Foundation One & Hand Tendon Rupture

Started by Nick Spicer, March 9, 2016 · 5 Replies · 1,994 Views

Nick Spicer

Hi, Around August 2015 I had an extensor tendon rupture in zone 5 which for all purposes should be back to the strength it was before the accident however I'm getting some purple scar colouring/discomfort attempting even something like Scapular Shrugs when the hand is taking some force flat on the ground. 

I am getting it looked into however I was curious if you've seen this issue before and can give any recommendations? Bearing in mind I have previously been doing Barbell training with 120kg Deadlifts with not much issue. 

Cheers, Nick

Coach Sommer

No, no personal experience with such an injury.  Although it does jump out to me that the wrist being under load in suspension (e.g. deadlift) is fine, but even light pressure against the wrist is not.

Hopefully one of our forum members who are PTs will have some insight they can share.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Bailey

In addition to Coach's good point about wrist pressure, wrist extension may also be an issue at this stage.

That is good you are getting it looked into. 

Have you tried parallettes (maybe with a wash cloth for soft grip) for this movement as an alternative? This places the extensor mechanism in slack, via the closed grip. If this also hurts, elevating the body angle may help. Of course, if any discomfort stop.

Nick Spicer

Yeah I think parallettes will be a great idea, I haven't looked into all of the progressions but is this an acceptable substitute for anything which requires a flat palm on the ground? 

Cole Dano

Yes you can do most any flat palm element on parallettes.

Nick Spicer

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try using parallettes after the check up and report back in case (even though I'm probably the only one) someone else comes across the same issue in the future.

Cheers,

Nick