This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

lack of strength

Started by Jaromir Stopka, December 22, 2015 · 29 Replies · 986 Views

Jaromir Stopka

Hi,

I need advice.Now i am at stage of doing HS/PE12 and I am able to hold position for about 40-45 second.I got stucked in this for 4 weeks now and i am not able to move forward.I also returned just for fun to HS/PE11 and I found out that I can do also only about 45 second hold.Whats wrong?I must do something wrong but dont know what it is.Pls anyone help me.......thanks a lot :)

vinca_minor

You been digging into those Christmas treats?

Jaromir Stopka

?

Joshua Slocum

It's possible that your form has improved and as a result it is harder now. Or you may not be practicing frequently enough to progress on this positio. Or you might be lagging in other areas that need to catch up (are you working F1? How is that going?)

vannybute

You might want to do one mastery set of a previous exercise in the warmup to make sure you maintain previous mastery. Otherwise, if you are doing low rep/time work on a later element, you will probably lose strength. 

Alessandro Mainente

I would like to see a video to check your form.

Jaromir Stopka

ok guys..i will make some video and put it here. Answer to Joshua..yes i am doing F2 and F3.

Jaromir Stopka

hi....check out video of me and my friend.we have the same problem as i described above.You can see i am doing all that stuff on parralets because i have injured wrist and thats the only way to continue in training.So how do you find the video and what would you advice?Going back to previous exercise and mastered it again? Or anything else?

 

piotro

Both of you have very closed shoulder angle. You will be probably asked to show videos of the first progressions from the H1.

You also seem to have some shoulder or parralletes placement asymmetry and it would seem like you are bending elbows (but can't clearly see this from that video).

Also I'm not sure if the way how you place parrallets (I guess to simulate hand position like without them) is not excessively internally rotating your shoulders, I would stick to keeping parrallets angled as parallel bars would be.

Jaromir Stopka

if i keep parrallets angled as you suggest its almost imposible to lock elbows to me.I find it so hard then.I was doing well before my injury but now with parrallets its so so hard.But doctors dont know how to help me and training with parrallets is only way how i can stay in.And yes you are right because i feel during hand stand on them that my body is rotating a bit.

Dylan Robertson

As above user stated, You have very closed shoulders, which shouldn't be happening, given PE1-8 IM, and the mastery weight for that be 25lbs for each, go back to the beginning, and Focus on mobility.

Jaromir Stopka

PS:what do you mean by very closed shoulder angle?

Jaromir Stopka
Dylan Robertson said:

As above user stated, You have very closed shoulders, which shouldn't be happening, given PE1-8 IM, and the mastery weight for that be 25lbs for each, go back to the beginning, and Focus on mobility.

25 pounds ..really?We did it with just a few pounds

Dylan Robertson
Jaromir Stopka said:

25 pounds ..really?We did it with just a few pounds

Closed shoulder angle means your boy is not in alignment. You have a banana shape, when you should have a nice line from your toes to your wrist, with all the major bones stacked on top of each other. Because you do not have the mobility in your shoulders, it is making he handstand harder than it should be. Go back and focus on PE1-8IM, as well as RC & HBP IMs, and the TB Stretch course if you have it. and yes, you ahoulsnt move past PEIM2-8 until you have a weight that is approximately 10% your Bodyweight. I meant 15, but anywhere from 15-20 would be nice. Afterwards you should build up Shoulder Extension, Standing Over/UnderGrip dislocates and Prone Over/UnderGrip dislocates to 45lbs in your warmup.

piotro

Easiest to understand closed/open shoulder angle would be to look at this pic:

http://www.ringfraternity.com/images/tutorials/handstand/handstand1.jpg

 

Now, you see in your own video that your handstand at the moment is pretty bad (banana because you keep you keep your shoulders closed), continue training like this and as you can guess you will strengthen this ugly shape and it is unlikely it is going to fix itself, or start fixing it first rather than continuing with such bad shape, your choice :).

Jaromir Stopka

ok guys..now I see whats happening...thank you for your help....I will post new video when its fixed ;)

Ravn

Just adding to the above: Forget the handstand you have now, and focus on re-learning it.

You have to push and balance from the traps instead of the chest. This sensation is entirely different, and takes some time to learn...

Jaromir Stopka

ok maybe the best strategy to avoid such situations in future is to make and post video of every single mastery achievement.Simply check it out with forum members....because now i am kind of sad that I wasted so much time on bad form.

Micawberian
Dylan Robertson said:

As above user stated, You have very closed shoulders, which shouldn't be happening, given PE1-8 IM, and the mastery weight for that be 25lbs for each, go back to the beginning, and Focus on mobility.

The mastery weight is not 25 lbs or 10% of bodyweight. The recommendation is listed in the course portal as a minimum of 5 lbs (see notes under PE1-im).

 

25 lbs is overkill and is no way necessary for developing the required mobility. Building up eventually to 25 or 45 lbs is one thing, but achieving mastery so you can move to the next exercise is another thing.

 

Dylan Robertson
Micawberian said:

The mastery weight is not 25 lbs or 10% of bodyweight. The recommendation is listed in the course portal as a minimum of 5 lbs (see notes under PE1-im).

 

25 lbs is overkill and is no way necessary for developing the required mobility. Building up eventually to 25 or 45 lbs is one thing, but achieving mastery so you can move to the next exercise is another thing.

For PE1IM the mastery is 5lbs, but it had been stated by many high level guys here (way above you and I) that Shoulder Dislxostes and Extensions should be worked up to 10%bodyweigt before moving on to prevent injury and to gain strength in mobility

Micawberian
Dylan Robertson said:

For PE1IM the mastery is 5lbs, but it had been stated by many high level guys here (way above you and I) that Shoulder Dislxostes and Extensions should be worked up to 10%bodyweigt before moving on to prevent injury and to gain strength in mobility

I am on SE12 and I assure you that 5 lbs mastery was more than enough to move on. In any case my point here isn't to argue over mastery weights, but to point out that Jaromir Stojka's issue is not necessarily due to the bar weight.

I open my shoulders for my handstand sessions with a 3 lbs barbell. (150 lbs bodyweight). This is another case study in a fat-tailed scenario to show you that anecdote from the high level or low level carries no weight. Much the reason why coach sommer's opinion matters above anyone else's on this forum.

 

Jaromir, I would like to see a video of your PE1.

Jaromir Stopka
Micawberian said:

I am on SE12 and I assure you that 5 lbs mastery was more than enough to move on. In any case my point here isn't to argue over mastery weights, but to point out that Jaromir Stojka's issue is not necessarily due to the bar weight.

I open my shoulders for my handstand sessions with a 3 lbs barbell. (150 lbs bodyweight). This is another case study in a fat-tailed scenario to show you that anecdote from the high level or low level carries no weight. Much the reason why coach sommer's opinion matters above anyone else's on this forum.

 

Jaromir, I would like to see a video of your PE1.

Hi,You wanna see mobility one?

Micawberian
Jaromir Stopka said:

Hi,You wanna see mobility one?

Hi, sorry for the late response I don't use the forums much! Yes, please, the PE1 im1 mobility exercise.

Jaromir Stopka

its been one month since i quit doing hand stand training and i am doing only mobility.It seems to me that i am doing only slight progress so far.Should i do that mobility training every day to speed up progress?

Ravn
Jaromir Stopka said:

its been one month since i quit doing hand stand training and i am doing only mobility.It seems to me that i am doing only slight progress so far.Should i do that mobility training every day to speed up progress?

I don't believe that you should. Weighted dislocates are as much about strength as they are about mobility. Twice a week should be sufficient, as you can easily overdo these and end up injured.

 

I'm also not certain that stopping handstand training is such a good idea. Learning to balance in a straight handstand is completely different from an arched handstand, and mobility alone will not teach you that. It's like learning to walk a slackline by doing leg presses for strength and standing on a BOSU ball for balance. Would they assist you in learning the skill? Yes, probably. Would they actually teach you the skill? Absolutely not.