This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't do Korean Dips!!!

Started by Jang Hyun Seong, February 24, 2016 · 45 Replies · 1,433 Views

Cole Dano

I imagine you'd be better off just working full depth regular dips. 

However as a weighted mobility might be something interesting, I haven't tried.

Petri Widsten

I may be wrong but as hands are behind the back in Koreans and bench dips but horizontally aligned with your body in PB dips it seems the shoulder extension mobility is more similar between the first two dip variants. Problem with regular bench dips is that they require very little strength.

Alessandro Mainente

Especially in the bench dips you are used to curl the spine since the hips are under or in front of the shoulders. ideally to improve the extension you should arch the spine and not curl.

It is not a matter of finding 2 thousand alternative exercises which "maybe" could help, you need extension of the shoulders and of the spine.work for them.

Petri Widsten

Ok, maybe it's better to just work Korean hangs etc. as per Cole's post earlier as well as extension exercises from other courses.

Nicholas Murray

One thing I've noticed with Korean Dips is that if you actually DIP (bend the elbows and extend the shoulders) as you descend, there's a lot less swinging and a lot more control.

So, make it a DIP, and not a SWING (....for those of you who started out swinging, like me!)

Gabriel Nunez

So glad I ran into this thread. I thought that I must've messed up somewhere on my previous progressions because I was getting nowhere being able to do one Korean Dip. I instinctively thought of doing Korean Dip hangs and glad that it was a recommendation here as well. Guess I am on HBP/PE 8.5.. now.. lol

Mark Goedeke

Today I did these again for the first time in 2-3 months, the time off being due to my RC injury. I have only been doing HBP 3 and 4 during my time off from these.

I started with 1x5 of HBP 6, 7 and 8 and then went on to the Korean dips. To my surprise it was really easy. I didn't have to think about technique and I don't know if my backside even brushed the bar once. 

I have been doing the TB stretch course (which I still really suck at), the other stretch courses and HS iM's. This has improved my shoulder mobility, from abysmal to merely very bad. The difference in the ease of avoiding the bar is incredible.

I also felt none of the tightness / pain that I used to feel in my hamstrings while doing this. I hope that I can have a similar improvement one day on MN PE6 !

Jon Douglas

Excellent. Congratulations!

Nicholas Blanchard

If I am sitting in the top position on the bar, I just feel like I am going to faceplant off the bar.  I feel like I have fairly decent mobility and strength, but I just fall too far forward on the descent until I fall off.  If I start from the bottom position just in a hang I am strong enough to push myself up however.

Everett Carroll

Hey Nicholas,

Please post a form check. We should be able to help you with some adjustments but a visual really helps.

Petri Widsten
19 hours ago, Nicholas Blanchard said:

If I am sitting in the top position on the bar, I just feel like I am going to faceplant off the bar.  I feel like I have fairly decent mobility and strength, but I just fall too far forward on the descent until I fall off.  If I start from the bottom position just in a hang I am strong enough to push myself up however.

In my experience it's a matter of learning to keep the right amount of tension in your arms and shoulders on the descent. Start off with more than you need to avoid dropping off and use a gym mat (I crashed a couple of times when learning and was grateful to have it). And don't sit on the bar but start your reps from the bottom.

Stefan Nielsen

hi on a good day i get my butt above the bar (with a little swinging) but have trouble leaning back enough, so i don't fall forward right away. any pointer/help on that? and does anybody else struggle with that. Tried looking up at the ceiling as far back as possible but doesnt seem to help.  

Alessandro Mainente

IN order to not fall forward you need to retract and depress the scapulae so that you can improve the thoracic extensione, then bend the elbows until your butt reaches under the bar, at this point the legs will swinf backward.  please post a form of your video.

Petri Widsten
On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:41 AM, Stefan Nielsen said:

hi on a good day i get my butt above the bar (with a little swinging) but have trouble leaning back enough, so i don't fall forward right away. any pointer/help on that? and does anybody else struggle with that. Tried looking up at the ceiling as far back as possible but doesnt seem to help.  

