extremely inflexible in lower back/hamstrings

Started by twan, September 30, 2008 · 6 Replies · 15,324 Views

twan

Hi everyone,

I have a huge flexibility problem in my lower back/hamstrings. I cannot even sit on the floor with my legs straight out and my back straight. How can I improve my flexibility (pike stretch,etc...) with this minimum kind of flexibility. I know Coach answered something like this in a previous topic and said something about weighted pikes, windmills, etc...

The biggest problem is that I don't completely understand it. Maybe someone has a video of it on youtube or something.

Could you just give me some tips that increased your lower back/hamstring flexibility fast?

thx in advance

griffdrc

i've had this problem... here are some things that helped me....

stretching several times a day

foam rollers are amazing

leg raises (trying to lift them as high as you can) on a dip bar

i also had to stay away from heavy lower body lifting like sqauts and deadlifts...

i use to not be able to sit up if my legs were out straight in front on me on the floor... i can now almost get my nose to knees and easily touch my toes...

it takes time... don't rush it but it can happen if you work at it...

George Launchbury

...However working on stiff-legged deadlifts, with the bias toward increasing ROM (rather than weight) and pausing at the lowest point would be beneficial. Use good form, as always.

George.

Blairbob

Actually, George I do that when I do Good Mornings for flexibility. I start off with 10 either weighted bar only or a stick up and down.

Then I hold at the bottom for this period in seconds and come up. Of course, I could probably throw out 10 and 20s periods and call it done and maybe go past 60-90s.

10s

15s

20s

30s

45s

sasquatch

Doing the weighted pike, or good morning stretches, are really helping me with my pike flexibility.

At first I never did them with weight because I thought I should learn it without it, but the weight actually makes it easier to get lower into the stretch.

Coach Sommer

Jefferson Curls are an excellent addition to Weighted Pike Stretches. They may either be worked separately or you could use the Jefferson Curl during the ascent/descent of the Weighted Pike Stretch.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer