Start with F1 or F2

Started by AyoubR, January 25, 2016 · 12 Replies · 4,596 Views

AyoubR

Hello,

 

First of all sorry for my bad English,

I am a new member and I don't know what would be better for me, purchasing F1 or F2.

I am only seventeen so I can't order online without permission from my parents. And they say that 80dollars is too much for an online course. So I wouldn't be able to buy both, It's already difficult to convince them to but one.

 

The reason why I am thinking about buying F2 is that I already have a decent level:

 

I already can do:

 

Sets of 5 pistol squats. ( Can do more then 5, but 5 is with perfect form )

1 minute L-sit ( Never tried more )

20 clean pull-ups.

60 seconds tucked FL without any problem

40 seconds 90 degrees tuck FL ( flat back ).

10 seconds tuck planche ( with protraction, I can hold it longer without protraction but we don't care about that )

40 seconds Freestanding handstand ( Still have to fix my alignment )

...

 

What do you think?

 

Sorry again for my mistakes, English is not my native language...

 

Regards

 

Ayoub

 

chosschronicles

I am an extremely new member to the GB community. But I like yourself considered myself to have a "decent base". I just started doing F1 and have quickly found with the correct movement even through the first set of workouts I am at most capable of doing block 3 of each workout (and thats not to mastery). I have been 17 and full of confidence and feeling strong. But now at the meager age of 24 I see my training as something much more long term and sustainable. 

 

Being able to have healthy mobile extremities will be something you'll come to value if you get older and have limited range of motion due to improper balances.

Joshua Slocum

Start with F1. The program lets you skip any elements that you can demonstrate you've already mastered. 

kesevar

Do you have any specific goals? Maybe it's better to compare them with what you can achieve using F1.

 

 

 

40 seconds Freestanding handstand ( Still have to fix my alignment )

For example, to improve your handstand you will have to buy another course (Handstand 1).

J0X
AyoubR said:

Hello,

 

First of all sorry for my bad English,

I am a new member and I don't know what would be better for me, purchasing F1 or F2.

I am only seventeen so I can't order online without permission from my parents. And they say that 80dollars is too much for an online course. So I wouldn't be able to buy both, It's already difficult to convince them to but one.

 

The reason why I am thinking about buying F2 is that I already have a decent level:

 

I already can do:

 

Sets of 5 pistol squats. ( Can do more then 5, but 5 is with perfect form )

1 minute L-sit ( Never tried more )

20 clean pull-ups.

60 seconds tucked FL without any problem

40 seconds 90 degrees tuck FL ( flat back ).

10 seconds tuck planche ( with protraction, I can hold it longer without protraction but we don't care about that )

40 seconds Freestanding handstand ( Still have to fix my alignment )

...

 

What do you think?

 

Sorry again for my mistakes, English is not my native language...

 

Regards

 

Ayoub

Depends on your mobility and quality of movement. I was stronger than you when I started. The whole point of F1 is to prepare and mobilize properly. And especially for stronger people, this is where you typically lack. If you jump right into F2/F3 you will most likely plateau hard if not prepared properly. Best of luck

Mats Trane

Start with F1. You will find weaknesses.

Eva Jou

Beginning.

I understand that if your strength is at a higher level than your mobility, you should do the "easier" strength exercise that corresponds with the integrated mobility level that you're at until iM mastery is reached since mobility is often the limiter to progress and safety. Makes sense.

 

How about the other way around? My integrated flexibility level is considerably more developed than my strength. For instance, I just started with F1, PE1 and in reviewing the course content, I realized that I can easily do mobility from F2. 

 

Can one do Strength from F1 and Mobility from F2, F3 when strength is clearly what's lacking. Coaches, is this the thinking?

 

I don't mind starting at the beginning, as that is usually the most efficient way. I know I need to increase my strength work capacity gradually so I'm happy to be in the trenches building my strength to mastery however long it takes. But do I have to "sacrifice" my current iM level because my strength is lagging behind (relative to my mobility).

