What position should the pelvis be at when performing stretches...posterior tilt?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Pelvis positioining
Started by Henry Skinner, January 1, 2016 · 4 Replies · 182 Views
for hamstring / calve stretches you want to be bending the body forward so that means arching the back will tilt the pelvis forward (anterior pelvic tilt)
for quad stretches, you want to move body forward while the stretch leg stays behind and under the pelvis. you'll find that you need some posterior tilt of the pelvis or else there's little stretch in the quad and lots of arch in the lower back.
Thank you Keilani ![]()
So it's like this for hamstring and calve work:
(I am solid like a rock)

I can't even get to 90 degrees.
Found this post (https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/742-extremely-inflexible-in-lower-backhamstrings/) from 2009. By following Coach's advice I hope to see some improvement.
Coach Sommer said:Jefferson Curls are an excellent addition to Weighted Pike Stretches. They may either be worked separately or you could use the Jefferson Curl during the ascent/descent of the Weighted Pike Stretch.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
A couple of questions:
- I have full access to F1 and wondered if it would be beneficial to add in some pike leans?
- Stretches should be performed hard once a week, but we are encouraged to explore and limber almost every day. To this effect I am performing sun salutations and mastered unweighted iMs daily. Is this sufficient?
- Can I train weighted pike stretches daily or is this going too far?
- I have purchased all stretch courses. Given the rock like nature of my hamstrings I will need to elevate my hips in order to attain correct positioning for many of the stretches. Am I right in thinking focus should be on maintaining an arched back until I can pass 90 degrees and sit on the floor, using straps as required to increase intensity?
the short answer is keep stretching true, better to feel a stretch than to give illusion of ROM. so just scale accordingly and if you plateau take pictures and ask for help on the forum.
until such an event occurs, stretch safely, thoroughly maybe keep some notes to measure progress. ![]()