This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE 1 - Form Question

Started by Easto, February 11, 2016 · 3 Replies · 165 Views

Easto

I am having some trouble with these and I am not sure if it's a technique thing or not.

 

1.  When I roll back should I be rolling back as far as I can in order to gather enough momentum to roll forward to my feet?

 

2.  When coming back forward do the knees have to be together or can I flare my knees?

 

3.  Foot position - are my feet supposed to be together, shoulder width, or any other specific distance apart.

 

I find on failed reps when I am standing up I am off balance backwards and have to do a small hop or step back to regain balance.  I am counting those as failed reps.  For some reason I haven't been able to get past week 1 for this exercise which I was surprised by and I wonder if it has to do with my form.

Giovanni Garcea

I can't answer your questions but I asked a similar one in the past:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/22701-slspe1-feet-together/

 

I also could not get past week one and I had to regress using a mat to roll back on for a few months to help me out.

 

These are my cues not to miss reps and not to lose balance and step back, based on the forum's collective wisdom:

  • When you roll back try to not extend the legs. It might seem like it is helping because you gain more momentum, but it will make you land in a bad position.
  • Focus on keeping your feet close to your butt at all time.
  • When you roll forward try to lean forward with your upper body as much as you can.
  • Put your arms forward, really focus on this one, if you are casual about your arms, the movement gets way more difficult.
  • Try to stand up at the last possible second. If you try to early you will fall back.
  • When I get all of these right I found that speed/momentum is not a major factor, actually rolling more slowly allows me to focus on form more.

I can't keep my knees and feet together myself, so I guess I'll post a form check in the next couple of weeks to see if my form is good enough.

Easto

Do my feet have to be narrow (close together) or can my feet be shoulder width apart?

Jon Douglas

Shoulder width is fine; narrow requires slightly more flexibility and may bebest approached after mastering a few more SLS ims to ensure your knees are capable of good ROM under load :)