This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

An End to Hand Holding on Tasks :)

Started by Cory Fair, February 10, 2016 · 31 Replies · 2,064 Views

Cory Fair

Overall, we've seen some solid progress all around from everyone who started in January.  Now that the course has been out for over a month and you all have the hang of how it works (along with a new dashboard), I am discontinuing the hand holding on completing tasks. From here out, please make sure you check tasks well before midnight so you aren't racing the clock to get credit. 24 hours is a lot of time to mark off a few items, so I won't do it for you if you fail to meet deadline.

 

**Remember that you must complete your new task for six days to unlock the next lesson**

 

1) That means if you get a lesson on Monday you need to do that task Mon-Sun to unlock next Monday's lesson.

2) If you get a lesson on Thursday you need to do that task Thurs-Wed to unlock next Thursday's lesson.

3) You still must keep up on previous tasks or you can't unlock the new lesson.

 

Thrive is about creating permanent habits. There's no deadline on finishing the course, as long as you are mastering and maintaining each habit you are doing exactly as you should.

strme

i forgeting marking 1-3 tasks every time. need my first habit. visiting web page 6 time a day . hehe

JaredL

OH, so we have to log it every single day ( including sunday to cover for thurs' task)?  I got the distinct impression that Sunday was the day off for the entire course, and therefore I've never logged in on sunday. I will correct this and there will be no more mishaps!

trw

Hmm, no, I don't think Sunday counts toward progress. Off is off.

JaredL

Except read point 2 .. .  I don't know..

Jeff Serven

Sunday is off. Always is, always will be. We aren't going to put "except Sunday" on everything. 

Eric Xavier

An option to check off tasks for the day before, would be nice.  

 

I know most people have their heads dug into their mobiles 24/7 now, but some have a life setups that makes dinnertime/storytime/bedtime riddled with lots of tasks with a higher priority than going online to check stuff off.

 

Have no problem sticking to a plan on how to eat or train, but when I log it could be a little more flexible.  Just my .2 cents.

LurkingFrog

I would argue against that option. Most of my nutrition failures have come from a lack of planning - didn't have veggies available when I was eating, asked out to lunch with a group at work when I didn't bring it, that sort of thing. If I've shopped and, even better, prepped the food in advance, completing the tasks is as simple as just eating. At that point, I'm much more comfortable checking off the tasks in the morning knowing that I've already done the hard part to set myself up for success for the day. Besides, I'm much more likely to forget if I check things off at random times as it is no longer a habit.

Coach Sommer
Eric Xavier said:

... An option to check off tasks for the day before, would be nice ...

No.  

 

Everything in Thrive Level 1 is designed to be simple, direct and build accountability.  Today's tasks need to be logged today.  If you miss logging them today, there is no second chance provided tomorrow.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Peter Smek

I am so unlucky. 3weeks for me was not sucesful mark all task. Its just because i forget or i just had no internet connection. 

If i want it, can you unlock for me everything? Looks like visiting web page is my main problem ,cant handle this.

Si Hoang

If you don't happen to have internet connection at the time that's one thing but if you forgot how would that make you accountable if they just unlocked everything for you? If internet connection is your main issue perhaps find a more stable provider or log in earlier and mark off tasks to make sure you have done it before the cut off point? I missed it once due to issues with the site but I also waited till last minute to tick off the boxes. Now I make sure I log in just before I start eating dinner so I know I that the whole day's tasks have been completed. I suggest just redoubling your efforts to check off your tasks. Maybe set an alarm. The whole point of Thrive is to build behaviours that improve health and performance that stay with us for the rest of our lives but that requires that we also put the work in. Like everything else in GB.

Travis Widmann

Yeah, forgetting to mark tasks is not a matter of "bad luck." Bad internet connection is a problem but if that's a consistent issue for you than you're always going to have that problem when you buy access to web-based courses.

You knew the nature of the program before you bought into it, right? What you're asking for now is a different product altogether.

