This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

kman's training

Started by kman1, October 20, 2009 · 53 Replies · 2,766 Views

Blairbob

When you do them on the elbows you make the lever so damn short, it's not worth bothering.

You should not do wall runs until you can do a stomach to wall wrist HS.

Stomach to wall HS before back to wall because in back to wall HS, you have to kick and unless you are strong and tight enough in a wall HS, you will rebound off the wall and crash on your head.

Simple solution for wall HS is not go any higher than you can handle.

Back to wall HS wall runs are tougher than stomach to wall if there is an angle in your shoulders (flexion).

One of these days, you will learn to build your wrists slowly or you'll never get anywhere.

It would better for you to train Headstand than elbow HS.

kman1
When you do them on the elbows you make the lever so damn short, it's not worth bothering.

lever? huh?? I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention "lever being short". :?:

You should not do wall runs until you can do a stomach to wall wrist HS.

I can do them. The problem is that my wrists aren't strong enough yet, that's all.

Stomach to wall HS before back to wall because in back to wall HS, you have to kick and unless you are strong and tight enough in a wall HS, you will rebound off the wall and crash on your head.

I have never ever crashed on my head in an attempt to do the back to wall HS but maybe that's just me. Or more likely I'm probably doing them incorrectly but who knows. :mrgreen: I should post a vid of my training. (if I acquire a camcorder, I'll do just that)

Simple solution for wall HS is not go any higher than you can handle.

either you are referring to the time while in the HS hold or you are referring to the angle one is in while in the HS hold position. but which one???.....

Back to wall HS wall runs are tougher than stomach to wall if there is an angle in your shoulders (flexion).

I just noticed this when I read your message. you are very correct. BUT the opposite is also true. If there NO angle in your shoulders then stomach to wall HS is tougher and much more dangerous. With that said, I still think learning the back to wall HS first the way to go. (but i'm just a beginner so I'm going totally off of how I feel in both positions...) If you crash in the back to wall HS then at least there is a door in front of you to sort of catch you and slow down your downward descent (crash). On the other hand, if you crash in a stomach to wall HS, there is nothing there for anything but thin air. (unless you get someone to help you of course.)

One of these days, you will learn to build your wrists slowly or you'll never get anywhere.

Well, I am trying. :( I do feel I'm getting a bit stronger maybe but you're right about my wrists. I haven't been able to use them for something like the last 5-6 days straight. :evil:

It would better for you to train Headstand than elbow HS.

I love your ideas!! Keep them coming! I will implement headstand work into my training starting tomorrow. My ultimate goal, sir? 10 min. ? more?

John Sapinoso

"lever? huh?? I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention "lever being short""

It would be the equivalent idea of working iron crosses hanging at your armpits instead of your hands. The lever meaning the span between your point of support on the floor (elbow) and the shoulder joint. The lever is too short and your advantage too great to benefit strengthening your shoulders, although it might convey some crossover in the balance department.

Headstands are better for you. If you are really set on working the handstand but want to give your wrists a break, one thing I've seen the girls team do as finishers that you may want to experiment with are releve walks with arms extended up, shoulders shrugged, holding dumbbells. I'd say stick with the headstands for now though.

kman1
The lever is too short and your advantage too great to benefit strengthening your shoulders

but I still feel it in my shoulders... I can still only do a 60 sec. hold currently and that is only the first time I attempt it everyday. (the 1st rep) After the first rep, I can only stay in the hold for 20 sec or 30 sec, it varies since my shoulder, rotator cuffs get tired and fatigued. I always stop when I feel like my rotator cuffs are going to dislocate themselves. I rest a bit then start again usually.

Also, I think I will work on the front bridge and back bridge until my necks muscles are strong enough to do headstand training. Good idea or should I just work all three at one time? I am just scared of hurting my neck if I do headstands now...

Blairbob

I begin teaching the headstand with the feet never leaving the floor. Put the head on the floor but ball of feet are still on floor with butt as high as possible. There is pressure on the head but not as much. You can also play with just using one hand.

One of my boys, who is one of my weakest is well known for his ability to dominate in wall HS because his shoulders are very flexible. He feels nothing doing wall slides done correctly. He can dislocate an inlocate with a piece of pvc at near shoulder width distance or do it from a hang.