What I do is as soon as I'm almost level with the bar I forcefully lock out my elbows, with depressed and retracted scapulae as Alessandro said above, and lean back slightly from the hips (couple of times I've overdone it and nearly propelled myself over the bar). This allows me to stay in the top position if I want to.

Stefan Nielsen

 

 

Hi here a video of my best shot, some swinging to get there, and still can stay a top position. 

 

with the "forward fall" NOT how its done

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Stefan,

It looks like you still need a little more depression and retraction. I suggest posting a form check submission of your single bar dips (HBP/PE7 and HBP/PE8) since proper mastery of those two progressions should develop enough shoulder strength to eliminate the need for momentum here. Strongly depressing at the top of the single bar dips will help you to become more controlled and stable here. 

Stefan Nielsen

Okay....will try to post for check...

Kai Ewert

Stefan, have you tried starting the movement from the top position? I find that easier...

 

Michael Hart

I was on his for around 12 weeks making some but little progress.  I could very quickly manage 30s hangs and with a swing but I just couldn't get my ass over the bar.  I also really struggled with the paired mobility and found it a really awkward position to get myself into.  Then I had a idea after listening to one of coaches podcasts where he mentions weighted mobility.  So I started doing the mobility with the 2.5kg plate in the over head hand.  Then I moved to 5kg.  On the second week of trying on the 4th set I got 3 reps.  Next week, 2nd set to 5th set 3 reps.   Last week I did 4 sets 5 reps.  I attribute this to adding the weight on the mobiity.  The static hangs have also really helped in getting used to the sensation and controlling the swing into a more gradual lower.  So If the mobility feels awkward try adding a little weight.  Pressing strength wasnt an issue for me,  I just could get in the right position to make the dip work.  Im very concious im at the limit of my flexibily so I'm going to stay at 5x5 for a couple of extra weeks to make sure everything dialled before progressing further.  Ive also decided to do the mobility before the strength element on this exercise to make sure im loose enough, I also do this mobility as m warm up every session to futher improve my ROM in the shoulders.

Stefan Nielsen

Hi Kai yes both from top and bottom position (no difference really)...i can do the normal Korean Dip 4-5rep, but with the undergrip version im totally at a loss as how to keep the balance when i reach top position....Guess more practice is needed...

 

 

Christopher Denzer

Just got my first Korean Dip after a 5 weeks of practice. Here is what worked for me. Not saying it will work for you, but it might! Situation: couldn't get my butt back over the bar, got stuck under it and couldn't lift over. 

1. Holding at the bottom of the dip.

week 1 - 3x6s 

week 2 - 5x6s 

week 3 - 3x12s

week 4 - 4x12s

week 5 - 4x18s

 

THEN

 

2. When trying the full dip, holding my hands 1 and 1/2 times shoulder width

3. When trying the full dip, making sure that I am going as fully (deeply) into the dip as I can.

4. At the bottom of the dip, ensuring that my upper body held as tightly as possible.

5. At the bottom of the dip, ensuring that I am holding the arch that occurs from my back to my feet as tightly as possible. Try not to exaggerate the arch, but keep the entire length of your body held tightly. Your upper body will act as a fulcrum as you rock down into the dip, holding your body tightly keeps you from "leaking" the energy of the swing. This helps you to get the necessary momentum to get up and over the bar. Watch the athlete in the demo, he has a great deal of momentum on the return from the swing.

6. Commit fully to the swing. This is a combination of courage, strength and timing. You will swing further  and dip more deeply than you are probably comfortable with, but it is necessary to get the momentum you need, otherwise you will get stuck under the bar. You have to trust that even though you're essentially staring down a face-plant, that you'll hang on and be able to get back up. 

In summary:

Use the swing. Go deep in the dip. Hold your body tight. Good luck.