This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2

Started by Eva Pelegrin, February 19, 2016 · 14 Replies · 411 Views

Eva Pelegrin

As painful as it is for me to watch myself, here it my bent-arm push strength now. I can do 5 x 12r chest to floor pushups, with some cleaning up still needed in the last few reps. Humbling to say the least. I have to stop referencing in my head what I could do before and build myself up to those skills and hopefully beyond. My glutes are locked solid as far as I can take them. This is the max PPT I can do. I've played with the height of my hips as I figure you probably want them lower than this. But with my build if I go lower, I lose some degree of tuck.

I should probably inform you now about my “ex-condition.” Anyone who thinks that injuries change your life for the worse should read my posts ‘cuz I have a quite a few and I’m still in the game. Short story: I had elbow surgery last summer. Read no more unless you want to know why.

Last April, right before I was about to teach my stability ball class, I was standing and talking to a student when all of a sudden I felt something moving inside my elbow and up to my neck (nerve charge) and suddenly my arm literally froze. Now it’s show time and I have to teach a class. I’m trying to put on my mic on (over my head) with one hand pretending I am ok. I look at my class and I want to cry. While, I’m joking person comes up the stage to help me put my mic.

In one split second I went from fabulous to sh*t as the reality of no more HS, no more upper nothing instantly sunk in. I couldn’t bend or straighten my arm it UNTIL I was able to schedule surgery in late May.

At the time, I already knew I had a small osteochondral loose body in my left elbow anterior joint space for at least 2-3 years. I never did surgery to remove it because it didn’t interfere with my function and my ROM was normal. But that day, the bone fragment apparently “moved” and jammed my joint. Similar to putting a piece of wood in the hinge gap of a door that prevents it from closing and opening.

What I didn’t know is that the bone piece had grown from 1cm to 2.2cm in only 2 years! The loose body was feeding from the synovial fluid capsule like a peal. This is something (if the thingy could grow or move) that I actually took the precaution of asking 4 top NYC doctors because I had an avulsion fracture years ago and wanted to make sure it wasn’t the tip of the coronoid process growing. The answer was they didn’t know and “don’t be silly, there’s no room in there to move or grow. The MRI says loose, but it’s not loose…” Wrong.

Consequently, my strength has decreased considerably over the last year. I’ve also decreased my cardio activity over the years to just daily walking. I’m weaker and heavier now in that sickening proportionally inverse relationship. Not for long, tho. Regardless, my push strength has always lagged behind my pull. I did crew rowing in collage, so the imbalance probably started back then. Few years prior my surgery, I was doing static trapeze, which is also very pull dominant. I would like to go back to playing with trapeze when I feel lighter and more prepared for it. I miss the fear, adrenaline and pains. So much fun!

If you read this far, I hope you can relate somehow. We all have “baggage,” of different sorts (as I like to call it). It’s what we choose do with it now that matters. Bent Hollow Body here I come!

https://youtu.be/o5_q9cy5bdI

Jason Dupree

Video is private. That's sounds very unpleasant! You are in good company here though. Many have used foundation to overcome past injuries and ailments, including me. Glad to see you're still kicking :)

Eva Pelegrin

Tx Jason, very good company indeed. Try now.

Ryan Bailey
8 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

It’s what we choose do with it now that matters

Incredible statement here, Eva. This really hit home for me.  Thanks for sharing! 

I also found GB in my own injurious state where doctors prescribed some "walking for cardio" as well.  I looked for more and found Coach Sommer's work. Very grateful.

Good pushups, I was told to put my feet together after my first push up form check by the way. Its worth continuing form checks even once you think you have everything;  lots of great constructive criticism here.

Eva Pelegrin
9 hours ago, Ryan Bailey said:

feet together

Oh yes! That’s intentional but transient. I plan to feather in my feet distance, as I’m able to better handle my bodyweight (while my core and scapula stability up their game). I chose to start by establishing my bodyline and awareness of whole body integration first, so I can increase my TUT. If I put my feet together now, my line will break sooner at my ribcage and I imagine my reps will go way down.

Ryan Bailey

gotchya. makes sense. minor detail.

Eva Pelegrin

@Mark Collins or any coach who can read my Fri 1st post and look at push up form (post-surgery). Feet together, as soon as I get there. Thank you.

 

William Marler

If you're anything like me or Nash, this is just the beginning of a long, long, long, long road (and I know you know what I'm talking about!). Man oh man, I hope you're not like us.

Nice tempo. Great ROM. Great protraction at the finish of every rep. Great comeback-from-surgery story (I have 2 of those myself, though neither involve the excruciating pain of yours!). 

I'm not a coach, and am nowhere near perfect on these myself. I'm probably being like every other non-coach-form-commenter here and picking at nits that aren't important, but I'd say the non-rigidity of your body line during the ROM is something you should fix before you declare mastery. Make it look like your body (regardless of the degree of PPT) is like a board, pivoting at the toes. That is what I would say satisfies "Just do good solid pushups with a reasonable tempo and move on!" (What I consider to be Coach Sommer's canonical post on the matter).

Andrew Long

pretty good but id watch your form when coming back up.  you arch your upper back to get out of the bottom position. I would see how many reps you can do without doing that little arch and stick to that.  your body from head to toe should be a solid plank that doesnt bend, wobble or break in form.  

Cole Dano

Yes, Andrew hit the key point to work on.

If you are not able to do any reps without arching, then find an elevation where it is possible and use that as a sub step.

Keegan Yentsch

I agree with William, you are losing core tightness (to allow you to only have to lift your shoulders) in an attempt to make the "press" more manageable. I know you already received advice to use an elevated surface around knee height from Jon Douglas and others, so you know what to do.

Good luck.

Eva Pelegrin

Thank you William for stopping by. I appreciate your comments!  I hope I can solidify my board and kill my wave before I die, haha. Whatever it takes. Pushing has never been my forte, so it's time to dial into this weakness and balance it out. Cheers.

Eva Pelegrin

Thank you @Andrew Long @Cole Dano and @Keegan Yentsch for all your comments. This post was so lonely for a week... Thank you for taking the time. Just wanted to post a form check asap so I can make adjustments right away. I know it will take me a while to clean this one out. Best wishes for your training! 

Eva Pelegrin

@Cole Dano end of cycle check-in. I've been working lower reps and much slower tempo. This marks 1 yr after my elbow surgery.  I'm feeling a bit more confident with my left arm. The strength is coming slowly though. I hope it's "normal."

 

Cole Dano

This is much better than your earlier efforts.

It still looks like you are shrugging your shoulders forward as you press up, that would be the next thing to be mindful of.