Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3B Scientific Eucalyptus Wood Stall Bar Review

Giovanni Garcea

Giovanni Garcea

Hi,

I thought it would be useful for other GBers if I gave a quick review of these Stall Bars I bought a couple of weeks back.

http://www.amazon.com/3B-Scientific-Eucalyptus-Wood-Stall/dp/B008N3I93Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450910633&sr=8-1&keywords=stall+bar

The coolest thing about this model is that it is the cheapest stall bar I could find and with Amazon prime it comes with free two day shipping.

DIY options are cheaper on paper, but as a father of two toddlers with a high pressure job, every waking hour I have is already accounted...

I wasn't ready to invest $400 or more in a stall bar, but $200 for the 3B model was acceptable.

In other threads some concerns about this specific model have been expressed:

• It doesn't have enough rungs: this model has 12 rungs, while most of the other ones that I see have 14 rungs. That means that the rungs are more spaced by 15%. It didn't seem a good enough reason not to buy it.
  • Eucaliptus is not the strongest wood: I weigh 66kg and if I pull really hard the dowels do flex a little bit. I don't think this will be a problem, unless I will need to do some very dynamic movements, like jumping on the rung with all my weight.
  • The offset rung is too far to be useful for leg raises: this is probably the biggest issue I see. Having said that, I convinced myself that, when time comes, I can easily and cheaply add another bar (something like a door bar) at the right offset.

All in all I'm very happy for now. I put it on last week and it made a night and day difference for the bridge stretch series and some other mobility elements here and there. It was definitely much better to get an affordable option now than waiting who knows how long before feeling comfortable in spending 2-3 times the amount for a higher end model.

P.S.: the mounting holes distance is slightly more than 16", but I was able anyway to secure it to two studs using 4" cabinet screws by carefully centering the holes. The overall assembly took me two hours without rushing.

• Upvote 3

Kevin Chaussee

I have the exact model. It works well. I fired some screws through the sides of each rung as I found them starting to rotate a bit. I weigh 72kg and I have had no problems with the slight give. I plan to modify the offset bar as well. All in all a nice piece of equipment!

Keep us posted on these, the reviews on Amazon vary, there may be some luck of the draw with the strength of the rungs. 

The spacing itself is no big deal, one of the top gymnastics companies sells stall bars with even fewer rungs. It's another thing to file under personal preference.

• Upvote 1

Giovanni Garcea

Keep us posted on these, the reviews on Amazon vary, there may be some luck of the draw with the strength of the rungs. 

The spacing itself is no big deal, one of the top gymnastics companies sells stall bars with even fewer rungs. It's another thing to file under personal preference.

I'll definitely post here if something breaks. I read carefully all the reviews before buying and I think that most of them have to do with not enough IKEA experience. Most of the reviewer with issues either sanded the rungs because of the tight fit or had the rings rotating immediately after assembly. They probably didn't tighten the screws enough using a power drill or didn't use a mallet to push the rungs in. There were a couple of breakage report that were more suspicious, though...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Giovanni Garcea

I confirm that the rungs rotate a little bit. Kevin, can you post a picture of how you added additional screws, just out of curiosity?

Kevin Chaussee

post-5681-0-20807500-1452365331_thumb.jp

post-5681-0-95646900-1452365331_thumb.jp

post-5681-0-68209500-1452365332_thumb.jp

A shot of the bottom an the top.  I think I used 2 1/2 inch screws on either side of each rung.  For the rungs with factory screws, I hammered a nail underneath to stabilize the rotation.  On the final picture, you will see I added a plate with screws to the top because it seemed a bit flimsy.  It is rock solid now!!  I hope this helps! Sorry about the rotation of the pictures, not sure how to correct that.

Kevin

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
Giovanni Garcea

Going strong with the one caveat of the rungs rotating a little bit. I got used to it and I haven't implemented the DIY fix for now. Stall bars are a great investment. They really change the quality of the training. Also I consider the back strap a must have.