This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Restarting and Question on Progress

Started by Steve Schlegel, March 3, 2016 · 5 Replies · 232 Views

Steve Schlegel

Hi and thanks for reading.  I bought F1 two years ago and did it for about a month before lapsing entirely.  No good excuse, I just got lazy.  I'm 37, work full time, have two small children - you know, the same old story.  I am reaching the point where I'd like to start the program again but am realizing that I am incredibly inflexible (actually, I always knew, but this program has pointed out exactly how bad).  I tend to sit a lot for my job and that has caused very tight hamstrings, hips, hip flexors, etc.  So a significant part of my lack of motivation to continue with the program was the realization that it would take me a loooooong time to even get through some of the iM requirements for the first exercise.  For example, when I do the Swivel Hips exercise, my inside leg can only get to around 12" from the ground if I keep my glutes on the ground.  So I guess my primary question is if I do start the program up and do it consistently, how quickly can I expect mobility to improve in order to progress?  Or is supplementation with another program required?  I just don't have time to do multiple programs at the same time.  I try to do yoga 2-3 times per week, which has helped, but I still am seeing a situation where I will satisfy the strength requirements to progress but be stuck there until mobility catches up, which is incredibly de-motivating.  Has anyone started with the same types of mobility deficiencies and had success with the program, progressed faster than planned, or any other motivation to share?  Thanks

Ryan Bailey

 

1 hour ago, Steve Schlegel said:

Has anyone started with the same types of mobility deficiencies and had success with the program, progressed faster than planned, or any other motivation to share?  

 

Hi Steve, let the rehab begin :). There should be weekly, micro changes but the visual, bigger ROM changes of course take time. I'm in a very similar situation as you regarding age/family ect...

You can scroll throuh the GB blog and find some testimonials for others' successes 

if you'd like here:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/blog/

Good luck with everything. I recommend getting very involved with the forum like you are as well. Keeps you acountable and increases knowledge and safe progression. Put yourself out there. I should have done this sooner but did not understand the value of the feedback. My first post wasn't until 9 months after I started for some reason.

Ryan

Christian Nogueira

If you're coming from with some mobility deficiencies  (like a lot of desk bound adults are) I definitely think that Foundation needs to be supplemented with some focused static stretching.

If you can afford them the Stretch Series are awesome, as it's just 45 minutes per session (3 sessions per week if you use all 3 stretch series) so it should be easier to program. It has a follow along video which keeps everything at a crisp pace and is immensely useful in helping you actually hold the positions for the time that they need to be held in order for them to work.  

Mobility will take longer to improve, it's the nature of the thing, unfortunately. If you try to rush it you'll get hurt. 

Maksis Riley

Seconded to getting the stretch series! They made a huge improvement for me too. I would hazard a guess that the majority of the GB community start with similar mobility deficits to you Steve, just chip away! 

 

No matter how long it takes the time will go by anyway; imagine if you'd been at it these last two years? Don't let another two years go by without seeing what you can achieve. Be patient and enjoy using your body, it will improve and when you look back a year or two in and realise just how far you've come, you'll be happy you did.

 

All the best Steve, you're not alone and you will be great so all there is to do is just get to it :)

 

Max

Craig Copeland

Yes. get the stretch series.  Get it yesterday.  My athletic background is very similar to yours.  I started GB two years ago at age 43.  Flexibility a huge problem.  I made decent progress doing Foundations for one year, but my progress has quickened since I started all three stretch series about one year ago.  I've said this before:  the stretch series might look expensive ($270 for all three, I think?), but if you plan on doing each one once a week for the rest of your life, they are ridiculously inexpensive. 

Good luck, and focus on today's workout.  How do you eat a whale?  You eat it one bite at a time.

Steve Schlegel

Thanks, everyone.  Pretty much what I expected: slow and steady wins the race :).  I can see how being active on the forum could be just the motivation I need.  I'll also look into the stretch series.  Thanks again