Hi all.
I don't know if this was already asked but looking for planche or manna or whatsoever produces simply too many results to look over all of them ![]()
My question is just pure curiosity: which is the origin of skills name like front and back lever, planche, manna, etc??
I thought about that and I reached to some conclusions that I would like to confirm. More over I will make the comparison with how we call them in italy.
I know that english terms for FL, BL are respectively: hanging scale frontways and rearways. Apart that I cannot find front and rearways in wordreference either, anyway I got the meaning of it (are they synonim of front and rearward?). The name is pretty logic because it gives the idea of the position even if you don't know it. If I had to translate literally the italian original names, they would be "supine/prone horizontal suspension". Then, in calisthenic world we "imported" english terms of front and back lever, which make sense but they are less precise than they original name.
I would like to ask to whoever attend the gymnastic world, whether they knew when front and back lever names were born. Were they born in calisthenic world, or in gymnastic? Are they recent or not?
A different argument regards planche and manna. In the code of points they have a specific name, respectively support scale and V-sit with horizontal legs, and then their current name between brackets in bold. This is the way in which named elements ar written (for example cassina element, or rodriguez); moreover even in the italian code of points there is their specific named followed by planche and manna. So I thought that planche and manna are the names of whom executed them first in competition. Would this make sense? Same argumentation for maltese alias hirondelle?
EDIT: I've just found a very interesting comment under the manna video of GB:
Bob Manna was my teammate at UNM in 1968-69 He used to swing into this skill on the P-bars. Our coach, the legendary Rusty Mitchell, said something like, "You do that at nationals and I'll get it named after you . . " Imagine my surprise forty years later when I found out that Bob's name is a household word in gymnastic circles!