Reading the GB Book

Started by xi xia, October 25, 2009 · 5 Replies · 2,914 Views

xi xia

Those stories in the GB book are inspirational. Makes me reflect on how fast this first year of GB training has gone and what might be possible next year. Thank you very much Coach!

.

.

.

This is not intended to be a knock on this great training. However, I've heard gymnasts don't have incredible verticals nor starting sprint speed (at least not objectively measured). That's the one GLARING, smoking gun that tells me I am not on the right path toward my goal - be a faster, more explosive athlete with my particular field sport. I need to get myself to a gymnastic meet and see those guys run for the vault.

xx

Blairbob

They are not as fast as elite sprinters or perhaps the vertical jumps of olympic lifters, but an elite male gymnast would surprise you.

Charlie tamayo and standing double backs. However, individuals like this could probably be elite in a variety of other sports.

Sprint speeds on vault are somewhat curbed to control speed towards the vault for execution of said vault.

xi xia

Thanks for your response. I'm hoping the GB training coupled with a focus on sprints, box jumps, olympic lifting, squats will get me to my goals.

Blairbob said:
They are not as fast as elite sprinters or perhaps the vertical jumps of olympic lifters, but an elite male gymnast would surprise you.

Charlie tamayo and standing double backs. However, individuals like this could probably be elite in a variety of other sports.

Sprint speeds on vault are somewhat curbed to control speed towards the vault for execution of said vault.

Coach Sommer
XiaXi said:
However, I've heard gymnasts don't have incredible verticals nor starting sprint speed (at least not objectively measured).

Rather than basing decisions on rumor, what have been your own results of this past year?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley
Coach Sommer said:
XiaXi said:
However, I've heard gymnasts don't have incredible verticals nor starting sprint speed (at least not objectively measured).

Rather than basing decisions on rumor, what have been your own results of this past year?

I personally can run faster and jump higher (and further) than I have ever done so in my entire life! I have not checked my endurance specifically but I don’t get winded, like a used to get a year or so ago, when I dash up the hill to catch that pesky bus that comes early. :mrgreen:

I blame the jumping, and weighted one legged squats, standing fronts/backs, and natural leg curls! One other cool piece of information, without deadlifting at all over the past year (except to test myself of course) I raised my deadlift from 185 to 315 and acheived my first real goal of a double body weight deadlift. . . by just doing body weight gymastic style work! The next year I am shooting for a triple body weight pull.

What field sport do you play? Maybe you can tailor your gymnastics work towards that particular sport.

Hayden Whealing

I know my endurance has increased increased dramatically since a year ago when I started to do quite a bit tumbling and leg strength exercises. my beep test score last year was 11:4 and this year I beat it easily. I retired at 12:0 because blisters were developing on my feet :P