Introduction

Started by Mitchel, October 16, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,384 Views

Mitchel

Hello. My name is Mitch.

I pretty much suck at any and all of this type of thing. My flexibility is poor, I'm graceless, and my bodyweight to strength ratio sucks. For a long time I was into lifting weights, and my max deadlift was 427 and a half pounds, at a bodyweight of 212 or so. Well above the average joe, but still poor in the scheme of things.

I'm discovering this ring / gymnastic thing, and I like the concept that it paints. Strength and flexibility in one discipline, and more important, it is a skill. Lifting weight is not a skill. You lift with the goal to lift more, and yes, there are some impressive strong mo-fo's out there. But the exercises themselves can be done by a novice - just with less of a load.

Gymnastics on the other hand, is a skill because it demands strength, balance, technique, and the movements can't just be learned mechanically... they have to be earned progressively. It's a skill. To me that is awesome because anyone can do a bench press, but many fewer can execute a maltese. You get what I'm saying?

I want to feel that relaxed feeling that comes with flexibility and grace, but still get that muscle stim from high tension contraction. So I think this might be a good direction for me. I know it isn't like I have to choose one or the other, but I'd just assume gear it towards gymnastic - type stuff due to it being more convenient and not having to go to the gym since I recieved my new rings from Coach Sommer.

I don't post a lot, mostly I just read. But I thought I should introduce myself anyway.

Felipe

Hi Mitch, welcome to this board.

My 2 cents for you:

1) What about your bodyfat? If it is more than 10%, you should work to reduce it. In gymnastics power to weight ratio its very important.

2) You seem strong! It will help you alot, you should progress faster than the average joe :D

3) Rings are hard, start working on simpler things and do some floor training (HS, L-sit, pushups and so on)

It is true, gymnastics is the best sport for coordination and body-mind connection. But it is because of that it's so hard!

Remember to watch the gymnastics worlds on the TV!

Mitchel
Felipe said:
Hi Mitch, welcome to this board.

My 2 cents for you:

1) What about your bodyfat? If it is more than 10%, you should work to reduce it. In gymnastics power to weight ratio its very important.

2) You seem strong! It will help you alot, you should progress faster than the average joe :D

3) Rings are hard, start working on simpler things and do some floor training (HS, L-sit, pushups and so on)

It is true, gymnastics is the best sport for coordination and body-mind connection. But it is because of that it's so hard!

Remember to watch the gymnastics worlds on the TV!

Hey Felipe,

I told you I don't post that much... maybe I'll have to make a habit of checking the board regularly. Anyway, as far as your questions and comments;

1) My bodyfat % is higher than it should be, that's for sure. I don't know what it is exactly, but I'm around 212, and I'dlike to be 185, which I think is realistic. That's a difference of 27 lbs. That's like 13% of my bodyweight lost. Does that mean I have 13% bodyfat? I don't know. I'm sure I won't get to 0% - and I'm sure one wouldn't want to either. Suppose 8% is lean and healthy. Add that 8 to the 13 I want to lose, and maybe I'm at 21% bodyfat. You know, I have no idea what I'm talking about here, I'm just brainstorming.

2 & 3) Thanks, and yes, rings are hard. The balance / fine control element of them seems hardest of all. I am having a hard time right now reconciling my training modality with my goals.