While he is small, he is not stronger than some other boys his size who do not have as good of shoulder flexibility.

kman1

10/31/09

elbow back to wall HS hold (2 reps)

3 door pullups

15 sec. door pullup hang holding onto the towel instead of the door (1 rep)

20 sec. front bridge (1 rep)

20 sec. back bridge (1 rep)

7 sec. wall headstand (1 rep)

1. 50 kicks in each direction [1. front (both legs), 2. back (both legs), and 3. side (both legs)]

again, another lazy day. :oops: My gosh-darn Wii is taking up a lot of my time sporadically! I must have spent like 4-5 hours playing PES 09 (soccer) on my Wii. That and DDR are about the only games I play because I get strategy ideas from PES and DDR is an okay workout. I also had to go down to Honolulu for the Halloween festivities here. Halloween is a big deal here in Hawai'i! Those guys whose costume is only their amazing bodies sure is reviving my motivation factor. I'm so jealous, whatever. :? But I digress, back to training now. :mrgreen:

kman1

On another note, I have decided to only use a bicycle as my only means of transportation. I want this and also it was kinda forced on me. hehe. Last week, I was driving the wheel on the driver side nearly came off! Good thing that I was very close to home so I just barely made it home. They will tow my car to the junkyard soon. My plan is to try and bike 45-50 miles a day, swim 1000 yards, run maybe 5-6 miles, and then play some soccer. I will try to do this everyday. Of course, my body will have to build up to this but that is the plan. I'm not sure if I should even be discussing this here but I thought that I should since there is always excellent advice given here concerning my gymnastics training and this extra training is sure to have an effect on my current gymnastics self-training. If not, then sorry. :)

P.S. - You might be saying, "why 50 miles a day?" this is because the closest place to my home to play pickup soccer is nearly 22 miles away. I worship soccer so I will go the distance to play it with others.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA if you do that every day you will not be able to progress with your gymnastics. Trust me, I was at BUD/S for 5.5 months. You will simply be undergoing completely opposite adaptations. The biking isn't that big of a deal, but it's too much swimming and running. 2-3 times a week wouldn't be as bad.

kman1

well, i'm going to build up to it. Not all at once. I tried to run 5 miles barefoot at the track on Pearl Harbor, and I finished it but my knees were shot. What I plan on doing is stopping once I feel the pain start to increase in my legs. Eventually the pain will start to come at later periods in my running as I progress with the training. (at the 3 mi. mark then 4 mi. mark etc.) You know, the weird thing is I know that you are correct about the running because I have tried it before a long time ago and I had to build up to it BUT I also use to play pickup soccer almost everyday and I had absolutely no problems at all for the most part. And you know it is said that soccer plays run between 7-9 mi. in 90 min. match. We use to play for about 1 hour and 45 min. or 2 hours. Could it be the mind then? I do enjoy pure running but soccer is much much more enjoyable and maybe the adrenaline/exhilaration of playing soccer blocks the pain....? Who knows... :)

Blairbob

Soccer and cycling are 2 of the sports I almost hate as much as cross country. Ok, I actually like to play soccer but not at the expense of gymnastics.

Everyday, wtf are you interested in IronMan or something.

Gymnastics at least can be used for strength work.

John Sapinoso

If you insist on doing all of this everyday, you will need to consume a lot of daily calories, otherwise you will be exhausted all the time and risk injury.

kman1
Soccer and cycling are 2 of the sports I almost hate as much as cross country.

:o :O :o I will pretend I didn't hear that. ;)

Everyday, wtf are you interested in IronMan or something.

Persistence hunting, my friend. One day, I will be that good. I have plenty of ideas floating around in my head. :idea:

If you insist on doing all of this everyday, you will need to consume a lot of daily calories, otherwise you will be exhausted all the time and risk injury.

True! Maybe I'll get on the 10,000 calories a day Micheal Phelps diet. :mrgreen:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7562840.stm

Joshua Naterman

Lol, you really should look at what your body will need and see if you can afford to eat that much!!! :D

kman1

yes! that's a good point because ts00nami mentioned being tired all the time and consuming a buttload of calories. Well, when I exercise a ton I naturally feel tired afterwards but oftentimes I do NOT feel hungry. I don't even want to eat. Usually I just want to stretch and rest. So, that is a good point you make slizzardman about ascertaining if your body wants/needs that much food intake. Even if one exercises a ton like Micheal Phelps you may not have to eat anywhere near as much as he does and you still can perform well. One must listen to his body and act accordingly. Don't force feed yourself, If you feel hungry, eat. I like that. 8)

Gregor

If you belive in his 10 000 calories a day :cry:

That is a complete b*** sh**. Ok I can go for 10 000 one day on eating bachlava or something simmilar but he is not using it on a regular basis, maybe once a year when he is not training. He consume aprox. 4 000 maybe but far from 10 K.

