This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2

Started by Guido Franchetti, March 16, 2016 · 27 Replies · 368 Views

Guido Franchetti

A couple of attempts at HS PE2.

I can hold it for longer but I was focusing on trying to eliminate piking at the hips. Any advice on that? Sometimes I am convinced to be totally straight only to see on the video that there is an angle of 30 degrees... if I am not filming myself it is quite a problem. Also it looks like my hands are too far from my head, and it is not very stable. What else?

Guido Franchetti

One thing that I noticed yesterday is that actively pushing against the floor helps a lot.

Srini Duggirala

You got into a decent form from around the 24 sec mark. Your hands are too far wide and out. Keep them to around shoulder width. Try to point your tows and "lengthen" your legs. That helped me with straightening the angle.

Guido Franchetti

Thank you Srini, I will try that. Does pointing your tows mean the same as pointing the feet? 

Srini Duggirala

Yes. But while you are doing so, make sure you are not arching your lower back. Its tricky but you will get it. You want to maintain a slight PPT while extending your legs and toes. I am by no means an expert but that is what helped me with reducing the angle without falling over.

Guido Franchetti

Indeed while trying to get rid of piking at hips I sometime felt like I was arching my back - well I will keep trying. Thank you.

Srini Duggirala

Also, have you checked out this post?

 

Guido Franchetti

Nope, but I have just done it now. And it is useful!

Alessandro Mainente

You biggest mistake here is extend the knees before extending the hips.

he hips extension up to 180° should reach the full extension in the same moment the knees reach the full extension.

it is not:

  1. extend knees and after the hips or
  2. extend the hips and after the knees

Because the common consequence will be the fall on the back.

Guido Franchetti

Grazie mille Alessandro! I tried extending both at the same time yesterday. Not easy. In fact I noticed that I was counteracting having knees fully extended but not hips by keeping the trunk inclined. It will take some time to have decent form, but I'll get there!

Alessandro Mainente

It takes practice! enjoy the process!

Guido Franchetti

I am, and it is slowly improving I think!

This is from last week, am I getting into position better? Never mind the fall at the end, I had to record this multiple times  and at the end I had lost quite a bit of focus

 

Guido Franchetti

This is the iM. The first video is with shoulder width grip. I suppose the arch in the back is what I should avoid, right? Is it more of a mobility or lack of strength problem?

The second video is with a wide grip, should I am for this standard of execution with the shoulder width grip as well?

 

Guido Franchetti

bump!

Alessandro Mainente

The first video shows a rolled forward shoulders that it is something you should avoid during extension.

The second one is my preferred version.

Srini Duggirala
On 4/4/2016 at 1:34 PM, Guido Franchetti said:

I am, and it is slowly improving I think!

This is from last week, am I getting into position better? Never mind the fall at the end, I had to record this multiple times  and at the end I had lost quite a bit of focus

 

Looks very nice to me ...even that fall is quite graceful! 

Guido Franchetti

Thank you Srini and Alessandro. So in the iM shoulders should stay retracted. Phew, I guess it will take a while to get the shoulder width one to have the same quality as the wide grip one, but never mind, I am are here to improve!

Guido Franchetti

How is it progressing? iM is at the end of the video.

 

Cole Dano

You are letting your elbows roll open, keep the elbows stacked directly over the wrists, elbows pointing directly forward, not towards the sides. I think this will help with your body line as it will give you a stronger base to work positioning from.

Guido Franchetti

A quick check on my headstand

I am not to sure at what should I am for with the iM. Here are 4 attempts, with hands progressively narrower, the final one being shoulder width. Could anyone tell me which ones are fine?

Here are other three attempts, I do not go as narrow but I tried to put some PPT in it, is it better?

 

Guido Franchetti

bump

Cole Dano

On the PE, your elbows are still falling open, think of squeezing them together  a bit. 

On the iM, they are all too wide! Shoulder width. For most people it will feel impossible to arch the back like that at the proper width.

 

 

Guido Franchetti

So, to keep the elbows narrower I tried changing my hands position. I have made three videos in which I move hands progressively closer, A, B and C. A is my usual, C is very narrow and I was definitely feeling less stable.

Alternatively, I could keep the hands position unchanged and turn the elbows closer, but in doing so I feel like I am closing my shoulders.

Finally, here is an attempt at the iM, weight is around 3 kg.

I am still not too happy about it, but would it be enough to move on if I keep it in my warm up?

Cole Dano

I'd call it good to go.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Cole! Which one of A, B, C has better form?

Other question: would it be a bad idea to start playing with PE 7 (next "head down" element after PE 3) after my regular HS session? I have been playing with PE 3 up to now and I think it worked well. Besides, I really enjoy being upside down and progressing towards a handstand!