What are some realistic new year goals for a newbie?

Started by vkv, December 31, 2015 · 6 Replies · 2,387 Views

vkv

Hi. Starting this new year, I wanted to focus on my fitness a bit more seriously.

 

I may not be fit, but I'm not obese either. I just don't put on fat. I can't afford the foundation series as of now, and considering my income right now, I don't think I'll be able to for the next few years. I can't afford BtGB either :( .

 

  • What are some realistic goals that you'd suggest a newbie like to start with?
  • What moves/exercises should I focus on 'mastering' (though the reps/sets might vary acc to the foundation series which AFAIK is kinda a tough one) by the end of a year?

 

Right now, I'm planning to follow along the Handstand Challenge in the facebook group.

 

My current strength level:

 

Push-Ups - 6,4,4.

Pull Ups - 0

Horizontal Rows - 2-3x3

V ups - 13,10,5 (just 3 sets)

Pistols (with light assistance to come up) - 1 or 2 max at a time.

Giovanni Garcea

I think the best goal you can have is to be able to look back and say that you trained consistently every week, that you made good nutritional choices most of the time and that you increased your knowledge of training and nutrition every single week.

In my opinion, the goal of being on the right path is way more important than a specific end goal in term of strength level or body composition in a set timeline, unless you have some competition in mind.

If at the end of each of the next 52 weeks you could always say that you didn't skip any workout and that you ate well, than you will achieve a lot.

vannybute

Maybe to complete F1/ half of F1?

Ryan Bailey

100 Hinge Rows

100 Push Ups (real ones)

In 10 minutes

Dylan Robertson

I'd say based off of others progress in 1 year you should be able to have a Full Pancake/Pike, Front/Middle Splits, and a Bridge. Strength wise, (considering hard work, and no skipped workouts), I'd say F2 level for FL, PE5+ for sPL, F2+ for SL, F2 for HBP, PE6 for RC (from which after mastery of this, rapid progress will be made), F2+ for Manna, and PE2 for Handstand (Shoulder Extension Holds are hard. Do them alongside PE1im, as the sooner you start these, the better. If you get past Shoulder Extension, then I'd say SE1 would be a good goal.

vkv
Ryan Bailey said:

100 Hinge Rows

100 Push Ups (real ones)

In 10 minutes

Wow. That's a serious one. Unless you're pulling my leg.

 

 

vannybute said:

Maybe to complete F1/ half of F1?

I can't afford it. I mentioned it earlier.

 

Dylan Robertson said:

I'd say based off of others progress in 1 year you should be able to have a Full Pancake/Pike, Front/Middle Splits, and a Bridge. Strength wise, (considering hard work, and no skipped workouts), I'd say F2 level for FL, PE5+ for sPL, F2+ for SL, F2 for HBP, PE6 for RC (from which after mastery of this, rapid progress will be made), F2+ for Manna, and PE2 for Handstand (Shoulder Extension Holds are hard. Do them alongside PE1im, as the sooner you start these, the better. If you get past Shoulder Extension, then I'd say SE1 would be a good goal.

I'm not exactly sure as to what the exercise levels you mean, but I'll try and figure it out. Thanks, these do look like solid things to aim for, I'll take a while before deciding on my goals. :)

 

 

Giovanni Garcea said:

I think the best goal you can have is to be able to look back and say that you trained consistently every week, that you made good nutritional choices most of the time and that you increased your knowledge of training and nutrition every single week.

In my opinion, the goal of being on the right path is way more important than a specific end goal in term of strength level or body composition in a set timeline, unless you have some competition in mind.

If at the end of each of the next 52 weeks you could always say that you didn't skip any workout and that you ate well, than you will achieve a lot.

This is actually wonderful advice. 52 weeks of continuous intelligent training. I'll keep consistency in mind. Make sure even if the workouts might be light/intense, I still work out for that particular week.

Erik Rissanen

Like Giovanni said, set your goal to train your best, rather than a specific result. Results can be hard to plan for, but if you trained your best, you know you will have made the best result you could. Also, keep it simple and not a major change. Changes in habits are easier to do gradually.