This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE6

Started by Jason Dupree, February 8, 2016 · 16 Replies · 354 Views

Jason Dupree

First time trying this one. I know my shoulders are hard to see, I'll wear a brighter shirt next time, or check the shirt policy here. I've decided to do form checks starting on block 1 instead of waiting till block 3.

https://youtu.be/WaLXdPH0dKc

https://youtu.be/XyqjiPghiEw

I do not feel confident with the amount of lean at all. Is this unfounded or no?

Here is my PE5 page for reference.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/22845-splpe5/

I don't mind going back, I'd just like some guidance. Thanks!

Gavin S

As you are wearing a top it is basically impossible to tell if you have achieved your lean with the necessary protraction and depression. Please shoot again so we can see the shoulder position.

Jason Dupree

Yes, I didn't even think about it when I went out, I'll get another up Thursday

Jason Dupree

https://youtu.be/c0ufhQDdym0

Feel a bit better on the lean, could probably use more PPT. On the right track?

Jason Dupree

Week 2, 5x6s

 

Cole Dano

Right now the most import issue to work on is your lower back. 

Posterior pelvic tilt and tight abs.

Just focus on this for now, if you are not able to fix it right away then, let's roll all the way back to plank and fix it there first.

Jason Dupree

Thanks Cole! Yea that wasn't at the forefront of my mind, but now it will be. I don't think I'll need to go back that far to fix it :) We'll see though on Thursday, unless I can mess around with it before then

Cole Dano

No worries, we just want to make sure you have a good solid body line before pushing it forward. Once  it's engrained you won't even have to think about it.

Jason Dupree

Unfortunately I couldn't take my shirt off due to a class, but hopefully it's clear enough. @Cole Dano, is the PPT good enough?

Cole Dano

It's better, but I'd like to see you work on it a bit more.

Can you post a vid of  your sPL/PE5? Due to the leg angle it's easier to do there.

Jason Dupree

Shot this morning. 

Cole Dano

It's not super far off, but not quite there either. Are you actively squeezing your glutes?

I'm not sure if it's a lack of tension in the lower body, or tight hip flexors or both. 

Jason Dupree

Yes, actively squeezing glutes. I can confirm tight hip flexors, at least my left one is tight enough to limit PPT. I do the stretch courses which helps. What would you recommend moving forward?

Cole Dano

If you are working on hip flexors, since the body line is the same with all of these sPL elements, go ahead with them.

However there are other issues with your elevated lean, namely lack of lean :)

My thought is re-run PE5 - working on a touch more lean. And assuming you have H1, work the PPT drills that come about mid course and of course keep stretching those hip flexors.

Quite a few of us have run through the two leans two or three times, it's an effective strategy in any case. The difference in lean between PE5 and PE6 plus the better body line of PE5 make me think it's better to work from there for now.

Jason Dupree

I'll definitely hit pe5 again, thanks a bunch!

Ryan Bailey

Jason, do you mind if I ask what your hip flexor warm up is for PPT and sPL work? I need work on this. I am thinking lunge limbering and lunge stretch, lizard stretch, verticle shin and PPT activation. Just curious to your preperation approach here.

Jason Dupree

Don't have one, which is probably my problem! Now that it is clearly an issue I plan on adding a set or two of bent vertical lunge to my warm-up, followed by a set or two of a HS PPT exercise. I have already modified my handstand workouts to include all 3 types of shoulder mobility, maybe I can fit dedicated PPT work in there as well.