 

My concern is that I've spent about 2 yrs working on bridging, pancakes, front/middle splits… and I don't want to lose the mobility level I've worked so hard to maintain by having to regress to less complex iM elements as I have a feeling the strength progressions are going to keep me busy for years to come :)

 

My intent is to focus on the GST curriculum in the most efficient manner. I have spent time reading the forum and the materials trying to understand the system because I like to start with the big picture in mind. 

 

Coaches, thank you for your advice in advance!

vinca_minor

During your working sets, yes, stay at the mobility that corresponds with your strength level. Post F/H workout, feel free to play with more advanced exercises in a non structured way, or work to maintain your current flexibility. Injury prevention potential is highest when your strength and flexibility are not out of balance.

Coach Sommer
Eva Jou said:

 

... I understand that if your strength is at a higher level than your mobility, you should do the "easier" strength exercise that corresponds with the integrated mobility level that you're at until iM mastery is reached since mobility is often the limiter to progress and safety. Makes sense ... How about the other way around? ...

 

 

Depends on whether or not you can keep first things first and keep the main emphasis in your workouts on getting your strength caught up.

 

Complete the workouts as structured with the paired PEs and iMs.  If at the end of the workout you would like to do additional mobility work, that is fine.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Eva Jou

First things first. Thank you Coach Sommer. 


 


I’m beginning to understand that Foundations, not only comes first, but it’s like a “plugin" designed to work only as structured. Without it, other attributes cannot be build properly, much less last. I’ve never encountered a coach who has organized and displayed SUCH an encyclopedia of knowledge upfront in one place! This may be one of the exceptions to “this is too good to be true.” 


 


I’m at the stage of my program design, taking notes and seeing how all the pieces are going to fit together. I now get that I can simultaneously train HS and/or mobility specific pre-requisites on separate days/times. Integrated into my program but not mixed. 


 


Handstands 4-6 days/week?


Any contra-indications or rehab module for elbow tendinitis? 


 


I’ve used the search function in the forum but can’t find any threads. My take is that it’s coming from weakness (scapulae strength deficit and 3D instability), past overuse, and the result of taking 3-6-12 months breaks and repeatedly re-starting my training trying to get back where I left it. Structurally, I have hyper extended elbows, which doesn’t help either.


 


Context:


 


My priority is working on my physical weakness (strength and mobility restrictions) so I can acquire new movement skills without further breaking down my body in the process. I’m in “repair, calibrate and strengthen" mode. BALANCE is my guiding principle. I want a pain-free, capable, balanced body that can move with control and grace, and gradually evolve the complexity of my movement skills. 


 


In the past, I’ve worked with coaches who pushed me to train moves that, 20/20, my connective tissues weren’t prepared to handle (the loads). Now I’m have R medial elbow tendinitis, which has been chronic on and off since the last 3-4 years. Sitting at my computer is an aggravating factor. Also old hip labrum tears, no R PCL, etc., so I want to proceed with caution. I even developed a 2 cm loose body in my “good” L elbow, which had to be surgically removed last summer and I’m not a gymnast! 


 


The point I’m getting at is that I’m happy to be here. I view my injuries as my responsibility and gift since they’ve lead me to study the human body-mind on my own. I’m a hard worker and I'm not in a rush. I think I finally found a coach who can do the thinking and guide me in my journey, safely. 


 


Respectfully,


Eva


Jon Douglas

You're gonna do well here.

Eva Jou
Jon Douglas said:

You're gonna do well here.

Thanks Jon for your encouragement. I have an interesting baggage of past injuries that are lurking around, but NOT stopping me, so we shall see! I just came across this quote from coach Sommer (from Vanybute post) and now I see what you meant. The sky is the limit.

"I never presuppose how far someone can or cannot go. I always assume that they are going to achieve excellence. As a consequence of this attitude, I always start everyone from the beginning and then require them to carefully and progressively work their way through my system. How far they progress will largely be a measure of how badly they want it. Those who insist of being 'entertained' will only make marginal progress. However for those who are not afraid of some hard work and monotony - the sky is the limit." – Coach Sommer

proclus

Definitely f1. Don t do the same mistakes that cause injuries