Peter Smek

Yes i get it. 

only problem its marking tasks everyday. 2 or 3 weeks i struggling with marking. Try to feel my pain. Informations from this course, which is superb, i apply everyday and i want to move on. 

Douglas Wadle

I'm all for not hand-holding, but I would like to lobby for an opportunity to go back a couple days and mark off what we did.  I for one am frequently out in the mountains for a few days at a stretch.  No computer access, and don't want it :) .  However, I am eating appropriately during this time.  My progress will be slow otherwise, and if it must be this way, no problem, I will survive.  However, I feel it would more accurately allow us to chart what we're actually doing if we could go back and add things after the fact.  Also, since computer face time is associated with weight gain and inactivity, I would argue that it's good for us to not be chained to making a habit of being online every day.  My 2 cents, for what it's worth. 

Jeff Serven

Douglas,

Suspect 008. 

Touché on the only legitimate excuses (besides deployment) for missing a step. Well played, sir. Well played.

 

Douglas Wadle

No worries, Jeff.  If my reasons are deemed weak, I'll deal.  Cheers.

Cory Fair

Limited offline functionality is in development (not immediate and no eta yet) so our deployed students and other one-off situations can mark off tasks when they don't have internet. We aren't however adding the ability to edit past days. There's no getting around the daily accountability aspect of Thrive.

Marios ROussos

Regardless of how well I eat during a week of call in the ICU, the last thing I think of when driving home to read bedtime stories to my kids before having to race back to the hospital to resuscitate a crashing patient, is whether I've toggled all my nutritional goals for the day.

Users can toggle whatever they want when they log onto the website regardless of what they ate; this whole set-up is based on people being honest with themselves. It therefore shouldn't matter if we can log past days, as those who will lie to themselves retrospectively are usually the same people who will lie to themselves prospectively. 

I'm definitely not losing sleep over this, but since Doug is lobbying, I thought I'd show some solidarity. 

Coach Sommer

Not a chance, guys.  

If the tasks are not logged on time, they did not happen and do not exist as far as Thrive and myself are concerned.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Peter Smek

:)

Michael King

So the point is that us training to push buttons by a certain time carries more importance than us eating what we are supposed to? I'm not trying to be a smartass but seriously, if I slip up and don't eat right one day but push the right buttons, in the eyes of the powers that be, I have done great. Conversely, if I eat perfectly but can't get around to pushing the buttons, I have failed. 

For a website whose programming has changed every time I turn around, it is kind of surprising how rigid it is when it comes to helping people out who are making a genuine effort. Earlier, it was discovered that the people who had paid for this program were actually less mobile and flexible with far less explosiveness than was originally believed.The result? A change in the programming to accommodate students who were not in as good shape as was originally assumed. Perhaps those whose entire lives revolve around gymnastics and the gymnastics community have a difficult time understanding how those who do not occasionally don't have the time to push the buttons. And there have actually been a couple of times when I tried repeatedly to enter my info but when I tried to go to the correct page, could not access it, not because of ISP failure but due to some technical problem on the this site's end. The result? I didn't get credit even though my actions were perfect.

Anyway, just seems a bit out of the norm based on willingness to make changes in the past to help facilitate the success of those who pay for these services and are sincere, if not always perfect, in their efforts. But I'll just keep setting a timer and pushing the buttons when I can.

James Hall
5 hours ago, Michael King said:

So the point is that us training to push buttons by a certain time carries more importance than us eating what we are supposed to? I'm not trying to be a smartass but seriously, if I slip up and don't eat right one day but push the right buttons, in the eyes of the powers that be, I have done great. Conversely, if I eat perfectly but can't get around to pushing the buttons, I have failed. 

For a website whose programming has changed every time I turn around, it is kind of surprising how rigid it is when it comes to helping people out who are making a genuine effort. Earlier, it was discovered that the people who had paid for this program were actually less mobile and flexible with far less explosiveness than was originally believed.The result? A change in the programming to accommodate students who were not in as good shape as was originally assumed. Perhaps those whose entire lives revolve around gymnastics and the gymnastics community have a difficult time understanding how those who do not occasionally don't have the time to push the buttons. And there have actually been a couple of times when I tried repeatedly to enter my info but when I tried to go to the correct page, could not access it, not because of ISP failure but due to some technical problem on the this site's end. The result? I didn't get credit even though my actions were perfect.

Anyway, just seems a bit out of the norm based on willingness to make changes in the past to help facilitate the success of those who pay for these services and are sincere, if not always perfect, in their efforts. But I'll just keep setting a timer and pushing the buttons when I can.

Pushing buttons isn't so hard- this post pushes Jeff's and Coaches' :lol:.  At any rate, the beauty of the program is that it addresses behavioural change and the logging is probably the simplest way of doing so.  It has a logical, stepwise structure and makes you accountable to yourself; the conditioning of success in this course, so far required, has done me a great service.  It is designed to build in simple behavioural psychology strategies and I thank these guys for doing so.  I am writing this on a day where I would have gotten a new step but didn't because of a missed tick- I forgot- I can still appreciate the importance of this as an external motivator in this change process.  This course seems as much about my psychological growth as my nutritional.  That's powerful.

Jason Dupree

Coach treats us like his own world class athletes. Some of us love that, some of us don't, but it is definitely effective. Compliance and consistency are two of the most important things when going for a goal. The third is a good program. We have a good program, and they are trying to give us compliance and consistency as well with these buttons. As a trainer I understand this, when I give a client a perfect program, but they don't follow it and get bad results, that reflects poorly on me, no matter how things should be. Yes, you could lie and push buttons when you haven't completed the task, but why would you? You can't blame anyone but yourself for that one. 

As far as programming, it hasn't changed (besides side lever stuff). Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to. There has been more of an effort to get people following the programming as intended though. 

Michael King
7 hours ago, James Hall said:

Pushing buttons isn't so hard- this post pushes Jeff's and Coaches' :lol:.  At any rate, the beauty of the program is that it addresses behavioural change and the logging is probably the simplest way of doing so.  It has a logical, stepwise structure and makes you accountable to yourself; the conditioning of success in this course, so far required, has done me a great service.  It is designed to build in simple behavioural psychology strategies and I thank these guys for doing so.  I am writing this on a day where I would have gotten a new step but didn't because of a missed tick- I forgot- I can still appreciate the importance of this as an external motivator in this change process.  This course seems as much about my psychological growth as my nutritional.  That's powerful.

WHy would my post push anyone's buttons? I didn't say anything disrespectful or nasty. I expressed my discouragement at something that doesn't necessarily even have to do with behavior but perhaps wasn't clear enough. Put it simply: as I mentioned earlier, a few times I went to enter my information and the site was malfunctioning. The result? NO credit. What does that have to do with behavior? I work for the government which doesn't allow access to a lot of websites. Sometimes shifts are 12pm-12am. In this situation, the only recourse is to enter lunch and dinner info before they happen or not have a chance to do so at all. Is the first option acceptible? All some of us are saying is that when we have done what we were supposed to do and circumstances beyond our control that have nothing to do with behavior prevent us from pushing the buttons on time, there should be a feature that remedies that. When I said the programming has changed, I meant the features and ease of use of this site. I bought one of the first editions of BtGB (and waited for a good while on the 4 volumes that were to follow, so yes, actual workout programming was changed even before the online content was released) and have subsequently purchased everything that has been put out. Yes, there have been a lot of changes to the programming and the 'programming'. This has always been done in an organic way in order to circumvent a problem that was previously unseen. All I'm saying is that if this course is designed to help with behaviors, what kind of behavior is programmed when I do everything I am asked to do but am penalized because the site messes up or something else that is out of my control?

Julia Quigley

@Michael King, did you read where they are working on an offline functionality for people (such as yourself) who have legitimate non-access to Internet at certain times? 

Also, if their site mafunctions and you can't check the boxes, I'm sure you could email Cory right away (before midnight) to let him know of the problem with web and you'd still get credit.