This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN-PE2-iM

Started by Eva Pelegrin, February 18, 2016 · 33 Replies · 740 Views

Philip Papandrea

Hi

Dont have a solution but wanted to say thanks for this thread. I'm watching it very closely for a solution because I am in the same boat as you Eva, probably worse since my hamstring flexibility isn't even as good as yours. I have scoliosis and wore a brace for two years when I was a teenager. Kept my spine ramrod straight which I always thought was a good thing since people always told me I had great posture and I have never had any back pain. It wasn't until GB that I even considered this an issue. Jc looks terrible and can't even roll up into a tuck up for manna pe 1 cause my spine doesn't flex too easily.  Still debating how crazy I should go trying to fix this and if I'll actually cause some instability elsewhere by forcing my spine to curl.  

Luke Searra

@Wesley Tan Hi Wes - any advice on this one?

Eva Pelegrin

It's been six month between my two JC videos above. Do you see any improvements in my lower back? 

What are your thoughts on how to improve my JC form? 

My lower back loves JCs and I never had any pain with these. The concentric part of the movement feels very effective. However, my eccentric loading is where I feel I'm missing out more lower back participation because 1) not enough load, 2) as soon as my pelvis gradually begins to anteriorly tilt, the load is picked up by my hamstrings. 

The only way I know how to correct this is by slightly flexing my knees and keeping my glutes active with my pelvis in neutral for longer in order to shift the eccentric load to my lower back during the descend. I also feel I need to use more weight because my lower back is pretty stiff and doesn't flex voluntarily.

I have many ideas. I could do holds, rinsing, etc. But I'm here to learn  the GB way. I'd like to get a consensus on how to proceed. Thank you. 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Eva Pelegrin 

there is definitely huge improvement. :) don't worry about it that much because slow progress is progress. i have been doing JC since the release of Foundation One (2013). I don't do it regularly with weight but i am slowly starting to build up my 90%BW to 10 reps now after Coach's podcast. I did not programmed to reach that 90% but i was surprised on how i got it. it was result of continuous refinement of the Foundations. this might sound surprising but my lower back got better because of the other mobility drills like cat cow, shoulder bridge, etc. working on the Stretch Series will surely strengthen your JC.

Luke Searra

Definitely great progress Eva and some great advice from Leo about slow progress still being progress. Just keep doing what you are doing and being consistent.

Ryan Bailey

Hi Eva. Nice work. The JC looks great and I see improvements in your back. Look at 7 and 21 seconds of your first video noticing Lumbar, pelvis, and knees. Then compare it to the latest video. In the first: knees are somewhat bent with more of an anterior pelvic tilt. The latest video: knees locked, PPT allowing for improved, posterior lumbo-pelvic opening. I can see the progress.

You don't need my advice but I also like:

MN PE 3 iM 

pHS PE 1 iM

For that low and mid back flexion stretch.

Something about bodyweight providing just the right stimulus for that pesky area as well. 

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Leo, 

Thank you for your feedback. I too started JCs a few years ago and kinda used them as a feel good, pain relief, "survival tool" for my back; more so than to make huge flexibility gains or anything else. Only after I started GB, I’ve been focusing more on strict form with straight legs. What you’re saying doesn’t surprise me a bit. I also attribute any progress to my other iMs from F1 and HS2. In particular, my bHBR have really helped me a lot to “relax” my back (the rocking with gravity works really well for me). As well as the two iMs that Ryan so wisely pointed out and a supine classic pike version I like to do on the stall bars.

Ryan, 

That pesky area, if you’re referring to the posterior sacral ligaments and company waking up from the dead, yes, I feel it! Very, very slow unraveling but something. Gotta keep buying time and staying consistent like Luke said. As always, I really appreciate your keen input. I get so tired of looking at myself. it’s hard to be objective. Thank heaven for the forum!

Luke Searra

That's the way Eva

Goncalo Garcia

Hello Eva,

Thank you for your post :

I'm guessing its probably a combination of 2 things

1) Your APT that prevents you from feeling the JC in your mid to lower back

2) Your mid-lower back looks somewhat frozen to me.

Hi Eva,

Excellent improvements there!!

I agree with Luke on 2). I believe you have some APT issues that are limiting your JC - Mid-lower back. I ll recommend streching Hip Flexors (Psoas and TFL) and some Bridges like  Shoulder Bridge: FL/PE5>iM  maintaining PPT (bilateral and unilateral work).

Thanks