Got 4x30s with this form today. Wanted to check form before testing mastery. The main thing I'm worried about, is this enough lean? It's hard for me to tell exactly where my hands are even looking at the video. I feel strong enough in the upper body to lean more, but my wrists can't take it yet.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
sPL/PE5
Started by Jason Dupree, December 22, 2015 · 17 Replies · 384 Views
It looks nice but I think you should lean more. If you don't lean enough now you'll have trouble later with more advanced progressions.
Do you stretch your wrists every time in your warm up?
You could include the 4 wrist stretches from HS in your warm up to help develop mobility
Yes, actually they've helped a lot. When I forget them sometimes it hurts to put pressure (like a push up position) on them afterward. The wrist rocks seem to relieve the pain the most. It rarely hurts during the leans though.
Jason Dupree said:Yes, actually they've helped a lot. When I forget them sometimes it hurts to put pressure (like a push up position) on them afterward. The wrist rocks seem to relieve the pain the most. It rarely hurts during the leans though.
Good then is only question of letting them adapt hence time. I also found that flossing using Kelly Starret Voodoo band really helped my wrist mobility
It's better but if you turn the hands too much may not be able to use the fingers to keep the stability but that's just a guess. It's a nice idea to get back to block 1 or 2.
With this spirit you'll reach a great form soon. Good job
For me the lean looks enough for mastery (hands anywhere between lower ribs and hips) and good form. Maybe you could send a message to Alessandro Mainente and ask for his advice.
One thing I noticed was yes there was less stability from the fingers, and it lit my chest up like crazy, probably to compensate for stabilization. Not sure that's a bad thing, but I don't want to work around a weakness (wrist mobility) only to have it bite me later.
Did 5x30 successfully last week with this form, took a video after my deload workout today. Any reason I should not move on to pe6?
Looks good to me. I'd move on.
So I've taken a step back to this element after taking advice on my pe6. I can see there is still plenty to gain from this exercise. I have been able to do planche leans with two different forms.
1. Rounding the upper back. Here I feel it more in the traps. I don't really feel it in my serratus, though I am actively depressing and protracting (I always set up like I do in my vid I posted Feb 1st).
2. Focusing solely on protraction without trying to round the upper back, though it does round naturally. I feel this much more in the biceps and serratus, not much if anything in my traps.. I feel more stable in this position as well. That said, i'm pretty sure #1 is more correct based on other form checks i've read.
Since I have no idea what a full straddle planche should feel like, i'm not sure exactly what i should be feeling in the planche leans. If I was to go by what felt best, it would be #2, but again, from what i've seen #1 is closer to what i've seen in other form checks. Which version is better to practice?
I am not so good on planche work as the other coaches so I may be corrected here, but I would like to see the it flatter on yours; more like #2 but even a bit more so. Unroll it just a touch more and hold a tight line rather than trying to get over the top of it. I'll share my experience; play with this and and see if it helps.
Not too long ago I found I could improve my planche leans substantially when I had a similar thought process to you; "I don't know what a planche should feel like," and tried bringing more tension into my glutes/legs, and pushing up some as if I were doing a reverse leg lift. Flatter back and more lean worked better, even if my legs felt too 'heavy' to lift. When I felt like I could get my arms under me a bit better, bracing on my traps, it started to put more weight onto my arms and off my feet. That extra weight made the difference, burned and then built up my lower traps over a couple months, and now elevated planche work and on into F2 planche work is proceeding much better ![]()
8 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:Unroll it just a touch more and hold a tight line rather than trying to get over the top of it.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean, from a straight plank, don't hunch any more attempting to 'get over it'? If so that's along the lines of what I've been thinking while getting into #2.
Just to be clear, lower traps should definitely be felt during this? I never have felt those on leans, looks like I need to figure that out! I'll try your cues to see if I can. Thanks Jon!
Yes, I mean straighten it out. For me the tipping point has been thinking of it more as trying to meet my scaps below me, rather than trying to get over my scaps.
I don't think i generally feel my lower traps during a set, but when i stand up afterwards they let me know they've been worked. Given the weakness Coach identified on me at last seminar, i take this as a sign it's going where it should ![]()
Oh, jumping ahead some; this cue shift got me from straddle PPP+ to comfortable full lay reps without jumping off the floor. So i think the effort to get the most weight onto the hands as possible is a small but vital detail that a lot of people do automatically, some people need explicit cuing on to realise they aren't doing it, and just one single person beats their head against the wall until they learn it out of sheer bloody-mindedness ![]()
I tried that reverse leg raise cue and It did kind of work, I just don't feel like I'm raising my legs, I feel more like this video, plus straightening the upper back, which I left out of the vid. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I can feel my lower traps activated very strongly doing it, which I think is a good sign.
I can't view your video just right now, i will check it when i get back, but just disclaimer for anyone else, thinking of the RLL to brace your upper body is not something you want to have in mind from day one; this is to address specifically the lack of lower traps activation and is only productive when you have your lean/protraction nice and established as Jason has. If you don't have these bits you will spin your wheels, arch your back, lose ppt.... a planche is leaned into until the (weightless) toes can be lifted, not lifted into.
From the sounds of it you are starting to feel the same thing i did, with the traps burn. Now drill with volume until adaptation, and take care to maintain that form via mirror or videoing self, so that you don't cheat it by getting 'over the top of it' or losing your protraction / ppt