside, but could run around
(3 = Eier aus Käfighaltung -> those chicken have been raised in cells / basically you don't get those anymore because most people don't buy them because it's to cruel to raise animals like that)
I would say the "0" one is the best best but I would still see if there is a local spot where you can buy real, fresh eggs. Don't worry too much about the added DHA in eggs. They are a better egg but you are still doing a great job by getting "0"
I finally found Omega-3 eggs, but they are category 1, so is it better to get the omega3-category 1 eggs or the "normal" organic ones....
or simply switch from time to time?
Im not familiar with Germanys organic designation. I do know some of the foods are held to a higher standard that ours here in the US but Im not sure which ones. With the limited information I know about it I would say you could switch back and forth or just buy whichever is available.
These are EU standards, so I think it's the same as here in France. The difference should be that producers of '0' eggs are not allowed to use antibiotics unless the animals are sick and the variable amount of grains they do give them must be organic too, while producers of '1s' can pump them full of antibiotics if they so desire and have no obligation regarding the food. Now that doesn't automatically mean they do pump them full or give them crap to eat. Generally, conventionally-raised animals are given so much antibiotics because their life conditions are so bad (food, on top of each other, sleeping in their own shit, etc.) they're just destined to get sick at some point, so having chickens free to roam should in a way avoid that, but you do have really stupid producers.
That doesn't really change Jeff's advice, but that adds a little bit of perspective on the differences between the two options. Personally, if you already have a good intake of Omega-3, I'd go with 0, but sometimes it's hard to get your fresh wild-caught salmon/sardine/mackerel/etc., so Omega-3 eggs are nice way to up it a bit.
Briac,
Good information. Thank you.