Crossfitter taking a giant step back

Started by TMestas, January 19, 2016 · 8 Replies · 3,583 Views

TMestas

24 year old female, been Crossfitting for 2.5 years now (competitive/collegiate soccer player by trade). Never lifted a weight for upper body prior to beginning Crossfit. Am now very competitive in the sport but am seeing some major setbacks due to my gymnastics insufficiencies. I have failed to learn proper technique/movement patterns and jumped straight to advanced movements (MU's, CTB, HSPU etc) using pure momentum to achieve them. I know it's wrong, I've got to put in my time learning the foundations and technique just as I did with soccer. I'm taking a giant step backwards and realize I need to start fresh before I get injured...

 

Basically I need some direction as to which program I should start with. After an intense Superfit competition this past weekend I realized the only thing setting me apart from the top regional competitors there (all former gymnasts...) is my lack of gymnastic skills. Someone please help!!!!

Giovanni Garcea

This is the fundamental post:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12862-the-gymnasticbodies-roadmap-and-curriculum/

 

As you can see the starting courses are Foundation 1, Handstand 1 & 2, Stretch Courses and Movement 1.

A wise initial investment, in my opinion, is the starter pack (Foundation 1 and Handstand 1 bundle). Depending on your flexibility limitation you might want to add the stretch courses sooner rather than later.

 

Don't hesitate, just start, it takes a while to understand the depth of this curriculum, so it is best to just start doing it and learn the details as you go.

Jon Douglas
TMestas said:

, I've got to put in my time learning the foundations and technique

Keep that in mind, start at the bottom with Foundation 1, and build up a strong base of body shape :)

 

The starter park (combo F1 + H1) is your best bet at this stage; I'd also recommend off the bat as a Crossfitter you double the mobility work involved in H1 :)

Mike_B

I'm a 30 year old male, who is nowhere near being a competitive Crossfitter, but I started GB because I was coming up against injuries and mobility issues (I don't have a significant sport or athletic background, other than recreational ice hockey).

I'm on F1, H1 & 2, and the two stretch courses (started Front split, going to get going with middle split in a couple of weeks).

 

Several things have improved noticeably for me since I started GB six months ago:

 

  • Quality of movement - I'm finding that I notice more details about movements than I did before (general proprioception has improved). 

 

  • Attitude to training with respect to quality of technique and timeframe for improvement - I've learned some basic ideas about joint preparation and recovery that I didn't' know, that's made me look differently at Oly lifting and Crossfit (as in, over the longer term and not rushing things).  I stopped kipping completely because I was getting shoulder issues - I recently went back to a WOD with kipping pullups in it, and found that I no longer had those issues.  The pullups feel different, because I'm coming off the bar before exhaustion forces me into bad technique (i.e. coming down hard on the shoulder joint at the bottom of the negative), and I'm prioritising protection of the shoulder (doing only what I can handle and building up slowly).  Coach Sommer did a Barbell Shrugged podcast a while back (link below) that sold me on GB - this may likely be relevant to your post.

  • Flexibility and mobility - I'm finding that, for example, even though i haven't been doing the Front split all that long, it is already noticable in Olympic lifting.  Last Friday evening did FS after a GB session, then trained snatch on Saturday afternoon, and I could feel the difference in getting my glutes closer to my heels on the overhead squat (and it just felt smoother in general).

The coaches at my box have been really supportive of and encouraging of my involvement in GB, and I get no complaints (yet) when I commandeer barbells to build stall bar replacements 

 

Best of luck! :)

Mark Collins

Firstly start at Foundation and H1. Next incorporate stretch series. For the icing on the cake add Tumbling one.

Like you my gymnastics was terrible in Crossfit. I am now in F2-3 and still consider myself a beginner in gymnastic strength and mobilty. However my Crossfit friends think that is my strongest area. When I say I am stiff and weak they laugh at me.

traweaver

Hey there!

 

I am in your boat.  I am about 20 years older than you but we sound similar in our CF experiences.  I have been at CF for a bit over 3 years and have done pretty well at it.  I, too, have seen that I rely on coordination and my gymnastic ability to achieve certain skills... like can kip HSPU but can't do a single strict.  My last year in CF I have been working on strict elements... but I knew for true growth in the sport I needed to back up even more.  I need raw strength and I believe here is where I will get it.

 

I am on week 4 of GB.  I bought Foundations 1 and Handstand 1 package and all three stretch courses (holy hell we need them!).  It has been a tough pill to swallow, as now when I WOD i use only 50-65% of my maxes.  Otherwise you are skirting with disaster going full throttle on both of them.  I have been advised to put CF aside while I tackle GB, but I just can't.  It drives me and it is the whole reason I am doing GB is to become a better at CF.

 

I am enjoying it but this program is humbling to say the least. It is hard and I work the program at home where it is quiet.  You really need to put your mind into this program too.  It is very calculated and mastery of elements is not given out unless you are truly a master at the skill.  Coaches here have no problem telling you... "that isn't right" haha  Seriously ... it is what I need to hear!   I am making Gainzzz.... just not weight on the barbell. ;-) 

 

Curious to see if you did indeed take the plunge!  Stay in touch!!

Claudia Litschauer
On 7 Feb 2016 at 10:18 AM, Tracey Weaver said:

I am on week 4 of GB.  I bought Foundations 1 and Handstand 1 package and all three stretch courses (holy hell we need them!).  It has been a tough pill to swallow, as now when I WOD i use only 50-65% of my maxes.  Otherwise you are skirting with disaster going full throttle on both of them.  I have been advised to put CF aside while I tackle GB, but I just can't.  It drives me and it is the whole reason I am doing GB is to become a better at CF.

 

Hi Tracey, 

I am just trying to fit foundation 1 into my crossfit schedule :D and I am thinking about the stretching courses too. It is written, that one stretch course takes 45 minutes and it should be done once a week. So are you doing all 3 a 45 minutes every week? or is it all together 45 minutes? Just trying to figure out what to buy and how that will work (as I have to go to work 40hrs a week besides training :-)) .

Thank you in advance!

Claudia

Travis Widmann

Each stretch course takes roughly 45 minutes. Three courses means a total of about 2 hours 15 minutes each week. It is a time commitment, but it will make you flexible. An alternative that some people follow is training two courses a week so that each course is trained twice in a three week timeframe. Still effective, and a bit easier to schedule. Like this:

Week 1: FS, MS

Week 2: TB, FS

Week 3: MS, TB

John Crocker

As a fellow (former) Crossfitter I highly recommend you listen to the four interviews Coach Sommer did on Robb Wolfe's Paleo Solution podcast. It's a real eye opener. Especially how just being thrown into gymnastics movements without any preparation or progression can lead to injury.