This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

An End to Hand Holding on Tasks :)

Started by Cory Fair, February 10, 2016 · 31 Replies · 2,064 Views

Michael King
8 hours ago, Julia Quigley said:

@Michael King, did you read where they are working on an offline functionality for people (such as yourself) who have legitimate non-access to Internet at certain times? 

Also, if their site mafunctions and you can't check the boxes, I'm sure you could email Cory right away (before midnight) to let him know of the problem with web and you'd still get credit.

Hi Julia,

I actually did not read that but that is great if so. The point is in both cases I had every intention of going back later and putting in the info but alas life just kept on happening and the next time I thought about it was the next day. No big shakes though. I will get to the end eventually! ;D

Coach Sommer

A lot of passionately presented points, however to my ears they primarily expound upon the theme of why it is ok that a task wasn't checked.  To me as a national team coach all of these 'whys' are heard loud and clear as excuses.

Yes, someone's internet access may be intermittent.  Deal with it and plan accordingly.

Yes, someone may feel frustrated when they miss a step and are unable to progress.  I have no issues with that at all.  Feeling frustration leads to action which leads to improvement.  

Now granted this process is not always comfortable, but we are not here to be comfortable; we are here to improve and succeed.  And learning to productively deal with frustration is one of the most important steps towards eventually achieving success.

Remember that this is behavior modification, not behavior justification.

Bottom line; it is not ok to miss your assignment.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Elizabeth Walsh
On 2/12/2016 at 6:50 AM, Eric Kamhi said:

An option to check off tasks for the day before, would be nice.  

 

I know most people have their heads dug into their mobiles 24/7 now, but some have a life setups that makes dinnertime/storytime/bedtime riddled with lots of tasks with a higher priority than going online to check stuff off.

 

Have no problem sticking to a plan on how to eat or train, but when I log it could be a little more flexible.  Just my .2 cents.

 

On 2/21/2016 at 10:39 AM, Travis Widmann said:

Yeah, forgetting to mark tasks is not a matter of "bad luck." Bad internet connection is a problem but if that's a consistent issue for you than you're always going to have that problem when you buy access to web-based courses.

You knew the nature of the program before you bought into it, right? What you're asking for now is a different product altogether.

I disagree with Travis. I started with Fundamentals and in that program I was able to log a previous day , and therefore assumed that Thrive would follow the same logic. My husband and I are avid hikers/campers. We often opt for weekends away from internet connection. The absolute worse time to miss logging a day is Friday, Saturday, or Sunday - doing so results in missing out on the subsequent Monday AND Thursday lessons. Following this program requires me to be tethered to internet connection on the weekends. 

I am following the program. Logging in once a day does not mean I have followed the program, it simply means that I logged in. I can log in at 8am and check off my entire meals for the day. How is that more honest than logging all of my Saturday meals on Sunday morning? It isn't. The only behavior that is being reinforced is the accessing of the internet- not following the program. If you trust me to accurately log my meals at the end of the day then why can't you trust me to accurately log the following morning?

Elizabeth Walsh
On 2/10/2016 at 3:36 PM, Cory Fair said:

Overall, we've seen some solid progress all around from everyone who started in January.  Now that the course has been out for over a month and you all have the hang of how it works (along with a new dashboard), I am discontinuing the hand holding on completing tasks. From here out, please make sure you check tasks well before midnight so you aren't racing the clock to get credit. 24 hours is a lot of time to mark off a few items, so I won't do it for you if you fail to meet deadline.

 

**Remember that you must complete your new task for six days to unlock the next lesson**

 

1) That means if you get a lesson on Monday you need to do that task Mon-Sun to unlock next Monday's lesson.

2) If you get a lesson on Thursday you need to do that task Thurs-Wed to unlock next Thursday's lesson.

3) You still must keep up on previous tasks or you can't unlock the new lesson.

 

Thrive is about creating permanent habits. There's no deadline on finishing the course, as long as you are mastering and maintaining each habit you are doing exactly as you should.

But I don't have 24 hours (if I'm honestly logging after completing the meal). I have less than 2 hours between finishing dinner and turning off the blue screen. How about 24 hours from end of day? Can you give us that? Log the meal within 24 hours?

Jeff Serven

You don't need 2 hours you only need 2 minutes. But, thanks for the message and I hear ya(kind of) 

Marios Roussos

Elizabeth, as you've suggested, Jeff and his crew cannot know what we're doing at home (though he *is* a former Navy SEAL so you never know), and I'm sure that there are individuals who use that liberty to be dishonest with the program and with themselves.

In the end though, we're all really only accountable to ourselves. You're not doing this for Jeff, for coach, or anyone else on this board, so you get to decide what's reasonable for your situation. I personally think it would be perfectly reasonable (and ethical) for you to use the current day to enter the previous day's meals, so that you're only logging in once per day at a time that facilitates your being consistent with the process, i.e. when you're not busy preparing a meal for 4 screaming kids while ensuring they're doing their homework or piano practice, getting them bathed and into pyjamas, reading to them before bed, doing your regular workouts or stretches, and maybe even spending five minutes of alone time with your significant other. 

Everyone has different responsibilities in life, and therefore a different perspective about what's important or even possible and what isn't. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that it's up to you to decide what works for your specific life situation, and that you shouldn't feel guilty about not being able to do what an 18-year old kid who still lives at home can do, but instead find a solution that works for you and allows you to be at peace with yourself. 

 

 

 

 

Coach Sommer

Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry, but no.  People will continue to have till midnight to log their day's tasks.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer