In need of a little help...

Started by Joakim Anderson, October 20, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,345 Views

Joakim Anderson

I have goals that I want to reach, and exercises that I like to do, but I'm having a bit of difficulty putting it all together in a program.

These are my goals (short and long term as you can see):

Ring muscle up - can do jumping and negatives so far. Pullups and dips are easy, it's the transition that troubles me

Ring shoulderstand - I can do it on the floor or on parallettes for 30 seconds without much sweat, but the rings will still take some time to master

3 paralette HSPU's - can do one now, I want to work up the max reps

One arm chin - can do a half ROM and static holds

Back lever - Had it before I went travelling in September

Front lever - Can do one-legged

Planche - Flat tuck so far

The exercises I prefer at the moment are:

Jumping MU

OAC 90° holds

Flat tuck FL rows

L-sit to shoulderstand

Rings turned out dips

Flat tuck 360 pulls

and along with these the BL, FL, and PL progressions.

My main problem I guess is to combine the static work with all the other work without tiring myself too much before the workout is over. I would be very thankful for some tips on how to put it together. Preferable would be if it would all be fitted into one workout, but I can split it into two sessions aswell. Three or more would be too complicated, I want to keep it simple.

Yours,

Joakim.

heinrich

Wow you are strong! Quite surprising you don't already have a strong MU :o

1.

Have you already thought about combining most of these exercises into a ring strength series?

I think this would save a lot of time.

e.g.

MU (jumping) - L-sit to shoulderstand - RTO-Dips - negative MU - 360-Pulls (maybe stopping in FL and BL postion)

If you can do a tuck PL on the rings it could also be worked easily into that series.

2.

A different approach could be this

Integrated training like in some of the WODs!

BL + Pulling (FL rows on day1, 360's on day2, jumping MU day3)

PL + Pressing (RTO-Dips on one day, HSPU on another)

FL + Legs or core

OAC static holds + assisted OAC's

I'd pair horizontal pulling with horizontal pressing,

vertical pulling with vertical pressing,

multiplane pulling with multiplane pressing like Coach writes in his book.

3.

The exercises I prefer at the moment are:

What about planche pushups or pseudo planche pushups? I think there are a lot of people who benefited from those as well.

4.

Don't you work on Handstands and Press Handstands?

Just some thoughts to initiate the discussion..

Joakim Anderson

Thanks for the reply! It was very helpful. I tried the strength series that you mentioned and added a flat tuck planche after the RTO dip.

The execution was not perfect; jumping MU should become strict MU, I need to make my shoulderstand straight instead of straddle, the flat tuck planche was pretty weak, and I'll make the flat tuck 360 pull into a straddle or half-lay.

So I have alot to work with and get better at.

Your second approach is a bit too much for me. I want to keep it as simple as possible. A bit less planning, a bit more training :)

Concerning planche pushups, press HS and HS work; I do it on parallettes which works fine now. L-sit to shoulderstand to HS, HS pushups, 30 second freestanding HS and such. Maybe I'll do some negative tuck planche pushups on the rings next time.

And about my weak MU, I neglected it during my whole training in the spring and summer, pretty stupid, but I'm making up for it this winter :)