This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Push up HBP PE2 + /iM Bloc 3

Started by Ryan Bailey, February 16, 2016 · 39 Replies · 856 Views

Ryan Bailey

How is the push up and mobility form for training bloc 3, any feedback?

 

Thanks,

Ryan

Petri Widsten

Hi Ryan

On the PE, should your arms be vertical in the top position? Other than that they look good.

 

Ryan Bailey

probably, I don't know.  I am noticing I tend to drift forward, less weight through the feet as my scap protraction is feeling stronger.  Same thing is naturally happening with scap shrugs, I tend to drift forward, onto the tops of my feet as I press up into protraction, is this acceptable? 

thanks for the feedback... Is it Petri now? Shellbright? right? haha.

Petri Widsten

C'est moi :)

Can you keep everything else the same and change the arm angle? Don't know if that'll make them easier or harder.

 

Ryan Bailey

hmm, I'll see how that feels next session.

Merci beaucoup!

Cole Dano

Ryan first work on keeping that ppt and bottom ribs in. Too much arch in the lower back. Use your sPL work to help inform this. 

On the iM you're rushing the back half. Make sure you've fully twisted the weight around before you start to lower it. It's ok to turn your head and look back. Pick a spot on the wall behind you and aim for the weight to travel in a straight line down through that point. 

Ryan Bailey

Awesome, thanks Cole!

Peter Smek

i doing pushups also with pointed toes. So i feel my body is one solid piece like at leans. Try it

Wayne Grima
On 16/2/2016 at 5:04 PM, Cole Dano said:

Ryan first work on keeping that ppt and bottom ribs in. Too much arch in the lower back. Use your sPL work to help inform this. 

On the iM you're rushing the back half. Make sure you've fully twisted the weight around before you start to lower it. It's ok to turn your head and look back. Pick a spot on the wall behind you and aim for the weight to travel in a straight line down through that point. 

Cole or someone that knows, I understand your advice on the iM. However

for the PE I didn't understand the advice. Could you please explain what you mean by

keeping the PPT and rib IN . After viewing Ryan's video I wasn't able to spot what the advice

was.

Thanks this will  help me understand how to do it right.

Mikkel Ravn

When you have PPT (posterior pelvic tilt), the tailbone is pushed towards the heels, the lower back flattens, and the lower ribs are 'sucked' into the torso.

Wayne Grima

Thanks Mikkel. So this is what we want? To have the lower back

flat and and the lower ribs into the torso? Is this the problem, where I've maked.

 

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Screenshot (64).png

Cole Dano

Yes that's it.

Wayne Grima

Cool thanks Cole, you really do learn something everyday.:D

Ryan Bailey

 Regarding sPL progressions to help with this:

Can I start adding in some sPL PE2 holds to work on PPT and building the holding strength? I've been on (Scap shrugs) PE 1 because of the swivel hips issues.  I feel holds in a plank position could do me some good.  I feel I'm way behind in sPL progressions and am not sure when I'll master swivel hips.

 Or should I just continue to improve scap shrugs while focusing on PPT and alignment better?   

Thanks

Cole Dano

Interesting your inverted pike is so good yet swivel hips are giving you issues. How far off are we talking?

In any case, not speaking officially, yes, do at least some sPL Pe2-3 work to help prep for HBB work.

Ryan Bailey

-Thanks Cole for asking. Here was my last swivel hips ROM video (5 weeks ago).

 

By the way, thanks alot, now the push ups were a lot harder today trying to tighten that PPT so much.:o I know its good to learn now.

-And Wayne, I think your red line is a bit exagerated that you drew on me, flying a little high over my glut max muscle there. Haha.

Thanks again everyone for the datails. This is exactly why I posted a form check to make sure.

Ryan Bailey
On 2/17/2016 at 7:43 AM, Cole Dano said:

Interesting your inverted pike is so good yet swivel hips are giving you issues. How far off are we talking?

In any case, not speaking officially, yes, do at least some sPL Pe2-3 work to help prep for HBB work.

Hi Cole Dano - here is an updated swivel hips from today's session. I have been using the advice over the past 5-6 weeks given to me by Alessandro Mainente on these. Not pretty, but I think I am ready to move out of sPL PE1 and get more PPT work in now.

 

Any feedback?

Thanks

Cole Dano

It's not perfect but not horrible by any means. 

Hip opening is a process all it's own, I wouldn't hold you back from moving on to the next PE with that level of swivel hips, but would want you to do some additional hip opening work of your choice. With as good a pike as  you have, I'd really want to see your hip opening at the same level - eventually.

Ryan Bailey

Great Cole. Thanks for all the help and guidance lately!

Ryan Bailey

Hi everyone, 

Been working on the PPT and alignment more with the push ups before moving up a step. 

Is this form any better?

 

Thanks

Cole Dano

Not quiet there, have you started work on sPLPE 2 or 3 yet? That will be the easiest place to work on the fix.

Ryan Bailey

Thanks Cole, ya, started sPL PE2. I'll keep at that.

Cole Dano

Right on, post a form check for it and let's try to relate it to your PU form.

Ryan Bailey

Thanks!

Cole Dano

Elbow plank isn't too bad. Knees are a bit soft and the PPT could be a bit more. I'm guessing both are due to tight hip flexors. 

For the iM, try to keep completely square with the bench. You're twisting.

Your push ups should have the same body line as your plank. If you look at the concave curve in your lower back, it's larger for your pushups than for your plank. So that's what I'm harping on you about.