This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1 + IM form check

Started by traweaver, February 4, 2016 · 13 Replies · 163 Views

traweaver

Looking for feedback on my form for both the stregnth and mobility. I feel pretty solid about the tripod, but I am wondering if the way I am raising my shoulders in the IM is correct. I know you can't really see my lean from this angle but is the raise and width of arms correct?

Thanks so much for viewing!

Tracey

traweaver

Having trouble uploading files. Too big?

Giovanni Garcea

Youtube?

Cole Dano

Please don't upload video files, use YouTube or another service instead. When videos are uploaded they have to be downloaded to be viewed.

 

     How to Post a Form Check    

Alessandro Mainente

Side view of IM is necessary for evaluation.

traweaver

Thanks for the speedy response Alessandro!

 

I thought that may be the case to show the lean...but I am most concerned with how I raise my shoulders and width of my hands.  

I promise to post a side view too.

 

Thank you!

Giovanni Garcea

My understanding is that you are not supposed to dislocate/rotate your shoulders and so your hands' width has to be narrower.

traweaver

Hi Giovanni,

 

This is the info from scap position sticky at the top of the forum...

 

 

"Freestanding Handstand - Mobility :

 
- HS/PE1-3>iM : elevated and protracted. These are shoulder flexion exercises thus do NOT retract your scapula !"

 

 

So I should have my scaps elevated and protracted but only go to the point so that "turnover" doesn't happen to get my head through?

 

Thanks to anyone for clarifying. :-)  

Cole Dano
traweaver said:

 

So I should have my scaps elevated and protracted but only go to the point so that "turnover" doesn't happen to get my head through?

 

 

 

Right, There are later drills that work with the dislocate movement, but for this iM it's very important not to dislocate. Rather work the upper trap by bringing the anterior deltoids to the ears and the middle trap by leaning forward.

 

It looks like you need to put a little weight on the bar as well.

 

On the tripod itself, you could be more actively pressing your hands into the floor, which will activate your shoulders more. Th shoulders will wind up being a bit higher from the floor. Doing this now will better prepare you for the next 2 elements. 

traweaver

Thanks so much Cole. That makes sense now. Here is a side angle without dislocating.  And this is a trainer bar weighing 10 pounds.  Is that heavy enough for me? (5'2 - 115#)


https://youtu.be/N37Wlp3lkF4


Hopefully this is good and I just have to work on getting my hands closer together. It is hard to get my hands closer together in the first round and can creep them closer and closer with each round. I believe another 4 week cycle working on this and the tips for tripod is needed.

Do you suggest 3 weeks at the rep scheme for week 11 and then a deload or start again from week 9 and work through until 12?

Cole Dano

That's much better; honestly I wouldn't get too hung up on this element in your case. If you feel the need for 4 more weeks on the PE than go for it, your call as how to approach it, either way will be fine.

 

Your shoulder mobility looks good. There are two variations on the iM you are doing the first one quite well, as in demoed in the course video.  As the hands get closer to shoulder width that bar won't go as far back, and in this 2nd variation the goal would be shoulders at the ears, i.e. arms in line with the body. The lean will really start to load your middle traps as you struggle to hold the bar in line with your body when it is off center like this.

traweaver

Thanks so much Cole!  Woot Woot! I am going to work one more week on this in deload week, and then move on to headstand.  I can apply the tips you gave me for tripod there and work my way through a solid 6-12 weeks of HS/PE2 & HS/PE2>iM depending on where i feel I need to start and how I progress.  

 

Is a ten pound bar good for me to work the iM's?