Joshua Naterman

Don't be too surprised if he does do it every day, I ate 9-12,000 a day for 5 months while I was at BUD/S (Navy Seal training). If I didn't I wouldn't have been able to keep going at the extreme rate we worked there, and from what I understand about Phelp's training he works pretty damn hard.

But, who knows :)

kman1
Don't be too surprised if he does do it every day

I'm with you here all the way. I mean, he does have like EIGHT gold medals. it's amazing how good and fast he is.

kman1

11/1/09

elbow back to wall HS hold (4 reps)

10 door pullups

30 sec. door pullup hang holding onto the towel instead of the door (1 rep)

20 sec. front bridge (1 rep)

20 sec. back bridge (1 rep)

10 sec. wall headstand (1 rep)

60 standard finger pushups

1. 50 kicks in each direction [1. front (both legs), 2. back (both legs), and 3. side (both legs)]

Gregor

eight gold medals does not tell anything...He is defenitly good, no doubt, but I still think it's a b*** S***...

Sorry for off topic.

kman1

11/2/09

elbow back to wall HS hold (4 reps)

1 door pullups

30 sec. door pullup hang holding onto the towel instead of the door (1 rep)

10 standard finger pushups

1. 50 kicks in each direction [1. front (both legs), 2. back (both legs), and 3. side (both legs)]

So, my throat is killing me this morning. I do not eat sweets, junk food, etc. but yesterday I wanted to try a very small piece of candy that my gf bought. Bad idea! My throat is so swollen that I can barely breathe right now. I'm not sure what to do or if it will get better on it own but I drank 2 cups of echinacea tea to help along with peanut butter on wheat toast. This sucks big time! :(

kman1

11/3/09

30 sec. door pullup hang holding onto the towel instead of the door (1 rep)

Feeling like crap because of this sore throat. Not able to do any exercise. This sucks!

11/4/09

same thing as above, no exercise since I still feel very sick. my throat seems to be getting better albeit very slowly. Now I also have runny nose and my muscles are very stiff and ache. I believe this is because I have been drinking almost no water. I should but everytime I try to swallow my throat is in a lot of pain. The lack of fluids seems to causing my muscles pain.

kman1

11/5/09 & 11/6/09

didn't do anything because I felt like total crap with the cold I had.

11/7/09

Alright! finally this cold is 90% over!! yay!! I still have a bit of a cough and my throat is still feels a bit itchy and seems like it could revert to 'sore throat' status at any time. So, whatever. Anyway, I started back exercising today.

Running - ran for 15 min. , practiced soccer for a while also

20 standard finger pushups

I planned on doing much more than this but my bones, muscles feel sooo weird and achy. I have some ideas why I'm feeling this way but.... maybe it's because I am getting over this cold. I took it slow and hopefully as soon as I feel 100% I will go back at it full throttle. :)

kman1

11/8/09

20 finger pushups

2 door pullups

60 sec. elbow handstand (1 rep)

11/9/09 & 11/10/09

I was busy and don't remember what I did but I know I did at least one 30 sec. elbow handstand rep.

11/12/09

20 finger pushups

3 door pullups

70 sec. elbow handstand (1 rep)

played DDR HP3 for about 20 min. on expert level

played hackey sack for about 15 min.

well, my cold is 100% gone and I am back to my normal self now. My training is being side-tracked by my studies. you know, I think it's not my wrists that are hurting now since I haven't used them for so long but it is a sharp pain in my palm that I feel. Not sure how to get rid of it but I just keep letting it rest until hopefully it gets stronger. :S

kman1

11/13/09

played DDR for about 4 hours (it was mixed expert, basic, and difficult levels)

played frisbee for 20 min. (until it hit this ladies window twice. that was the end of that thereafter hehe)

5 door pullups

60 sec. elbow handstand (1 rep)

5 wall runs

20 standard finger pushups

playing DDR on expert really is a workout!

John Sapinoso
kman1 said:

playing DDR on expert really is a workout!

very true.

i tried one song on beginner on my hands, it was . . . entertaining